Looking at a 2003 Viper tomorrow...what to look out for?

Viper916

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has 17k on it. It is a salvage from a front left accident. Seems to be put together real well...based on pics. He is asking 30k or OBO. Are there any common problems for 2003? What would be a good price for the car say it is in good condition?

xRUSTYx

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd say $30k is a bit high ... I'd try and haggle down to low $20k's. You likely won't be able to get full coverage on it, so you need to make sure you're ok with losing $20 - $30K if you total it.

Get under the car if you can and check for frame rail damage. Frame Rail Damage = BIG NO NO ... Don't care at what cost.

Where is the car located? You might be able to find a VCA Member willing to meet you there and go over the car with you!

Good luck!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everybody has a budget but I would think for a few more thou you could find a clean titled higher mileage Gen 3?

kblake905

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would think most people on this board would say 30 K is a reasonable price, (ie: they would not sell their Gen III for less if it was properly repaired) , having said that front wheel bearings were a problem for me.

OP
OP
V

Viper916

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are before repair pics. The damage doesn't look too bad. Why does the car look lifted from the rear shot pic? Maybe ebrake?
The car is located near Sacramento. Are door regulators an expensive repair?

You must be registered for see images attach

Wiretech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would stay away from salvage vehicles from my experience unless you can the damage report, I use to work at a body shop and I've seen all kinds patch jobs before they sell.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why does the car look lifted from the rear shot pic? Maybe ebrake?

Maybe because it was in an accident..............................................................

Are door regulators an expensive repair?

The last thing, or second to last thing, I'd be worried about on this wreck are door regulators.

$30K for a salvage GenIII is WAY TOO HIGH IMO for salvage. Who did the repair work? What was repaired? Frame? Paint, panels, etc. So many questions that require a bullet-proof trail of facts, paperwork and reputable shops that have worked on this salvage Viper. You may be better off looking for a no-stories GenIII even if it costs a little more.

You mentioned before repair pics. Are there after-repair pics?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just saw that auction. Owner states "...Driver gave to much gas and couldn't control the 505HP, causing some cosmetic damage to the front end." Cosmetic? OK. Definitely have it thoroughly inspected by someone that knows Vipers....and frame repair.

OP
OP
V

Viper916

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Tony. Anybody know a good place to take it to in the Sacramento area?

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont understand salvage cars. You buy it cheap, you have to sell it cheap. Plus, it usually costs a fortune to sort it out. And maybe its just me, but I can always "tell" a salvage car. Hard to describe, but when ever I see a salavge car, there is always at least one or two body panels, poor paint blend, etc, screaming out. they just never look "right", if you know what I mean.

Plus, Insurance issues,etc. I know, you'll probably keep it forever. thats what I say, everytime I get that new car smile on my face, Ha..!

Agree with above. spend the money for the right car.

PS- that car may have been wrecked prior. the missing facia emblem, is always suspect. But if its in a yard, someone might have popped it off also.. there are many vipers that have had multiple wrecks, and been repaired multiple times. run, would be my advice.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree. You can buy a good used '03 in the $30's and won't have to worry about any issues down the road. The windown regulator thing is not something that you could necesarily look out for - as they may work fine one day and start to give you problems the next. Every Gen. 3 Viper whether it has 17k miles, 3k miles, in pristine condition or salvage can have a regulator go bad at any time. This is a known common issue on the Gen 3's and its problematic cause is not due to damage from impact per se. It was a cheaply designed and manufactured part that wears out way too prematurely. I believe the intent from others was to give you a "heads-up" to check for the window function and if they aren't functioning properly, you're look at a minimum of $731 in parts cost alone for one side only (the other side is approx. $1000) - but the same is true for any Gen. 3 Viper you may have your heart set on. I personally have been down that road twice already.......

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wheel gap on the rear drivers side looks very small, and the wheel gap on the rear passenger side is very large. Like it's leaning toward the driver's side. Twisted fame? Damaged suspension?

OP
OP
V

Viper916

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll hit up Toddy and have him look it over if it passes my initial inspection.

Slayer...I noticed the same thing and that is really concerning. I'll go check it out and see what he has to say about it. The car is local so no biggy.

Flexx...appreciate the info. You're probably right about buying a clean 03 with no issues.

ScrewDrvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the passenger rear wheel gap looks like a normal gap for a stock viper(huge), the driver side looks like there is something up with it though. The front tire is flat, so maybe thats why its leaning so much.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the passenger rear wheel gap looks like a normal gap for a stock viper(huge), the driver side looks like there is something up with it though. The front tire is flat, so maybe thats why its leaning so much.

If you're talking about the "after" pics, yes, the wheel gaps look normal (both of them). If you're talking about the "wrecked' pics, look again. The passender side gap is HUGE. That would definitely scare the hell out of me. Front driver's side impact that caused a back end that is way out of whack from side to side = BAD!

OP
OP
V

Viper916

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could it be that the front left smashed and lowered which would cause a teetering making the rear passenger higher?

FEDBYVORTECH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You should call your insurance broker and see what kind of insurance they will give you. I was told certain states will not give you collision if it is a rebuilt salvage title. I emailed a friend who is a broker he said no problem full coverage. I am not sure if he was doing me a favor or is that company policy. I am in NY on Long Island.

ViperCobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My opinion.. I would stay away from Salvage Title, maybe just me. Don't want to have problems later on :(

OP
OP
V

Viper916

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I took a look at the car with my brother and a buddy who owns a viper. Overall pretty nice car and willing to do for 28k out the door since it was from a private dealership.

Issues:
Paint could be a little better, but looks pretty good overall
front bumper was repaired by a fiberglass guy. Should have been replaced. The piece missing in the pics was in the trunk. Hardly noticeable, but still
The driver door panel was popped off when they had to get into the car for something and did not have the key...used a slim jim or something...so it was damaged, but not bad...could be covered in leather or suede
The rear trunk didn't align as good as it should have...not sure why

After thinking about it...I am going to wait til winter and find the right one. There were some deals last winter, but I bought a house so I put it on hold. But this winter for sure it will happen.

Thanks guys

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you made the right decision....you may even find one sooner than winter. Hang in there!

Pythonpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I took a look at the car with my brother and a buddy who owns a viper. Overall pretty nice car and willing to do for 28k out the door since it was from a private dealership.Issues:paint could be a little better, but looks pretty good overallfront bumper was repaired by a fiberglass guy. Should have been replaced. The piece missing in the pics was in the trunk. Hardly noticeable, but stillThe driver door panel was popped off when they had to get into the car for something and did not have the key...used a slim jim or something...so it was damaged, but not bad...could be covered in leather or suedeThe rear trunk didn't align as good as it should have...not sure why After thinking about it...I am going to wait til winter and find the right one. There were some deals last winter, but I bought a house so I put it on hold. But this winter for sure it will happen.Thanks guys
If they took shortcuts on the outside one has to wonder what they did on the inside. STAY AWAY!

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Always stay away from salvage cars with shortcuts. I have repaired well over 30 vipers and salvage is the only way to go if it is done right. If not then just a headace. I don't know why people cheap out on there repairs. Always cost them more money when it is time to sell. When I am done they look like new.