OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couple of options:

cfhood2.jpg

cfhood.jpg

Thanks! I like the second one better, it makes the center section look more integrated, whereas the first one with the intake area painted makes it look like the center section is a separate piece.

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple of my chops:

You must be registered for see images attach

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your stock hood looks much better and more aggressive. You went backwards. It looks cool, but that's it. Now, if it was an '08-up hood in carbon fiber then I could see it being an upgrade, but this is a step backwards IMO.

Sorry Kelly, I'm going to have to side with Austin on this. I have to believe that the location of the vents on the Gen IV hood are important for cooling, but if I remember correctly, it was also an important part of the aerodynamics of the car. I remember a photo of an airflow analysis posted, with the air coming out of the hood vents. Anyone else remember that?

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry Kelly, I'm going to have to side with Austin on this. I have to believe that the location of the vents on the Gen IV hood are important for cooling, but if I remember correctly, it was also an important part of the aerodynamics of the car. I remember a photo of an airflow analysis posted, with the air coming out of the hood vents. Anyone else remember that?

It's all good! One thing I will say is that like SSG paint, this looks better in person. If I cause a heating problem by going with this hood, I can always go back to factory.

Harley561

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think it looks great the way it is having seen a few non-black vipers with black/carbon hoods.

Maybe someone should photoshop your pickup with powdercoated wheels and a yellow grill. That's where I would spend and have the ultimate twin package in the driveway.

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the weight difference over the stock hood?

I didn't weigh them to compare, but if I had to guess based on just moving them around during install, I'd guess the weight difference is negligible. I could be wrong though. Perhaps Steve could answer that question.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't weigh them to compare, but if I had to guess based on just moving them around during install, I'd guess the weight difference is negligible. I could be wrong though. Perhaps Steve could answer that question.

Hey Kelly,

The hoods are little lighter but no a ton, the 08 hoods are a few pounds lighter than the 03-06, there is just less meat on the new hoods vs the old hoods.

What a lot of people do not understand is that the big vents on the 08 hood are there for aero, not cooling. If the Vipers cooling system needed hood vents to keep the engine at temp ...Whatch out!

The vents are for releasing the underhood air that travels through the rad out and this reduced lift and creates downforce. The large center vents on this hood are designed for that as well as the large vents on the 08. The Comp Coupes stick like glue to the track, and the hood design is a great part of it. either hood will compliment your track experience though, it all comes down to personal preference.

I think you did great even if you hang this hood on your garage wall as wall art!

Congrats on the win, these hoods are no longer in productions so maybe in 20 years or so.... LOL

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Kelly,

The hoods are little lighter but no a ton, the 08 hoods are a few pounds lighter than the 03-06, there is just less meat on the new hoods vs the old hoods.

What a lot of people do not understand is that the big vents on the 08 hood are there for aero, not cooling. If the Vipers cooling system needed hood vents to keep the engine at temp ...Whatch out!

The vents are for releasing the underhood air that travels through the rad out and this reduced lift and creates downforce. The large center vents on this hood are designed for that as well as the large vents on the 08. The Comp Coupes stick like glue to the track, and the hood design is a great part of it. either hood will compliment your track experience though, it all comes down to personal preference.

I think you did great even if you hang this hood on your garage wall as wall art!

Congrats on the win, these hoods are no longer in productions so maybe in 20 years or so.... LOL

I knew I was right about the Aero properties of the 08 Hood Vents! :D

The 08 hood does help aid in cooling, as it lets heat dissipate from the engine bay of the car, which thereby allows for lower cabin temperatures. I believe the SRT engineers said that in one of their Q&A sessions. I didn't mean cooling of the coolant temperatures ;)

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I knew I was right about the Aero properties of the 08 Hood Vents! :D

The 08 hood does help aid in cooling, as it lets heat dissipate from the engine bay of the car, which thereby allows for lower cabin temperatures. I believe the SRT engineers said that in one of their Q&A sessions. I didn't mean cooling of the coolant temperatures ;)

It's a little hard to see from the pictures I took, but that center vent is HUGE....I'm sure the heat dissipation from that and the smaller side vents would be equal to the vents in the factory hood. And honestly, the A/C in this thing will literally blow frost in 100 degree weather...I'm not too terribly concerned about cabin temps.

Here you can sort of see how open that vent is, and it's directly above the plenum.

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Kelly, when can I buy your 08 hood to recoup your money? ;)

I'm going to hold onto it (and all the factory parts I change out). It's such an easy swap between the two hoods that I may just change back and forth depending on my mood. Women stand at the entrance to the closet pondering which pair of shoes to wear for the day, I will stand in the garage and ponder which hood to wear. :lmao:

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's an idea I had.

You could do the stripes in vinyl and remove them if you got tired of them...

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

:2tu: