Mods for Gen1

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '96 has mild intake and exhaust mods and I think it really is the icing on the cake. Your list of mods looks to be about perfect. IMHO, after those listed, the performance return on investment starts to go down.

Installed rockers run about $2700. I think that's a bit steep for the improvement they would yield on a car without heads and cam. A set of 3.54 gears installed runs about $1800. I've heard this is also a preffered mod, though I think on the street you'd just roast the tires with them.

My $0.02
Matt

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd rather not mess w/ rear gears much... if a viper can go to 60 in 4.x seconds w/ a 3.08 gear..then thats fine by me!
smile.gif

I'd be afraid of the effect on the OD w/ a steeper gear.

What sort of intake mods? port n' polish the intake side of the plenum and heads? Do V-10's respond well to pocket porting the exhaust side?

OP
OP
M

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MadMaxx:

What sort of intake mods? port n' polish the intake side of the plenum and heads? Do V-10's respond well to pocket porting the exhaust side?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was just referring to K&N's and Smooth Tubes.

Extrude honing and port matching the intake and exhaust ports on the intake manifold, when done in conjuntion with rockers, can yield big gains, but cost big $$$ too. This is further than I want to go at this point, although maybe in the future I'll do both.

Matt

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd just scour ebay and places like parts rack for a set of viper heads and plenum...do a basic pocket port job (have done several iron and aluminum heads), mainly to remove any flash casting or roughness then flow test them. May not be worth the money, but who knows. Atleast if you screw up you have your original set to fall back on
smile.gif

May be cheaper to go w/ a set of already ported heads..but i'm pretty far from that point. My main concern is just getting the car at this point ;)

James

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I'm definetly going to get into a Gen1 very soon (love the smooth look..sidepipes may be loud/hot but they really set off the car's looks). I've already been fussed at by my fiancee about my planed modifcations... she told me I modify everything I own (and it's true..hehe).

I'm planning on these.. anyone comment?

1st) Smooth tubes & K&Ns (std. issue for entry level)
2nd) 3" pipe mod, headers, no cats and maybe borla muffler?
3rd) Vmania side-windows/hardtop (if it doesn't already have it)

I was thinking about a NOS system (keep it small.. maybe 100 shot) and a McLeod twin-disc clutch.

What else? Rockers worth the $ w/o extensive mods?

James

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang