Machine Polishing and Zaino Questions

Mark Swanson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just received a machine polisher for Christmas from my wife. She says I spend way too much time polishing the cars and hopes the machine speeds things up.

Any concerns about machine polishing?

Can you use Zaino with a machine?

Does it really save that much time?

(Note: The machine is from Griot's Garage. It's a $200 random orbital sander with different foam attachments that can be used for different polishing purposes. Even has one attachment that can be used to take polish off the car after it dries. Griot's told my wife that all professional detailers, etc. etc. use machines. Faster AND better than by hand, etc. etc. My car is a BLACK '99 GTS.)

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
l would concur with Joe. Plus..a little tip for easier Zaino application, is to mist the applicator pad with Z6..the polish spreads much easier.

Viper99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The random orbital sold by Griott's is a Porter-Cable, I believe.
Most pro detailers use a rotary machine to polish. These rotate in one direction at speeds up to 1800+ rpm's.
If you are nor trained you can burn through your paint in no time. A random orbital polisher rotates at low speeds in both directions more closely mimmicking hand motions. You will not burn through your paint with this. A random orbital machine will get out fine swirl marks but not deeper scratches. Just make sure you avoid rubbing the power cord/extension cord on the car.
I use a random orbital machine with 3M swirl remover for dark cars then finish by hand with polishes or waxes such as Zaino or Formula 113.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the BEST buffer/polisher you (your wife) can buy. I actually had the folks at Griot's do a demo on my 96 white RT/10 at their place ; just down the road from where I live. They did side by side machine and hand applications. The machine was faster and produced superb depth of shine.
Take it easy and read their instructions carefully, you will not be disappointed!!
Later,

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R