M/T 315/35/17 on the stock 96 rims????

Nates GTS Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so I told the shop I wanted a good set of drag radials for my car. I took the rims in and they just asked what kind of car has a 6 lug bolt pattern and I said an old dodge. I was trying to not get hit with the Viper tax. So they order the tires and put them on and I go to pick them up. I don't know alot about tires and how they are supposed to fit but these look a little to narrow for the rim. If you stand back and look at the tire straight on you can see the rim on both the front and back. I have some pics but still don't know how to post them up on the board so if anyone would like to see them just give me an email and I'll send them out. They even said they would be ok but I know the members on this board have alot more experience in this department then I do.

So my question is: Is it ok to run the 315 in the stock 96 rims?
Thanks Nathan

Reaction score
Ok so I told the shop I wanted a good set of drag radials for my car. I took the rims in and they just asked what kind of car has a 6 lug bolt pattern and I said an old dodge. I was trying to not get hit with the Viper tax. So they order the tires and put them on and I go to pick them up. I don't know alot about tires and how they are supposed to fit but these look a little to narrow for the rim. If you stand back and look at the tire straight on you can see the rim on both the front and back. I have some pics but still don't know how to post them up on the board so if anyone would like to see them just give me an email and I'll send them out. They even said they would be ok but I know the members on this board have alot more experience in this department then I do.

So my question is: Is it OK to run the 315 in the stock 96 rims?
Thanks Nathan

315 on a 13" wheels is way narrow (especially) for a drag radial as they need side wall flex to work and in that configuration it definitely will not flex!

VJR3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nope nope nope, way to narrow. Would not even feel safe launching on that. You need 335 or even up to 345. You can do a tire rack search on what size will fit or even on summit racing. Learn to read the tire spec charts, its real easy.

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That tire sidewall can possibly collapse under extreme load, the sidewalls support the weight, the center is there for the ride. Get the proper size asap.

OP
OP
N

Nates GTS Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep I'm not running on them I just wanted to make sure the shop is the ones that messed up. Thanks again and I'm going to make them right the wrong theve tried to do.