Mini Gen V In the Works?

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Ralph wants to build out SRT as its own brand, another performance vehicle (SRT IS A PERFORMANCE BRAND!) would be a natural step.

I don't see them building a V6 Viper, as it would cannibalize Viper sales and disenfranchise Viper purchasers.

I could see them coming out with a sub $50k SRT branded performance car to enter that market.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't (wellhope not) think you'd see a Vet build out of the Viper, where there are three models of the same car performance wise.

I think it would just be a $50k price point performance car under the SRT brand

I believe they are talking a battery charged $300 mini viper that you can buy at Walmart.:lmao:

NVMYVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So can I admit I daily drive a Miata that is also my autoX car? I feel like I am at an AA meeting. "Hi, my name is Craig and I drive a Miata". I so need a bumper sticker that says my other car is a Viper. :)

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the price point of the GEN V GTS Viper in the stratasphere for most now, it does open up an opportunity for those that can only afford 1/2 of a new GTS Viper and spend $50K to $75K. Most likely Ralph is talking about either the new Cuda, Firepower or Demon. Either way you look at it, there is a market there at that price point.

A smaller car (Viper Junior, Garter Snake, whatever you want to call it) more along the lines of the original Shelby Cobra's size but with a blown SRT8 HEMI V8, is an absolutely great idea. At that price point, I personally could afford a new one and would be greatly, greatly interested. The new GEN V Viper as much as I love it, the cost has killed the idea of ever owning a new GTS Viper again for me. Saleen did the same thing as I owned a couple of new S351Rs over the years, and waited on the hype of the new Saleen supercar but then came the S7 NA at $375K and then the S7 TT later at $500K+. Loved the car but just could not afford the big boy.

Not everyone has the big bucks in the bank account. Wish I did! Bought the 06' coupe new after I sold my company in 07'. That was my present to myself and my wife's present to me. Just not in a position to afford the new GTS anymore. Not interested in the SRT version at all. A smaller Viper/Cobra type of car wiht the blown SRT8 V8 is one of the most brilliant ideas to come out of SRT over the years. Personally I can't wait!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Paul Hawker,

I kept thinking the same way you are with the Porsche analogy. The fuel debate is going to be a real problem in the future, a smaller Viper branded car would be a possibility to offset the gas guzzler issues of the big brother. Boxter/Cayman, family resemblance but not a 911. Makes you wonder , though, if we could see the breaking off to establish a completely singular brand -- Viper? Porsche evolved from VW, could Viper evolve from Dodge to be the American Sports Car icon.

I actually like this idea better than a line of body morphed clones like Chevy has done with the Corvette. I know the biggest complaint we hear from Corvette owners that trade in ZR1s is that no one knows it is any different from a regular Vette.

Though at a higher beginning price point , it is the same idea as Ferrari, Lamborghini , etc.

Ev1E9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about a small driver's car similar to the Scion FR-S with a V6...maybe even a turbo charged four. Style it similar to the Viper, and price it under $40K. SRT needs more revenue streams, and new customers. The Viper would remain the halo car for SRT, but there would be a lower price, higher volume driver's car in the portfolio.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly Bill! Had Saleen not had the little brother S281 come along to fund all the fun and excitement for the S351, then the S351 would have been no more much sooner. Even though they only sold around 100 or around 50 per year of the S351, they would not have had it after 1996 without the S281 car selling in higher numbers. I believe the same goes for Porsche in your analogy. Same goes for the Z06 aan ZR1. It does not water down the brand at all to those in the know of what the extreme performance cars stand for. It allows for the extreme vehicles to still be produced for those select few that want them and can afford them. Same scenerio for the Shelby. Without the Mustang selling in high numbers, there would be no Shelby GT-500.

It only makes sense and if Viper owners are worried about it watering down the Viper name, just name that little car something else. SRT is a small vehcile manufacturer now. No matter what you call it, people will probably just call it a mini Viper, the same way people call the SRT-10 truck a Viper Truck. Did that move take anything away from the Viper name or the Viper car? Nope!

I say bring it on!

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about a small driver's car similar to the Scion FR-S with a V6...maybe even a turbo charged four. Style it similar to the Viper, and price it under $40K. SRT needs more revenue streams, and new customers. The Viper would remain the halo car for SRT, but there would be a lower price, higher volume driver's car in the portfolio.

How about re-introducing the Coronet or even Roadrunner name for the new car?

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is another flip side to the coin being discussed:
Were such a car as is being theorized, to be developed and produced (cheaper less costly version of the current Viper, ie: Viper II); it would only be a matter of a few years before in all probability, development would push the car into a higher plateau, where once again cost would be an issue. That is what most often occurs with these type of cars - they evolve until eventually, the newest version, much like the current 2013 GTS, become affordable to only a few. And then it is back to the "Wish-List" drawing board.

I'm one of the many that cannot afford a new 2013 Viper, not even the base model. But (and I'm speaking only for myself); I really don't want to see a smaller Viper II version of the Viper. If they build a car like what is being discussed, I really hope they call it something else.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they build a car like what is being discussed, I really hope they call it something else.

IMO the Razor would have been a huge hit! I was drooling over the thought of a bare bones 2.4 turbo 2 seater. I think Dodge failed pretty big not bringing that car to production when they had the opportunity.

http://www.motortrend.com/future/concept_cars/112_0201_dodge_razor/

It only takes one ride on a Razor kick scooter to get hooked on its sporty performance and nimble handling. Now, imagine duplicating that feeling of freedom in a lightweight, high-performance sports coupe that keeps going long after your legs tire out! With this Razor concept vehicle unveiled at the North American International Auto Show, Dodge has partnered with Razor USA to build a vehicle that embodies the very essence of sports car design and points it directly at a youthful, trendsetting audience by also keeping it affordable. Dodge started with 2.4-liter inline-four cylinder engine, added a turbocharger and intercooler to force out 250-horses, and then used a six-speed manual transmission to send all that power to the rear wheels. In a 2500-pound car, this potent combination claims a zero to 60-mph sprint in under six seconds, and reach top speeds faster than 140 mph! Sound like fun?
Targeted at a base price of $14,500, many "off-the-shelf" corporate suspension and underbody components were used in this design to keep costs in line should this concept ever reach production. True to its minimalist form, the car offers only the necessities for driving, omitting such extras and frills as power windows or mirrors, even a radio. "This project really is about the power of purpose and purity," says designer Kevin Verduyn. Beyond cost savings, the designers felt that the targeted youth market would rather install their own custom system than accept a packaged factory stereo. Any desired extras would need to be ordered at purchase through the Mopar accessories catalog. What do you get for that entry-level price? An in-your-face "Orange Slice" paint job. Gorgeous, classic sports car styling. Lightweight competition seats with four-point racing harnesses. An instrument cluster with analog tach and digital speedo. Chrome bumpers and billet aluminum gas cap. Body-color interior with extruded aluminum touches. Two matching orange Razor scooters. And a whole lot of attitude. We hope this becomes the next big thing on campus

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dom426h nailed it perfect in both posts!!! The FRS/BRZ is the target. small 4 seater, rwd, mid 30s mpg, a driver's car, sporty but much better design than the current…I really like what toyota had subaru do and anyone involved with scca knows the miata is king. A car that could be club raced in scca too.

hmmmmm…..

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
While I think it would be a good thing for SRT to create a NEW model intended to compete with all those cheaper sports cars (370z, FRS, Miata, etc.) and I wouldn't terribly mind if it was amazing looking taking design queues from the viper and it was being a very good performer for the price... It would be catastrophic to call it a Viper or make it look so close to it that regular people can't tell them apart.

If they do... we will get to the point where vipers will be everywhere. It's like it happens with the Corvette, it doesn't matter if you have a ZR1 it's not special because it looks the same as a trillion of other corvettes out there. You don't have to convince anyone of the rarity or performance credentials of the viper, even the most neophyte non car nut person knows what a viper is all about. The Viper name itself carries with it a level of prestige that is unmatched by any other similarly priced automobile in the industry.

If they introduce a new model with another name and they take some engineering, racing technology, design queues from the viper to make a more affordable fun rear wheel drive smaller engined sports car that could double as your daily driver that's great... just don't even think about calling it a viper.

Last edited:

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with all your reasoning...they would never call it the viper and I doubt it would look anything like a viper but should look better than what is out there now...in my opinion the frs is a very good looking car...I think it has some styling cues from fcars. Could this be the cuda?...or that's the wrong market segment...ie are we eating camaros and mustangs or scions, subarus?

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before SRT was formed as a stand alone company I recommended splitting Viper off into its own brand. A high performance budget Ferrari/Porsche fighting brand. It looks like the top brass at Chrysler read my post and took MY idea. I feel so special.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with all your reasoning...they would never call it the viper and I doubt it would look anything like a viper but should look better than what is out there now...in my opinion the frs is a very good looking car...I think it has some styling cues from fcars. Could this be the cuda?...or that's the wrong market segment...ie are we eating camaros and mustangs or scions, subarus?

'Cuda needs to be Challenger based, someone on here had an awesome concept made with grille tail lights and all that looked production ready to me. The new one needs to be named something like Roadrunner, GTX or something from back in the good old days.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm one of the many that cannot afford a new 2013 Viper, not even the base model. But (and I'm speaking only for myself); I really don't want to see a smaller Viper II version of the Viper. If they build a car like what is being discussed, I really hope they call it something else.

I could have written this myself. Agree 100%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang