MotorTrend Demonstrates Testing Procedures with the Gen V

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^LOL^^

They're obviously obsessed with our car!! Its like, look, Michael Andretti, Jay Leno, Top Gear (at least one member) and other people that matter like Dick Winkles and other true ********* SRT racers already gave it thumbs up long ago.

You know you love the car. Cut the crap and get one. Unless you're too afraid.......?

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great video, thanks for posting.

I remember reading in particular magazine once many years ago, that different magazines use different testing guidelines. It was explained after someone wrote in accusing their testers of being bad drivers because their times were slower than other magazines.

The answer was that in their testing guidelines, they would not do anything that would void the warranty like exceeding the redline or abusing the clutch. Other magazines would do what ever it takes to get the best time- even if that means they've ruined the clutch and rendered the car useless.

That was years ago. I wonder if that difference still exists?

~Jay

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I felt like he was short shifting in 2nd gear, or maybe 2nd gear is really, really short. Too short if he took it all the way.
That's what I was thinking (not knowing the Gen V trans/shifts)

I know I take my 2nd up to near 90.

Voice of Reason

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Second gear is SUPER short when you're running to redline in each gear. 1st gear runs out at 63 and 2nd runs out at 90, so the window that you're in 2nd gear is small.

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
without the dual clutch paddle shift transmission..the SLS wouldn't even be close to the Viper.
I drove a friends Ferrari 458 Italia that had the dual clutch paddle shift for a whole day.....and once you feel how quick and refined that paddle shift is its hard to go back to the old battle axe. Getting back in my 6 speed Gen V felt like going back to the dark ages...although I still love it....

Once the Viper gets this type of transmission it will be such a great performance improvement ..
I believe it will happen sooner than we expect...

Last edited:

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe we already took the SLS...smaller engine with less horsepower and it was the base...It was the Black edition that beat us but the compare was unfair. Put the Black Edition against the Time Attack model, not the base, makes no sense. As for the 458, I think the Gen V can take it or at least tie it...not sure. This car feels as fast if not faster than my old Gallardo...can tell u that much.

Played the vid again...not so bad of a vibe from MT after all; its just u sorta expect it at this point I guess.

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I believe we already took the SLS...smaller engine with less horsepower and it was the base...It was the Black edition that beat us but the compare was unfair. Put the Black Edition against the Time Attack model, not the base, makes no sense. As for the 458, I think the Gen V can take it or at least tie it...not sure. This car feels as fast if not faster than my old Gallardo...can tell u that much.

Played the vid again...not so bad of a vibe from MT after all; its just u sorta expect it at this point I guess.

Im sure the Gen V Viper can beat the 458. However, in the Viper you make one little mistake its over..where as in the 458 the paddle shifting can make anyone a good driver..or should I say..look like there a good driver.... doesn't take much skill..But sure is a great feature

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah, your Gen V should be faster than your Gallardo in most, if not all, performance parameters. :usa:

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah the Gallardo had an e-gear system which was very easy to operate; agree the Viper is much more of a challenge. Guess I really wanted to go in the other direction and feel challenge in operation and get a real driving experience; definitely think I succeeded in getting the V in that regard. So far I'm really enjoying Viper ownership. The guys in these mags that complain that its too hot too loud too much under/over steer, complain about clutch operation really just don't get it. Sometime you want these variables in your driving experience because its so much damn fun.:cool:

Still in the middle of my break in period so I cant say I've attempted Launch Control mode as of yet but I'm pretty sure its comin soon.:)

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Porsche 911 Turbo S with the duel clutch and launch control is instant,perfect shifts every time.I run 10.70s/80s every time in my bone stock my Turbo S.As owner of three Vipers , I will tell you,that the Old Dog 6 Speed does not come close, no matter how good of driver you are. You can bet the new C7 Z06 and ZR1 will have DC 7 Speed Trans.Hope SRT adds this to the Gen 5 so it can compete again.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Porsche 911 Turbo S with the duel clutch and launch control is instant,perfect shifts every time.I run 10.70s/80s every time in my bone stock my Turbo S.As owner of three Vipers , I will tell you,that the Old Dog 6 Speed does not come close, no matter how good of driver you are. You can bet the new C7 Z06 and ZR1 will have DC 7 Speed Trans.Hope SRT adds this to the Gen 5 so it can compete again.

The corvettes will not be DCT. Reason being they couldn't find one that fit in the body and could handle the tq for even the base stingray so forgot about higher powered versions. Unless they plan on making their own it won't happen.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Porsche is a dime a dozen though. I get that they wanted sustained profitability but they utilized brand dilution and massproduction to that end with panamera and cayenne production. These models have the same general styling as the true 911 car and i see themon the raod eery single day of my life. I still like porsche and therefore shopped the new C4s Cabrio against the new Maserati GT Sport but for the same dough I just couldnt have something so common when I could get something so exclusive. The Viper isnt the fastest car in the world but its the look, sound, feel, driver's seat, steering, shift, exhaust, the long hood in front of you that results in you being "bitten." Lamborghini makes 400% more units annually than CAAP did this year too; very exclusive vehicle. The PDK in the P car for me was back to the ideo game again. Is a 16 cyl Veyron quicker than a 12 cyl Aventador? Sure, significant;y so; but he Lambo still has a lot of personality and I think it looks better.

I've witnessed the launch in the P car and have to agree that its pretty impressive, esp for stock. The V is too for what it is, the gearing, clutch pedal, are all much more efficeint than previous gen's from what I understand. I'm not a great driver and I feel comfortable with it; still a challenge for me but my confidence increases each time I drive it.

Hope the C7 Z06 & ZR1 look different than the C7 base; the failure to differentiate that styling in the C6 model was a mistake imo. When you look at a GT2RS its obviousits not a 991

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets