Maybe leaning towards a new coupe, questions???

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been thinking of purchasing a new coupe and can't decide if i should wait until the 08's, but they might be up there in price when they first come out.
I would like to sell my 96 GTS first though and was also wondering how the market is for them, any feedback to buying a new coupe or selling my 96 blue/white GTS would be helpful in me making a decision, thanks guys

FLX109

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Market for you car is mileage and condition driven. Anywhere from 42 to 59K.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wrestling with the same issue, minus selling the GTS first - the GTS is not for sale. I came within a hair's breadth of buying a VOI.9 coupe this last week, but the thought of what might be coming made me decide to hold off on getting a new Viper until after NAIAS. I can only assume the new car will be faster, but the question for me is how much more will the new one cost? Once the data is released on the new car, I'll know for sure if I want to get an '06 or an '08. I don't want to buy the '06 and be kicking myself when the '08 comes out.

imsa2004

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would wait until the 08 comes out. You can then decide which you like better and the 06 should drop in price. When we were at the Dealer a few weeks ago he joked with my son and asked if he wanted to trade his 96 GTS on a 06 coupe. Son said no thanks. I asked my Son if he wanted to get a price just to see and he told me he wouldn't trade his 96 for a new 06 even up.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would wait until the 08 comes out. You can then decide which you like better and the 06 should drop in price. When we were at the Dealer a few weeks ago he joked with my son and asked if he wanted to trade his 96 GTS on a 06 coupe. Son said no thanks. I asked my Son if he wanted to get a price just to see and he told me he wouldn't trade his 96 for a new 06 even up.

Smart kid!!

OP
OP
F

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe thats what I will do, wait until the 08's and make a decision then , thankyou for the advice.

FLX109

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do it! I've had both and would never go back to a Gen 2. The Gen 3 is a much better Viper! Plus you can get some good deals now on Gen 3's. Those deals might disappear since the Gen 4 may cost over $100k+. :eek:

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I asked my Son if he wanted to get a price just to see and he told me he wouldn't trade his 96 for a new 06 even up.
You must be registered for see images

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never will sell my Gen II. Would never get what it is worth without a few too many tire kickers or cheap car salesmen. Save up for 2nd Viper and get bigger garage.

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy the Gen 3, enjoy it, wait until they they work the bugs out of the Gen4, then buy the Gen4.

The Gen3 is a vastly improved car over the 1996 and it sounds like you would appreciate the improvements (some of us still like the ergonomically challenged clown shoe).

OP
OP
F

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I am going to put my 96 GTS back to stock, I have all stock parts, sell the supercharger and parts, car has only 8000 miles so I should be able to get a decent price, then I will go for a new Viper Coupe in the spring.

FLX109

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the way I see it there will always be a better car to buy

so drive as much Viper as you can afford NOW.

life is short

D

DAMN YANKEE

My 2 cents.

One can remain confident that the drive train in the newest Viper should always be an improvement over the old models. Got that.

That isn't the issue many of us struggle with. Chrysler now designs their Viper bodies with a framing axe. I heard an interviw with the guy that designed the newest Viper. Nice guy, bright smile, animated, youthful and lots of words like "carrying on the tradition, heritage" etc., etc. Definately understands that those of us that buy Vipers want performance, BUT he is absolutely talentless when it comes to design or surrounding himself with those that design well.

We are't one trick pony folks, I'd gladly move on to a new "platform", just not the angular, squared off, pinched nose vision he has to offer. Nobody can seriously view the current body design as a success, it isn't, its a mistep, awaiting a clean, new vision. The clincher for me is when I go to the auto shows and watch the reaction of the kids, they are stone cold on the new body.
Or watching people react to the auto mag coverage of the new Viper, stone cold.

True story, right next door to me is a guy with a 2006 viper. The best of everything. Every time I sit down with him, no matter where we start off with the discussion, it always ends up with him needing to tell me that he is thinking of selling his new Viper and finding a low milage GTS. In short, he hates the look of his new car. Why hasn't he sold it and bought his GTS? because he doesn't really want the old design either. He wants a great NEW design (don' we all?) but realizes that he is loosing confidence with Chrysler (as many of us are) that they will get on with moving beyond the current design team and their lackluster vision of the 2008 body.

Don't buy another Viper until you fall in love with it like you did your current ones. If Dodge stumbles and because you didn;t buy their newest car there are no more Vipers, well why in God's name would you want to buy the car that represented the stumble???

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is some mistep, take a look...angular, squared off, pinched nose, body by framing axe...riiiight.

http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=770793&an=0&page=2#Post770793

Anbody who can't see the beauty in the Gen 3 has got blinders on. And the comments about the reactions of others are flat not accurate, how do I know? I own one each GTS and 06 SRT....Different people react to one or the other better. I have had many view both in the garage and be more impressed with the 06 Convertible, maybe it's the GTS Blue paint, eh? I have had 21 year old college kids want to go for a ride in the 06 over the GTS. You can't really ASSUME the reactions of the public to Gen3 untill you own one and spend some time with the public. Otherwise you are just reflecting your personal views off others who no doubt will respond in kind. If you are standing at a car show with your GTS it's unlikely someone is going to walk up and say "That looks like crap I like the 06 better" Indeed human nature being what it is they will compliment your car and tell you it's their favorite model.
I've had fun with this when I have the GTS out. People will say...Oh, that's my favorite Viper." I say "really, I have one of the newest generation also and I'm starting to like that better." They usually gush...Oh, yes I really like the new ones better I just did not want to say that as you have the older model." OLDER MODEL, they use the same term every time, it's fascinating. Try it sometime, they won't know you don't own a newer one.

DWR46

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i am sure many Viper owners will disagree with me, but this is just one person's opinion. I have a 96 GTS, 01 ACR and a 05 SRT. Honestly, the 96 GTS is my favorite Viper to drive. Each car has its good points and I only drive them on the road. I got the race track stuff out of my system 25 years ago. Here are some comments:

1. The SRT is hotter inside then either of the Gen 2 cars.

2. The SRT has a much "jigglyer" ride than either Gen 2, with the GTS being better than the ACR.

3. The SRT vertical gauge stack is mostly obscured by my right hand on the steering wheel when driving.

4. I really do not find that the SRT has more interior room, though it is advertised to.

5. I do find each Viper to be beautiful and distinctive. One is not better looking than another, they just have a different style. I find young people smile and wave to each of them.

6. Each car has a DC Performance upgraded computer, but is otherwise stock. I find performance is about equal among the three Vipers.

7. While the SRT is not as pleasent to drive as the GEN 2 cars, I love the convertible.

8. I do not doubt that the GEN 3 car would be a better track car, as it feels much more like a modern race car.

9. No question, the GEN 3 Viper has vastly superior brakes.

In the end, you really should hang on to the 96 GTS, and find a good low mile SRT convertible. They can be found at good prices and you get a Viper roadster. Have fun!

D

DAMN YANKEE

I really do understand how this topic raises peoples hackles. I really shouldn't have even responded to this thread, its almost pointless. I dont assume my reaction to the SRT, it just IS. I don't find others "respond in kind" to my reactions to the SRT, they have their own impressions of the car just like me. I call them their uncomfortable SRT moments (even those, as I mentioned, that own them themselves).

I am very glad that people like the SRT and buy them. I am equally glad that you are "starting to like that better". Progress.

You attached a very fine picture. Its the linear belt line from the windshield pillar, its the seemingly odd front fender returns, the pinching of the top line and the angular cut to the bottom. Hey its just me. We all know why they left the one piece hood. We all understand the constraints in doing so.

I like fluid. Here is a shot for you. Early Dodge, 1934 front end (DR 6 wheel coupe, rare). I keep a sharp eye out for the Dodge bodies and find that they get it really right about once every 70 years or so. Kidding, just kidding!! Merry Xmas.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love all gens... my only problem with the gen 3 srt's is that it looks like a lot of other cars. Yes, it still resembles the original, but unfortunately many other new cars are copying it (c6 vette). If DC didn't realize that gen3 was a misstep, they wouldn't have grafted on a GTS top and rear for an srtc. Granted it wasn't a huge misstep... still looks better than 99% of the cars out there, but in the 90's nothing even came close, especially at that price range. It took some 10 years for the car industry to catch up to the Viper, and I don't think any future Vipers will ever again have that kind of lead, but that's not necessarily the fault of DC. The industry has learned that performance sells.

Won't stop me from wanting and eventually getting a gen3/4, but won't convince me to trade my GTS in for it either.

Now stop quibbling and go out and enjoy your Vipers of all gens (unless you're in snow... then too bad for you!) :nana:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine