Looking for a real test drive within a few Hrs of NYC. Swap with my Porsche?

rotate

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Viper community,

I'm very seriously considering purchasing a 2013-14 Gen V Viper as my mostly daily driver. The issue I'm running into is that with a car like this I really want to make sure it's something I could live with before pulling the trigger, and a five minute test drive just isn't telling enough. The Viper would be a large change for me, as I typically go more towards the British interpretation of a sports car.

I'm not so worried about comfort or ease of ingress/egress as I've previously daily driven a Lotus Elise S/C 220 for two years as my only car and considered it quite livable, and more recently I've had a Lotus Evora. Currently driving a 2014 Porsche Boxster which is a fantastic car but it's missing a little something, and in general I've found that modern sports cars are a little too digital and numb for me. Finally, I've been a massive Viper fan all my life and now that the stars have aligned in such a fashion that I could actually go forward with what would be a lifelong dream, I want to be careful not to rush into something uneducated.

I'm also on the younger side (25) and I realize how fortunate I am and how potentially absurd it would be to outsiders for me to have a Viper. I own my own businesses and have been blessed to be able to have had a lot of amazing sports cars, track experience, and am part of many great driving clubs. I've never had an issue getting test drives before (Lotus, Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, Maserati, and Aston Martin were all very accommodating) but Dodge dealers seem to be (understandably) much less willing to allow what for all they know is a snot nosed tire kicking little **** into one of their very expensive 640HP monsters.

Anyway, I'm making this post to see if anyone here on the forum knows of a dealer that would allow me to have some real time behind the wheel. Or perhaps, if anyone is willing to let me drive their car for a while (of course with you in the car if you'd prefer and/or take the keys to my Porsche as collateral) that would be incredible and much appreciated. A super nice bottle of wine would be gratefully exchanged. I'm in NYC and would be happy to travel a few hours to make this happen.

I'm not looking to exploit the performance of the car on this drive. I really want to ascertain if the ride quality, shifter/clutch, size, seating position/visibility, and 1/10th road manners of the vehicle fall in line with what I feel is an engaging, pleasurable drive. After all I do most of driving on the horrid NYC war trails we call roads. Of the 13 cars I've owned, 11 have been manual so I assure no clutch antics and I have had enough track days with the Lotus and Porsche guys as to have no real desire to push a car very ******* the street.

Very much appreciate any advice/suggestions. Thanks!

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might have to travel a bit to find a dealer that will let you drive the car. Here in NJ they do not let me passed the ropes that surround it. Hows Warnock dodge, I was once there at a car show and took 1st place in my Viper. They seemed Viper friendly .:usa:

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Viper community,

I'm very seriously considering purchasing a 2013-14 Gen V Viper as my mostly daily driver. The issue I'm running into is that with a car like this I really want to make sure it's something I could live with before pulling the trigger, and a five minute test drive just isn't telling enough. The Viper would be a large change for me, as I typically go more towards the British interpretation of a sports car.

I'm not so worried about comfort or ease of ingress/egress as I've previously daily driven a Lotus Elise S/C 220 for two years as my only car and considered it quite livable, and more recently I've had a Lotus Evora. Currently driving a 2014 Porsche Boxster which is a fantastic car but it's missing a little something, and in general I've found that modern sports cars are a little too digital and numb for me. Finally, I've been a massive Viper fan all my life and now that the stars have aligned in such a fashion that I could actually go forward with what would be a lifelong dream, I want to be careful not to rush into something uneducated.

I'm also on the younger side (25) and I realize how fortunate I am and how potentially absurd it would be to outsiders for me to have a Viper. I own my own businesses and have been blessed to be able to have had a lot of amazing sports cars, track experience, and am part of many great driving clubs. I've never had an issue getting test drives before (Lotus, Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, Maserati, and Aston Martin were all very accommodating) but Dodge dealers seem to be (understandably) much less willing to allow what for all they know is a snot nosed tire kicking little **** into one of their very expensive 640HP monsters.

Anyway, I'm making this post to see if anyone here on the forum knows of a dealer that would allow me to have some real time behind the wheel. Or perhaps, if anyone is willing to let me drive their car for a while (of course with you in the car if you'd prefer and/or take the keys to my Porsche as collateral) that would be incredible and much appreciated. A super nice bottle of wine would be gratefully exchanged. I'm in NYC and would be happy to travel a few hours to make this happen.

I'm not looking to exploit the performance of the car on this drive. I really want to ascertain if the ride quality, shifter/clutch, size, seating position/visibility, and 1/10th road manners of the vehicle fall in line with what I feel is an engaging, pleasurable drive. After all I do most of driving on the horrid NYC war trails we call roads. Of the 13 cars I've owned, 11 have been manual so I assure no clutch antics and I have had enough track days with the Lotus and Porsche guys as to have no real desire to push a car very ******* the street.

Very much appreciate any advice/suggestions. Thanks!

Don't waste your time with a dealer, in the SF Bay area there is a company that rents the Gen 5. Use your frequent flyer points, get your butt out here and enjoy the car for a 24 hour period.....that is the only way to know if you really want to go in this direction.

There may be other companies closer to you that rent the Gen 5, just don't know of any without searching.

Good luck and welcome to the VERY dark side, lol

George

mblgjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I rented a Porsche Carrera/911 immediately before purchasing my GenV.

There is no comparison as to the overall experience. The V makes the Carrera seem like a Civic. Nothing is disconnected or insulated about the Viper. You're connected to everything at all times. It's very mechanical, direct, and properly refined.

While the PDK in the Porsche is handy for sitting in traffic, the Viper has a very, dare I say, "soft" clutch feel and is totally streetable and never balky.

I was sorely disappointed in the steering feel of the Carrera. It was also quite noisy/clattery engine-wise. Just not a pleasing mechanical sound overall. The base GTS viper interior is finished nicer than the vulcanized rubber and plastic in the Porsche.

I was also unable to ever drive a GenV before the unit I purchased. I had total blind faith in a close friend that had track time with them and went off his descriptions; so far I have NOT been disappointed at all. The car is everything it's supposed to be.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You joined in 2009 when you were 20 and have three posts? I don't know wether to commend you on what appears to be an impressive amount of restraint or call you a bull$hit artist. I'm leaning heavily towards bull$hit artist....

OP
OP
R

rotate

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You joined in 2009 when you were 20 and have three posts? I don't know wether to commend you on what appears to be an impressive amount of restraint or call you a bull$hit artist. I'm leaning heavily towards bull$hit artist....

:(

On what grounds would my not posting and having joined many years ago make me a bull **** artist? Also, what do you purport that I'm showing an impressive amount of restraint against? I did indeed join many years ago to research vipers at that time. I wasn't super seriously looking, but I wanted to see what the community was saying about them. If you search my username, you'll find the same one on what I would guess at this point must be 50+ car forums, though I don't actively post on most, as I tend to create an account when interest piques in an particular car for whatever reason. I wasn't able to afford a viper in 2009, and I instead went in a very different direction and found myself in a used Lotus Elise S/C 220.

I don't know how I'd appease you or anyone else and verify that I am indeed a real person in this real situation, but if you have a solution, I'm all ears, as I would hope your cynicism doesn't spoil what I'd hoped would be an opportunity to experience a viper and make sure I can live with it daily.

One good thing about being on many forums is I know better than to take your post as a sign of the general demeanor here on Viper Club, as you're not being a very good arbiter of a welcoming or desirable community one might want to be apart of.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the VCA Forums. You write well - beyond your age and more polite than the typical U.S. 25 year old. Are you from the U.K.? Hertz in Houston, Texas rents the Viper. You should call the SRT toll free number and ask them if they are going to have a Viper test driving event near you soon. 855-778-8326

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmm, if you can live with an Elise as a driver, the Viper will seem like a cruise ship in comparison.
Vipers actually have an interior.

As the new P-car is probably nice, designed and built for 'nice people', the Viper is not nice.
It is an engaging experience that will be life changing.
You may have to do what most of us have done. -just pull the trigger on the dream.
As others have suggested, do the rental thing if you need to be sure first.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well said. I've officially been lectured by a 25 year old

On what grounds would my not posting and having joined many years ago make me a bull **** artist? Also, what do you purport that I'm showing an impressive amount of restraint against? I did indeed join many years ago to research vipers at that time. I wasn't super seriously looking, but I wanted to see what the community was saying about them. If you search my username, you'll find the same one on what I would guess at this point must be 50+ car forums, though I don't actively post on most, as I tend to create an account when interest piques in an particular car for whatever reason. I wasn't able to afford a viper in 2009, and I instead went in a very different direction and found myself in a used Lotus Elise S/C 220.

I don't know how I'd appease you or anyone else and verify that I am indeed a real person in this real situation, but if you have a solution, I'm all ears, as I would hope your cynicism doesn't spoil what I'd hoped would be an opportunity to experience a viper and make sure I can live with it daily.

One good thing about being on many forums is I know better than to take your post as a sign of the general demeanor here on Viper Club, as you're not being a very good arbiter of a welcoming or desirable community one might want to be apart of.

Last edited:

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell you what son, fly into DFW, I'll pick you up and let you drive my Gen II. It pulls similar to a Gen V but doesn't have the fancy seats or the nav system. You can drive the hell out of it...it's bullet proof. How's that for a "welcome wagon"?

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell you what son, fly into DFW, I'll pick you up and let you drive my Gen II. It pulls similar to a Gen V but doesn't have the fancy seats or the nav system. You can drive the hell out of it...it's bullet proof. How's that for a "welcome wagon"?

Screw that, I know you better than him, I will fly down and drive the hell out of your car.:D you crack me up.:)

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You fly I'll buy Steve. We'll shotgun a few beers then jump on the George Bush tollway and try to hit 200...

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

On what grounds would my not posting and having joined many years ago make me a bull **** artist?

free2go thinks that just because he is a BS artiste, everyone else must be. However, he is just special.

It sounds like you are a car guy with money. That's the best kind. Sure, try to get some quality seat time first; but, I recommend that you buy the car just to get a taste of a unique experience that isn't provided by the others. I don't think that you could possibly regret it.

OP
OP
R

rotate

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the VCA Forums. You write well - beyond your age and more polite than the typical U.S. 25 year old. Are you from the U.K.? Hertz in Houston, Texas rents the Viper. You should call the SRT toll free number and ask them if they are going to have a Viper test driving event near you soon. 855-778-8326

Thanks for the kind words and the welcome. Born and raised near in the NYC area, currently live in Brooklyn, though I do suppose I'm a bit of an anglophile as I seem to have quite the penchant for British built cars and bikes (I ride a Triumph Street Triple R at the moment). Appreciate the suggestions regarding driving the viper. It seems the San Francisco area, LAX, Houston, and Vegas are my options for renting a Viper. Vegas is cheap to fly to and stay in and I can pack a weekend of general debauchery and hedonism into the overall viper experience, so that may be a winner.

Well, that surely is a tempting offer that I'll have to keep in mind. I'd say that's a pretty damn hearty welcome-thank you very much indeed.

free2go thinks that just because he is a BS artiste, everyone else must be. However, he is just special.

It sounds like you are a car guy with money. That's the best kind. Sure, try to get some quality seat time first; but, I recommend that you buy the car just to get a taste of a unique experience that isn't provided by the others. I don't think that you could possibly regret it.

Appreciate the advice. I'm certainly an unabashed petrol head (I watch a lot of Top Gear...) and I've been fortunate enough to be able to indulge my passion from a young age. Which is certainly not to say I'm the poster child of financial pragmatism or conspicuous consumption, as I tend to lose some my rationality when it comes to things with engines, but thats just fine with me, I think.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala