making gen IV hood grills?

cujo200231

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well I have my gen IV hood on my car now and I am ordering the hood silencer, push pins, foam and deflector today. At a price of around $500 bucks for the 6 hood grills, I'm completing buying some plastic honeycomb mesh and mounting them under the hood. Possibly metal and giving it a slight bend so it raises slightly into the vents.

2 questions. Do the grills on the oem look like the are mounted below the vents or are they a molded plastic so they come up into the vent? also, is the actual honeycomb part of the grill a mesh material or is it a thicker molded plastic?

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's all one-piece molded plastic. The grilles are recessed into the openings and the lip/flange is what makes contact with the underside of the hood. The lip/flanges have holes which are used to secure the grilles to the hood using push pins.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also, check with the Viper salvage places for a set of good used ones if you want OE. You'll will need the push-pins which you can buy online from a plastic fastener specialty company (I have the site and the part number) for about $30 for a box of 50. I believe Dodge sells the individual hood grille push-pins for about $5 each (VPA now sells them for $1 each)!!! New grilles should come with a set of push-pins.

Last edited:

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the 08 hoods first came out you couldn't buy the vents so we made these. $50.00 in materials? Vents the hood even better than the stock. Also, consider skipping the pad, that's how the ******** ACR's come, paint looks better than black pad.
Good luck, Mike

08_vents_top.JPG

08_underside.JPG

OP
OP
C

cujo200231

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can buy them at vpa for half that price.

Since im not a VCA member, they would run me $425 on there :(

Also, check with the Viper salvage places for a set of good used ones if you want OE. You'll will need the push-pins which you can buy online from a plastic fastener specialty company (I have the site and the part number) for about $30 for a box of 50. I believe Dodge sells the individual hood grille push-pins for about $5 each (VPA now sells them for $1 each)!!! New grilles should come with a set of push-pins.

I called the collision shop that I bought the hood from (I believe sponsor here) and all they have is new ones. But I will be keeping my eye out for them and if i find them, I will be hitting you up for where to get those pins.

When the 08 hoods first came out you couldn't buy the vents so we made these. $50.00 in materials? Vents the hood even better than the stock. Also, consider skipping the pad, that's how the ******** ACR's come, paint looks better than black pad.
Good luck, Mike

08_vents_top.JPG

08_underside.JPG

This is probably what I am going to do until I can find a good deal on a set of grills.
Also, I dont want the hood pad at all...I just dont know how hot the hood gets. My car is completely vinyl wrapped and I dont want it bubbling from heat. It would be nice if I didnt need it because I really dont feel like spending the cash on it

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Truth be known, leaving the grills off altogether will decrease front end lift and aid venting of underhood heat.
All the ACR-X guys have removed them.

OP
OP
C

cujo200231

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Truth be known, leaving the grills off altogether will decrease front end lift and aid venting of underhood heat.
All the ACR-X guys have removed them.

Very interesting.
Off topic but I dont want to start another thread, does anyone know the approximate heat a stock gen 3 engine gives off underneath the hood? 3m claims that their vinyl can withstand temps up to 225 degrees

OP
OP
C

cujo200231

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the grills and deflector! I could not have asked for a better price and faster shipping. I will be doing much more business with you!

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very interesting.
Off topic but I dont want to start another thread, does anyone know the approximate heat a stock gen 3 engine gives off underneath the hood? 3m claims that their vinyl can withstand temps up to 225 degrees

Haven't looked, but I can if need be...

You must be registered for see images attach

F

FrgMstr

Never installed those on my Gen III car with the Vipair hood. Always thought it looked pretty damn cool without the grills. Have considered taking those off my Gen IV car....of course there is always a down side to leaving those off.

You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960