looking for a few more mods

twinvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 00 GTS with B&B cat-back,tubes,vec-1 and filters(also a 150 shot).

Don't want to make the car any louder. Thinking of throttle bodies,headers,gears,rockers or ?

Anyone do one of these at a time ? Dyno numbers before and after ?

Will throttle bodies help a basically stock car ?

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ZOSicks,

Do you use the car as a daily driver or is it more of a weekend racer? Gears are great for 1/4 mile and seat of the pants fun, but are not always best for a daily driver. Throttle bodies are more of a component that is for an upgrade 'package' - installing throttle bodies only may not net you much HP and can also kill a bit of the low end torque. If you were to add headers then a set of TB's (port matched to the manifold)it may show noticeable gains versus stock TB's. Have a great end of the Labor Day weekend!

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say stay away from gears, usualy just make your car spin more unless you are using very sticky tires.

Headers will add power for sure, on creampuffs they seem pick up around 20rwhp. Rockerarms will probably be a worthwhile investment also, have seen members pickup about 20rwhp also.

All the throttle bodie tests I have seen seem to loose power unless your car is force fed, or has ported heads. But perhaps Jason knows something I dont.

OP
OP
T

twinvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is a weekend racer(street mostly). Will probably go with headers first.
Can I leave the stock cats ?

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say headers first too from the mods on your list.
But I'd definitely do the high flow cats at the same time.
You gain some HP, but the big advantage is lower side sill temps. And since you are already in there putting in headers, it's easy to put in the cats then.

-Dean.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with the high flow cats if you are changing headers and don't want a lot of noise(as if you removed the cats completely).

Also the roller rockers worked well for me.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I do rockers alone, how much will I gain ? Whose should I buy ?

Most of the posts I have read have shown peak increases of 25hp +/- a few with midrange increses ranging from 30 to 40 hp. I will see if I can find a chart.

As far as type, it has been debated lately, but the majority go with the shaft mounted type(T&D or Mopar). These are the same, but Mopars are cheaper. I got my Mopars from Kyle Batman 705-254-4994, who advertises in the classifieds here.

Elite Motorsports (Vipermed 97,01) also has good prices/service on the Mopars.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack B's dyno before and after T&D's. Not sure the year of the car.

Graph

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mopar Roller rockers P5007049 .

My car was pretty quite to begin with. No headers, still have hi flo cats just muffler delete so I did not notice any change.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Misunderstood you the 1st time. I sometimes hear a little chatter at start up, but quickly goes away. Sometimes I don't hear it. You should not hear them chattering while driving if the lash is set correctly.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being the Newbie I am to Viper Mods, I'm curious as to how/why Rocker arms increase HP?

Thanks !

Jeff

very broadly - More lift at valve and faster ramp - meaning the valves open further and faster for same duration. This helps torque right across rpm range.

If LCA of cam is ground to 108 degrees - the optimon power will be achieved - but most grinders use wider lobe centrelines on EFI engines to reduce overlap.... which smoothens idle but looses torque at all rpms. Confused?

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

very broadly - More lift at valve and faster ramp - meaning the valves open further and faster for same duration. This helps torque right across rpm range.

If LCA of cam is ground to 108 degrees - the optimon power will be achieved - but most grinders use wider lobe centrelines on EFI engines to reduce overlap.... which smoothens idle but looses torque at all rpms. Confused?

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the explanation Barry ! Sounds to me like its similiar to getting a different Cam with out having to actually swap the cam out.

Cheers

Jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whiteinf05