Modena vs Gen4.

CaptainDavid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the obvious, Comparing a persnickity, sensitive Italian drive train to a near bulldozer american v10. Not to mention 200 hp. My guess is you will get similar attention. Probably similar pricing. No doubt the Modena is more refined, but if the two were side by side at the start line, I want to be in the Gen4.

ZZ SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently bought a Gen IV and also was considering the Modena. One thing I will say is that while the pricing is similar on the two (Viper slightly less), the cost of ownership is not comparable.

With my vehicles, I like to know that if something breaks, I can buy the part online and fix it myself. A mere fender bender in the Ferrari will cost an arm and a leg, much less drivetrain issues.

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently bought a Gen IV and also was considering the Modena. One thing I will say is that while the pricing is similar on the two (Viper slightly less), the cost of ownership is not comparable.

With my vehicles, I like to know that if something breaks, I can buy the part online and fix it myself. A mere fender bender in the Ferrari will cost an arm and a leg, much less drivetrain issues.

dont forget the engine out service along with valve adjustment......what is that 15k every 15k miles or something? Parts and Labor for these cars are priced out of control no matter how old the Italian car is.

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My buddy picked up a Modena earlier this year. From what I recall, he said there's a fairly expensive timing belt change (or maybe it was valve adjustment) required every so many years/miles. Maintenance records are paramount. Startup procedure is strangely complicated and he noted its a little finicky until warmed up. Gets a slight gasoline smell in the cabin occasionally. He loves the car, but was a little surprised how "raw" it was (he's a cushy Lexus guy at heart).

That said, the car draws ridiculous attention in the few times I've been out with him. A bright red Ferrari stops traffic just about everywhere. The Viper is a different breed. Part exotic, part musclecar. I'd never give up my SRT... for any car, but um yeah... would still love to have it.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You would think that Ferrari could address this high ownership cost crap in the day and age when you can go 120k miles on a set of spark plugs. I guess this is how dealerships can stay in business with such low volume sales cars.:dunno:

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like when you bring it to have the air cond fixed and pick it up to find the trans now has an issue? :rolleyes:

SNIPERDOG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Or a Gen III with Greg Good ported,cam set up.,., I'm just sayin'

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "engine out" service doesn't apply to 360 and newer models. I'm not saying you won't need to take the engine out for something someday, but the crazy part of that being in the regular maintenance is long gone. However, the cost of regular maintenance / repair, and the odds of having to do said repairs are exponentially higher than on the Viper.

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as attention goes, this is coming from a guy who owned a murcielago. I find it that in a viper no matter where you go you get nothing but positive feed back from people of all ages, men or women. In the murci it was either love or hate. People either gave me thumbs up or looked at me as if I just ran their grandma over. Im sure a ferrari owner would exoerience the same as a lambo owner. I guess everyone loves American muscle........With that said if I could have just one car in my garage, it would be a viper.

robiferretti

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "engine out" service doesn't apply to 360 and newer models. I'm not saying you won't need to take the engine out for something someday, but the crazy part of that being in the regular maintenance is long gone. However, the cost of regular maintenance / repair, and the odds of having to do said repairs are exponentially higher than on the Viper.

technically the "major services" stopped being such a "must" with the F430.

Both cars are very different. You'll get more love from the public with the Ferrari but it does cost 10x as much to maintain as a viper. I had a few 360s (saw anywhere between $0.75 /mile and $1/mile in long term maintenance costs).

My opinion if your not a speed freak and just want the once or twice a month car to show off at car shows, go Ferrari if you can afford the service. ($5k/ year at a minimum)
Otherwise go Viper.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Word for word my opinion. I like to drive my car with piece of mind and no worries. Besides this there is no Ferrari dealer for miles, and even though I don't trust my most local Dodge Dealer it's still not too much to get warranty work done at another Dodge Dealer.

-Tim

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you find someone to service a Ferrari in Eastern NC?

The previous posts about the high cost of parts and service are too true. Check with your insurance agent too.

Derek Short

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i recently talked with a guy who owns a modena and he said the first year he owned it he has already put 15k into it just in maintenance.... And will soon need a transmission rebuild or something like that, can't remember exactly but he said it wasn't going to be cheap. I personally say go with a Gen 4 ACR. I think you will be much happier in a Viper. I was considering a Ferrari before i went with a Viper and glad i chose the viper after hearing about 15k his first year of ownership.
Unless you got really deep pockets and money to just blow... then go with the ferrari... wait.... actually if you do then just buy both. lol :)

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will hear it over and over that the F430 was a quantum leap forward in reliability and maintenance for Ferrari. If you're leaning to Ferrari (and I love them), it might be worth saving up for the 430 over the 360 Modena if you actually intend to drive it much. Talk to the people who have owned them (like robiferetti above), and you will get a lot of inside info on the love/hate relationship that is Italian motoring.

Last edited:

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any opinions on ownership of one over the other?....have at it!

I've had both the Modena and Gen 4. In a nutshell, the Modena is Italian art, class and style...the Gen 4 is brute force American muscle.

The high revving sound of the Modena with Tubi exhaust, was music to my ears...the Gen 4 with Corsa exhaust was raw and in your face-music with a different beat. It was a pleasure to have both of these most special cars, however the Viper is more bang for the bucks, and amazingly turned more heads down main street.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The biggest problem with owning an Italian exotic is not so much the price but the costs of ownership. Plus if you have a problem with the car there are far fewer places to get it worked on vs US made dealers or service. You are getting a real work of hand made art though, and owned by the few but keep an open wallet for repairs and maintenance. The warranties on a new one is usually 24 months with unlimited miles. That 24 months goes by fast but so does the car!!!

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The biggest problem with owning an Italian exotic is not so much the price but the costs of ownership. Plus if you have a problem with the car there are far fewer places to get it worked on vs US made dealers or service. You are getting a real work of hand made art though, and owned by the few but keep an open wallet for repairs and maintenance. The warranties on a new one is usually 24 months with unlimited miles. That 24 months goes by fast but so does the car!!!

My 2004 360 Modena maintenance (done annually) for 5 years was approx $3.5k or less....not bad for such a screamer.

Some say if you can afford a Ferrari, you shouldn't be worrying about maintenance....or gas, insurance, etc. Probably a good point for a brand new one, but buying an entry used one, is a more pocket book concern.

Your point on lack of service places is well taken, and it's why I only put 10k miles on in 5 yrs...never ventured far from home. Couldn't imagine leaving the F, broken down on the side of a road!! BTW, saw a comment regarding the 15k mile service. My dealer told me it would be several $K...and the engine would have to be dropped....and yes, the 24 month warranty flies by, another reason for the babying, especially on a lease which had to be bought out, and kept or resold, but nothing holds price like a well maintained low milage F.

JJS555

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've had both the Modena and Gen 4. In a nutshell, the Modena is Italian art, class and style...the Gen 4 is brute force American muscle.

The high revving sound of the Modena with Tubi exhaust, was music to my ears...the Gen 4 with Corsa exhaust was raw and in your face-music with a different beat. It was a pleasure to have both of these most special cars, however the Viper is more bang for the bucks, and amazingly turned more heads down main street.

I totally agree...I've had a 430 Spider and currently have a 458 Italia. The Ferrari will drive circles around the Viper because its limits are much easier to feel and drive to. However, I'm not on the track that much so I'd say the Viper is by far the most fun thing I have in my garage. The power is hilarious and there is definitely something to be said about a good old fashioned manual transmission. My 08 is much more involving blasting around town and through the countryside. And people love it too...:D

car-hor

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with the cost of ownership issue you will face on the 360. The Viper is a racecar and very simple. In all honesty, it's probably one of the simplest cars Dodge makes. The 'Viper Tax' makes having them worked on more expensive; however, this can be avoided if you can do a little wrenching yourself.

Just my 2 cents....

Michael

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wound up dropping by the local C&C yesterday kind of spur of the moment in my DD and there was a huge turnout. I watched and LISTENED to a few of these 360's come and go including a Challenge Stradale. I have always wanted a mid-engine v8 or v12 car and these seem to be attainable now at reasonable prices. I mean look at what it costs to get into an FGT and here you can find nice 360 examples in the $70-$80k range:dunno: What else is out there in that range for a Mid engine car that compares :dunno: I plan to keep my GTS and and add another car this year or early next and the 360 is on my list now but I must say that it's good news bad news with so many nice choices available and becoming available. Talk me down off the ledge here:lmao:

ROYMAN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Id say you are better off with the viper. If you can go for it, take a 430 or a gallardo - depending on what you are looking for - but you probably don't want a 360 given the maintenance costs and the fact that its more than just several models removed from today's ferrari.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper trumps every other super car in maintenance cost and repair. As much as I enjoy looking at other cars, I much more enjoy owning a Viper.

1bad540

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My friends Ferrari Italia just went in for a fluid flush after a whopping 1k miles, somewhere around 2500-5000 hmmm pass. Would love to own one but a 1-2k oil change isn't for me

Last edited:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My friends Ferrari Italian just went in for a fluid flush after a whopping 1k miles, somewhere around 2500-5000 hmmm pass. Would love to own one but a 1-2k oil change isn't for me

I know the cost is high but I call BS on this. What model Ferrari ? Did you mean Italia ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang