Looking for GTS - '99 or '01/02 - black, sapphire or silver

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As the title states, I've sold my Cobra and I'm shopping for my GTS. A few that I've had my eye seem to have sold or the sellers have pulled them from the market. Others seem priced a little high for what I'm looking for, based on a combination of year, mileage, number of owners, etc. I do have a couple that I'm still considering and have been in contact with the owners, but want to see what else is out there.

Anyone have any leads? Colors listed are in the order of preference. Also prefer solid color, though I will consider the right stripe combination at the right price. Looking to spend mid-30s. If the car is exactly what I want with low mileage and few owners, I'll pay a little more.

Thanks!

OP
OP
W

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have opinions on how many previous owners is too many? I've searched here and on the Alley and found a couple of old discussions on the topic. I'm running into some cars with 5 owners and that worries me. I realize this is a car that tends to attract folks getting in over their head after it sits in the garage for 6mo, so the number of owners doesn't necessarily indicate abuse or neglect. It's just that these cars are also located across the country from me, making it very hard to get a warm'n'fuzzy. One car is a '00 ACR with 5 owners and 27k miles. Another is an '01 GTS with 5 owners, 32k miles and a rebuilt engine (OEM specs w/ new internals aside from crank - oil change place underfilled the car). The ACR is in Cali and the GTS in New Mexico. I'm in Ohio.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the mileage is more important than the number of owners. Some folks that are into cars don't keep them very long.

OP
OP
W

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't edit my post, but the '01 GTS actually has 36k on it. The new (rebuilt) engine has 800 miles. Very up front seller. Again, the distance makes it tough...

Does $34k for the '01 GTS or $38.5k for the '00 ACR sound like a good deal? I've stayed away from the 2000 cars because they have neither forged internals or ABS, but it is a clean car. Just a little more than I'd care to spend for that year, mileage and number of owners... looking for some voices of experience/reason.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with what some of the others here are saying. Number of previous owners should not be the issue so much as the number of miles. Where in Ohio are you?

OP
OP
W

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in Toledo.

There is a black/silver '99 GTS listed on all of the forums that I've been trying to contact for (2) weeks, but haven't heard anything back via e-mail or PM. Perhaps he took it off the market. 2 owner car with 24k miles listed at $38.5k. Distance is an issue being in Orgeon, but the car appears to leave little doubt. Biggest problem would be expense of travel and/or transport.

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There's a black '99 or 2000 in South Alabama with brakes and a few mods if I recall correctly. Had some miles, but was a well-maintained car and looked good in pics. I was going to look at it but stumbled upon another that was closer.

PM Mike (99GTS&RT/10) on any of the Viper related forums for details.

OP
OP
W

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I came across a thread on that car and it was a color I'm not looking for... maybe red. I appreciate the heads-up and I'll contact Mike to confirm.

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't edit my post, but the '01 GTS actually has 36k on it. The new (rebuilt) engine has 800 miles. Very up front seller. Again, the distance makes it tough...

Does $34k for the '01 GTS or $38.5k for the '00 ACR sound like a good deal? I've stayed away from the 2000 cars because they have neither forged internals or ABS, but it is a clean car. Just a little more than I'd care to spend for that year, mileage and number of owners... looking for some voices of experience/reason.

The prices seem okay if they can pass a thorough inspection by a quilified Viper tech. I think you could find cars with a better history and lower miles for similar pricing if you are patient though.

OP
OP
W

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The prices seem okay if they can pass a thorough inspection by a quilified Viper tech. I think you could find cars with a better history and lower miles for similar pricing if you are patient though.

That was my thinking. Just wanting to make sure I'm not being unreasonable. I offered the guy with the '00 ACR less based on his need to sell the car and it's year/owners/etc, but he didn't offer much of a counter and I think it just pissed him off. Not my intention! I'd probably pay $34-35k for it. Then again, I might kick myself for not holding out for a '99 or '01. No offense to the 2000 Viper guys and maybe I'm holding too much regard for forged internals or ABS. Coming from the 03 Cobra world, I'd rather have at least one of those.

azvipermike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Abs to me would be more important. you can boost a non forges motor and make more power than you need on the highway!

OP
OP
W

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the leads and help thus far. Talking with a couple of sellers and still looking for more options if you have them. I should have added graphite to the list of possibilities, but most '02 cars don't fit in my budget. Will also consider a 2000 if it is clean, black or steel, priced right and has no stories. Prefer an ACR if it's a 2000.

OP
OP
W

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. I spoke with him yesterday and might go see the car tomorrow. I'm on the fence about it.

scottmcc

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tim and I live in the same town and I have seen his car personally many times. It is a sweet ride. Plus I know he has lowered the price yet again today. He is hungry for that 06 Couple. I told him I have 20K cash in hand when he gets really desparate to sell his GTS for that Coupe. I have seen the 06 as well and I would buy that in a heartbeat ,so I know why he has the Fever!

On a side note, Tim is a stand up good guy and will tell you the truth. No he did not pay me to say that nor do I get any commission on his GTS sale.. LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim has been great with communication and very up front. Seems like a good guy.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Scott mentioned this via facebook so I figured I would look into it. Thanks for the kind words Scott (the check is in the mail :)... Haha, not really! Anyways YES I am all gung-** on that coupe and will sell my left pinky as of right now to get it!

WDW MKR as said please feel free to come out anytime to see my car, price is down to 30K, and open to negotiation etc. Another Viper owner that has seem my car is Frank ( GRNBGNE ) he is a big MCVO guy and we did some driving/dinner earlier this year so he can give you insite to the car as well.

Either way like I said BUY A VIPER you will love it!

-Tim

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, as I do want to sell my car pretty bad...... Tomball in TX has a Sapphire GTS for about 45K. Had to let you know. Its on eBauction site.....

Good luck as I said before!

-Tim

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, as I do want to sell my car pretty bad...... Tomball in TX has a Sapphire GTS for about 45K. Had to let you know. Its on eBauction site.....

Good luck as I said before!

-Tim​

That Sapphire car was mine I can tell you you wont find a better car. Paint near flawless with no mechanical issues.

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the first time since I've owned it (about 3.5 years) I just considered selling my 2000 GTS with 17,498 miles.

Steel Gray Pearlcoat, Connolly Cognac interior, First car I've ever owned that would be exactly ordered as it is. Traded a 996 twin turbo for it, never looked back. Has been a great car. Very stock, minor ugrades -

K&Ns, smooth tubes, PartsRack high flow cats, AB wires, iridium plugs, Michelin PS2s, factory 'early' driving light covers, air horns, cargo cover. Stays inside, air conditioned/heated garage. Never tracked. Non smoker. Super clean, pampered car. Not cheap.

PM for any details. Car is in Alabama.

OP
OP
W

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a beautiful car! I actually just moved back to Ohio from Alabama a couple of years ago.

Just purchased a car this past Friday, so this thread can be closed. Good luck with your sale.

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a beautiful car! I actually just moved back to Ohio from Alabama a couple of years ago.

Just purchased a car this past Friday, so this thread can be closed. Good luck with your sale.

Hey, that's GREAT! Maybe I missed which one in this thread. Do tell! Pics required, can't have too many. Congratuatlions!