Mgw Short-throw Shifter Install

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I have my console out as Iam installing a red interior in my Graphite ACR....I have a brand new MGW short-throw shifter that I bought awhile back and would like to install it....I have looked in the illustrated upgrades section but its done from under the car....My question(s) are: A) Can it be done from above.? B) I see the boot is riveted on;are they easy to drill out and how do you replace them.? C) Any tips or tricks from someone who has done it this way.? TIA...Kevin

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 06 I drilled the rivets and used a nut insert to replace them. You use what looks like a rivet gun to install the new inserts and then I can unbolt the boot for subsequent maintenance.

On my 08 I just do it from underneath and it is much easier. If you have access to a lift I recommend this method.

OP
OP
ASPIRATIONS

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
F8L SNK....I dont have access to a lift plus I cant drive anywhere even if I wanted too,lol I was just thinking since I have the console apart.....Whats the worst part about doing it from above? Is it lack of space or getting at the 4 bolts..?

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct, the back right bolt is a bear to get to. It is possible but you may want to drill a hole to access it directly and get a rubber plug to plug it back up. I understand the no driving part. You could do on Jackstand if possible, but I understand the desire to do it from in the car. The rivets are not something you will find at the local Advance or ORielly's, may a specialty place like Fastenal. Most likely the dealer. This is the reason I went to Fastenal and bought the tool to use the crimp in place nut inserts. Made it easy for future maintenance.