Michelins and Viper days

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can only attend Viper days if you use (read buy :mad: ) Michelin tires. Why is this? I understand that they are the recommended tire from Dodge and that they support Viper days but this just doesn't seem right to me. If you use another oil are you disqualified? :confused: -No. If you use non-recommended brake fluid (read-better brake fluid) are you disqualified? :confused: No. Are Michelin good tires-yes. Are they the best tire? I would have to say that there are tires that are stickier so no they may not be the best tire :shocked: .

Can someone explain to me why this company has so much control over an event that they are INVITED to? They support Viper days for business reasons not because they love us or our cars.

I know that there is a very long thread about what a good friend Michelin has been to us Viper owners but this is strictly to promote their business interests. I, for my own reasons, will not purchase Michelin tires and I am aware that because of my decision I cannot attend Viper days.

Am I the only one that has a problem with a foreign tire company, or any company, deciding who can or cannot attend this event? Viper days is not cheap, Michelin is not paying for us to attend but they (for now) control who can.

Bill
(needing track instruction but will have to find it elsewhere :( )

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may have strong feelings and agree about what you are saying, but remember this is all for fun. You can still attend, just not compete for points. You will meet all the people and get your times. Personally I'm a Hoosier fan!

Stephen Yap

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may still attend Viper Days and use whatever tire you choose to shod your Viper with even if it is not Michelin. What you will not be able to do is to get points for the Michelin Challenge Series. You will still avail of the great instruction and track time.

JoeB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The key here is "Michelin Challenge Series" which Michelin sponsers. You can go to Viper Days and drive, but you will not get any points toward trophies or be able to get regional or national trophies in the series. There is no reason not to go, and I highly suggest that you do, Its quite a learning experience.

Joe B 01

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think (humbly) that you haven't been given all the details yet. If I may add some information maybe it will help explain how Michelin got to be the series tire.

Michelin officially sponsors Viper Days and they are an important part of the Viper Days group of sponsors (of which there are many great sponsors). Virtually all sponsors of any race series do so for business purposes to promote their own products and/or services.

Viper Days requires that participants run Michelin tires in the series they sponsor - The Michelin Challenge Series". This is not at all unlike the many pro series that have tire, fuel, etc. sponsors for their events. We all know who provides race fuel to NASCAR for example. This is included in the rules posted on their website under the "Wheels & Tires" section which I've copied just because...

5.2 Tires
Michelin is the series tire sponsor and therefore all cars in the Michelin Challenge Series will be required to run on any Michelin DOT tire. No other manufacturer's tires will be allowed to run for times, points or trophies.

Understanding your concerns, I might offer that Michelins significant sponsorship of this American Series for an American manufacturered vehicle which takes place in the US with predominately US participants could be used to offset other prejudices (which I also share to some measured degree) against France's current political position. I think any red blooded American could justify purchasing Michelin tires to run in this very American racing series that Michelin is gracious enough to continue supporting for our continued enjoyment of our Vipers.

Just my opinion. I don't like people making me purchase specific brands either, but if I understand how that brand is actually helping me it becomes a win-win.

Thanks for reading my .02,

Jeff

RockyTop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of us who love our Hoosiers and other tire marques (get it ? :D ), at the VIR Viper Days, I am contemplating having a "Rubber Renegades" trophy for the fastest and safest driver in my class (Unlimited). I urge others to sponser similar trophies in their respective classes. You cannot win this auspicious honor if you impact any other vehicle or stationary object like a wall, tree, etc. Off track excursions, however, are heartily encouraged for dinner story telling purposes, but watch it out there - - it's a jungle (full of Woodchucks) !!

Please know that this is NOT intended to be hurtful of Skip or his events, which I absolutley love and advocate to all Viper drivers. It is, instead, my small way of recognizing the fastest, yet safest, driver who simply wants to run what he or she brung tire-wise.

I am now accepting suggestions on what the trophy should be. MAKE NO MISTAKE, I AM NOT SPENDING A BUNCH OF MONEY ON IT AS I MUST SAVE FOR SOME NEW HOOSIERS !

P.S. If Skip feels this is inappropriate, I will defer. But I'll still run my Hoosiers !

Skip at Viper Days

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why Sponsors,

Viper Days and the Viper Racing League do utilize sponsorship to help fund the events. This is no different than any other driving school or racing venue. Entry fees are kept reasonable by these sponsors’ commitments! If sponsorship was not provided, the entry fees would more than triple and the series would be at risk!
Michelin specifically has sponsored Viper Days for four years and without their sponsorship in those formative years we would not be here today! The Michelin Challenge Series is just that! Their tires have been on the Viper since 1992 and are still the OEM tire in 2003. Michelin has constantly developed better tires and have now released the Michelin Sport Cup. This new tire has tested similar to Hoosiers and other DOT tires and it lasts longer! Michelin has many tires for you to chose from and you can be in the Michelin Challenge Series.
Sponsorship is a way of life in the driving school/racing business and will continue to be!
Viper Days & Viper Racing League Sponsors are:
Archer Racing Accessories
Autoform Development
Bill Luke Dodge
Bobby Archer Motorsports
Borla Exhaust Systems
Corsa Performance
Dodge Motorsports
Hoosier Tire Company
McCann Plastics
Michelin North America
Mopar Performance
Moton
Race Tech Seats
Stop Tech Brake Systems
Team Tech
Trailex
United Trailers
Viper Club of America
Whelen Engineering
Woodhouse Dodge
These companies have all contributed in some way to assist Viper Days & the VRL in providing a first class driving school and race series.
I personally thank everyone for their support!!

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>Am I the only one that has a problem with a foreign tire company, or any company<<<

Is this the problem? Being foreign. :confused:

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
>>>Am I the only one that has a problem with a foreign tire company, or any company<<<

Is this the problem? Being foreign. :confused:
No the problem is specific foriegn countries and companies. The french because they are active enemies of the U.S.. good news today is french unemployment is at an all time high and GDP at a low...way to go chirac your domestic decisions stink too! and the french prostitutes (men and women) that voted for you. As far as the Swiss go I just don't like your historically neutral stance on everything yet you are the main country that supports the evil scumballs around the world by hiding their money so you can make money...not very honorable or venerable a nation IMO.
Don't like my opinion...tuff...as an American I'm tired of helping the entire World with the sacrafice of American lives and with my tax $s instead of helping other Americans that need help and getting nothing but $hit in return from a bunch of old world europeans. Take care of yourself and shut your face.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luckily, I am not Swiss but Bavarian only!

"Sauerkraut" and "Lederhosen". :D

BEER!!!

You must be registered for see images attach

Holerödiöh!

Sorry, for hijacking the thread... ;)