Looking for mufflers

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I currently have a Borla exhaust system but have 2.5" inlets at the mufflers and 3" all the way out. I want to replace them with 3" inlet mufflers to make my exhaust a full 3". Anyone know of a good muffler to replace them with that sounds good?

Thanks!

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
PartsRack has done several Gen-1s recently, and the owners LOVE the deep-throaty(!) sound of our twin-12s. (Under $80)

These are 3" dia pipe, canister body, and have NO packing.
Similiar design/concept to a Flowmaster (which uses right-angle baffles,) these use 180-degree semicircles. Can use 12" or 24", and can adapt to OEM cats with ease.

I like the sound so much in my 1992 RT/10, I added them just last week into my 2001 ACR.

Do-It-Yerselfers can buy 4 of these, 2.5" inlets or 3" , and do a "3-muffler delete" in your rear exhaust Viper, and have a cat-back sound for under $300 in parts!

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Dynomax bullets, and they are really loud. I'm probably going to change to something else.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BigCarrot...Which Dynomax bullets do you have...they come in different lengths...the 16" are very, very loud...The 23 1/2" long bullets calm things down considerably...

Anthony...what length do you have???

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BigCarrot...Which Dynomax bullets do you have...they come in different lengths...the 16" are very, very loud...The 23 1/2" long bullets calm things down considerably...

Anthony...what length do you have???

Hey Gerald I don't post at the Alley anymore -

My Dynomax 6" round bullet mufflers are 16". Should be interesting to see how it sounds with my new motor. Before when I gave it gas under an underpass it sounded like a bomb went off. :eek:

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Jon, what would 1 under each sill and 2 in lieu of the rear muffler wind up sounding like(Corsa - scratchy / raspy on the upper end or that nice deeper and mellower, ala Borla or B&B type sound)?
Are they stainless?
Thanks

PartsRack has done several Gen-1s recently, and the owners LOVE the deep-throaty(!) sound of our twin-12s. (Under $80)

These are 3" dia pipe, canister body, and have NO packing.
Similiar design/concept to a Flowmaster (which uses right-angle baffles,) these use 180-degree semicircles. Can use 12" or 24", and can adapt to OEM cats with ease.

I like the sound so much in my 1992 RT/10, I added them just last week into my 2001 ACR.

Do-It-Yerselfers can buy 4 of these, 2.5" inlets or 3" , and do a "3-muffler delete" in your rear exhaust Viper, and have a cat-back sound for under $300 in parts!

OP
OP
Z

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll give the longer 23.5" ones a try. I really don't mind loud but do like the deeper sound.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll give the longer 23.5" ones a try. I really don't mind loud but do like the deeper sound.

Oh, you won't regret this...these are in the side sills of Glen Bryntenson's 2002 Graphite RT/10...no cats, and 3" back to 4" tips...very, very managable under low load...but open her up and look out...she's a bit loud...sounds just amazing!!! And you can't beat the price!!!

Get these in before Viper Nats!

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are all these (16", 23.5") stainless?
With hi-flow cats should I go 16 or 23.5?
Want DEEP but not ear bleeding LOUD!
Thanks

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are all these (16", 23.5") stainless?
With hi-flow cats should I go 16 or 23.5?
Want DEEP but not ear bleeding LOUD!
Thanks

We tried the 16 inchers last winter on a 2002 RT...too loud...cut em out and welded in the 23.5 inchers...Go with those...

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snake,
Were they just aft of the cat, or used as as a muffler delete?

If they were aft, what was done with the stock rear muffler?
Thanks

OP
OP
Z

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We tried the 16 inchers last winter on a 2002 RT...too loud...cut em out and welded in the 23.5 inchers...Go with those...

Gerald...when you say "too loud" would it be louder than say a Borla or Corsa exhaust with headers and no cats? How loud is "too loud"?

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snake,
Were they just aft of the cat, or used as as a muffler delete?

If they were aft, what was done with the stock rear muffler?
Thanks

What is a cat??? :cool:

I'm kidding...the RT we tried this on doesn't have cats...2002 Graphite RT:

Stock headers
No cats
No resonators
16" Dynomax Bullet Race Mufflers (in side sills)
Custom 3" Pipe running all the way from just after the flex pipe to the 4" tips...WAY TO FREAKIN LOUD! Significantly louder than Borla or Corsa with no cats...And high pitched too...Keep in mind this is a 2002, no lopy cam...But you could barely idle by a cop...but you could get by...

Same setup with the 23 inchers [/b](also in the side sills)[/b]....just right...marginally quite enough just tooling around, but under WOT...definitely louder than Borla and way louder than Corsa...

Remember, the 2002 we were playing with had no cats or resonators, and custom 3" pipes...

Dennis...I thought your RT was rather quiet at the drags...I assume you're fixing this! :)

Somebody try that 30" Summit muffler...Let me know if it's cool! :laugh:

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may have something that will do the job. Not only did they quiet my car down, but they also added some great tone. I have 2- 3" Stainless Dynomax Ultraflow mufflers (3" in/out, 5" round, 12" length) that were made for me with a x-pipe. It worked great and sounded even better. I am not using this piece anymore, and I would be willing to sell it if you are interested. All you would need to do is weld on some tips! You can hook it up with a standard 3 bolt flange or a band clamp. The mufflers are Dynomax WLK-17296 (Price is $116.95 each from summit), and I used the best x-pipe (Dr. Gas- retail $199.95). I would be willing to sell you the entire system for $250 (my cost was over $550 with labor and welding).

Let me know if you are interested.
Thanks.
-Wayne

OP
OP
Z

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald...I just want it loud enough to hang with the rest of the Chicago crew :laugh:

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So in "theory" which "should" sound better (as in NOT louder that Borla or Corsa) deeper is good, ticket magnet, ear splitting is not good.
1. Hi-flow cats and 16" in the sills WITH the stock rear muffler

2. Hi-flow cats and 23" in the sills with NO rear muffler

Thanks for the clairvoyant help!

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So in "theory" which "should" sound better (as in NOT louder that Borla or Corsa) deeper is good, ticket magnet, ear splitting is not good.
1. Hi-flow cats and 16" in the sills WITH the stock rear muffler

2. Hi-flow cats and 23" in the sills with NO rear muffler

Thanks for the clairvoyant help!

Go with number 2 - it should sound great!!

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, after much listening to Borla, Corsa, B&B, muffler delete and SnakeOyl, I had decided on B&B. But at $1300 smaks...... thought I might go the home brewed route.
Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi