masking tape a dead giveaway?

JetMec

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking over a 96 viper and found old masking tape on the underside of the trunk. Is that a dead give away for a repair or would the factory use masking tape? The vehicle was at a very reputable dealer.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind that although the first paint job would never require masking tape from the factory, if there was any 'in system damage' after paint but before delivery the car is rerouted to a 'repro' area, where the car is repainted in the affected areas, where yes, masking tape is used.
From my last tour of the Viper plant, I believe the repro area is offline, and done in a booth setup similiar to a collision shop.
At the higher volume DCX plants the repro line is a diverted line from the main line and actually have dedicated departments that fix ISD and other problems on the fly!
Technically your car can be repainted before it leaves the factory, I have seen the same car hit repro 3 times or more, scary no?
Ryan

ViperLSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is in reply to genXgts,
There is NOT a place in CAAP (Viper assembly) where we "repaint" any part of the car. If a part has in system damage we REPLACE that part with a new piece. There is not a "booth" offline like in a collision shop. Yes, we do have a reprocessing area. This area if for replacing the parts that need to be replaced. If a part is found we notify the supplier for a replacement. The car is then put in this area.

Thomas
P.S. We do and have always built top quality Vipers.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Top quality in reference to what?
Awesome car, no one can argue that, but as a member on this site you surely must read some of the quality concerns posted here?

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ryan,

Don't even think about starting something here about Quality with Thomas. He builds Vipers for a living. I strongly suspect that he knows just a bit more about automobile quality than you do.

How many Vipers have you owned? For that matter how many cars have you owned? I am real happy to see folks from Team Viper (yes I know they have a new name, but I liked that one) posting here. Their input is invaluable and I not have folks like you ******* them off just so you can spout second hand information and innuendo!

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't say that this applies to tape being under your trunk, but in replacing my 1/4 panel, there is a body shim taped in place with you guessed it, masking tape!! Factory procedure...Looks like the tape was necessary to hold the shim in place until the 1/4 panel was rivetted in place.

Tomer

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can back genXgts on some of the so called quality issues. I have had two vipers where can I start. We could get a huge post going on this issue. There does seem to be a problem with quality control, sorry if you guys get mad about that. For a $70,000 plus car there should be a few more quality refinements. Which is hopefully fixed with the 03 Viper

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That may be from the factory. I have found masking tape on my car as well as zip ties holding body panels on. I bought the car new. When I had the rear facia and bumper off I found Mixed and matched metric/standard bolts. Screws, tape, wire ties. But the thing is held on really well. At least I didnt find styro-foam yet.
smile.gif
THE VIPERS ARE BUILT WELL to say the least, just with a little down-home american inginuity.

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found some masking tape on a 97 viper I had bought with 2,700
miles on it and I was concerned about a repaint. I had the car
checked by a very knowlegable Viper Tech who said the car didn't appear to be a repaint. It was a minor amount of masking tape so
who knows why it was there? Have the car checked by a Viper Tech
and you'll sleep better.

As for the Quality of the Viper, I can see dramatic improvements
between my 97 and 01 Vipers in fit and finish.
Remember though the Viper is not a Ferrari, it's a RAW, PURE,
Sports Car. That's what most of us like about it. If its a Porche or Ferrari or NSX you want than you may not be happy with
a Viper. I have had Porches, BMWs, Vettes among others and like each car for it's uniqueness. The Viper is Unique in its own ways and that's what I like about it. I would be the first to agree that the Viper does not have the refinement of a Porche or Ferrari, but I wouldn't give up my ACR for one either. I might someday get a Ferrari, but it wont be because I don't like the Viper.

2Charmed

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having had most of the body panels off my car at one time or another, I have NEVER seen masking tape on the exterior of the car - however, I have seen stray masking tape onthe inside of the front fascia and rear bumper cover.

Bob is right in that there is NO PAINTING done at CAAP. (Easier on the environmental concerns...) so nothing gets repaired / repainted at CAAP.

I would think there has been a repaint in this car's history somewhere...

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gee Bob, been a while since I have been on the site, just did some catching up on the threads and had to laugh at yours!
Thanks for the intelligent insight!
Did you get a chance to read Yellow's thread that's currently at the top of the heap for replies? Awaiting your end all reply to that vehicle quality thread.....
The quirks in a Viper's quality is what makes it alluring, when it leaks in the interior, it's a good sign to get out of the rain, when the window pops out of its channel at high speed, it's time to slow down, I could go on and on, but why bother....
That's what makes the car what it is, ring a bell, a 60's supercar that even had the same colors? what a coincidence.....
To have passion about a car is great, to allow that passion to disguise discussing both the pros and cons of a vehicle is a crime in my book. That's what this site is all about......
Regarding Thomas, I think that's great he has pride in building at CAAP, but to deny quality issues just loses credibility, they are mostly not assembly issues relating to his work.
Let the smack talk continue, this is good!
Ryan
For the record, I think I am at around 15 cars or so in my late 20's Bob, some slow, some as fast as yours, how about you?

Todd Richmond

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My used 97 has similar tape around the hatch seal and I seriously doubt it has had a repaint. I think this can be chalked up to Chrysler quality control. 450+ HP or Honda quality - you can't have both
smile.gif

Todd

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery