Mustang gt-500 got me by a nose!!

jbrasco70

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This past weekend a gt-500 came up behind wanting to give it a go, I really had no idea it was a gt-500 ..anyway this car has some balls!! I own a 95 rt/10 stock besides thermostat and green air filters..We where rollin at about 45mph, i was in 4th gear and down shifted to 2nd as i usually do when playing around ,the gt was nose to nose as i stepped on it going into 3rd i had him by a nose as he was coming up we where doing about 78 at this time traffic was ahead and he just started pulling away i was just going into 4th and he had me by a bumper, as i slowd down and down shiffted due to traffic. This is the first time i really raced a gt-500 at the time i thought it was a reg mustang but knew this thing had work!Now i am curious as to what perf mods can be done ,,,moderate that is to bring my hp up.?:omg:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GT-500's have some guts to them... The thing that would really scare me about racing one in my GTS on the street is they have very good ABS systems in them. If you're going that fast and traffic closes in on you, you're gonna be in trouble...

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So let me get this straight... You have a 15 year old car (95's sold in 94 i assume), and barely lost to a >2 year old car. Seems like you're doing pretty good to me.

Let's see how a 15 yr old mustang compare... or better yet a new Viper.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Warfang. You did well in my book. Also the GT500s have close to 500 hp and yours has 400 I believe. You gave +- 100 hp and all he could pull was a bumper.

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of my friends has a GT-500 but does not have enough miles on it yet to break it in. We plan on having a little go at it in a month or 2 Ill have to let you know how it goes.

His is completely stock.

I have full exhaust headers back, 3.55 gears, smooth toobs.

Should be pretty close, I have never really raced my Viper hard , or against any other cars so i have nothing to compare to.

GreyKnight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You would've had him in the top end. Gt500 limited to 155mph? But doing it on a street/fwy with cars in your sight. Probably not a good idea, but I understand.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think most stock Gen. I's dyno in the 375-380 range, and the GT500 has 500 at the crank. Taking your car to the dyno will let you know where you should be shifting and give you a little bit of an edge the next time. The Mustang is significantly heavier too, no? So in a straight line it may be close, but on a road course you should devour him.

I embarrassed myself last year when I went up against a stock C5 Z06 and he pulled on me. That was with handful of bolt-ons too. I didn't know what gear to start in or where to shift, let alone HOW to shift, so that all factors in too.

REMATCH WEDNESDAY. If I lose with heads/cam and headers and all the other crap we threw in, I'm hangin' it up. 1993 RT/10 4 SALE CHEAP!!!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That car is a heavy pig. I would bet he had some of the usual mods(chip, headers). If it was stock, it was a strong car. Now you know it's time to upgrade the old 95 :2tu:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think most stock Gen. I's dyno in the 375-380 range, and the GT500 has 500 at the crank. Taking your car to the dyno will let you know where you should be shifting and give you a little bit of an edge the next time. The Mustang is significantly heavier too, no? So in a straight line it may be close, but on a road course you should devour him.

I embarrassed myself last year when I went up against a stock C5 Z06 and he pulled on me. That was with handful of bolt-ons too. I didn't know what gear to start in or where to shift, let alone HOW to shift, so that all factors in too.

REMATCH WEDNESDAY. If I lose with heads/cam and headers and all the other crap we threw in, I'm hangin' it up. 1993 RT/10 4 SALE CHEAP!!!

Even in a straight line, it's a pretty close contest even though the GT-500 has an extra 100HP. It weighs 4000 pounds... When you get into a handling contest, there's no comparison. The Viper has a much better suspension, lower center of gravity, and lighter weight. The GT-500 handles OK, but it's got a very dated solid rear axle and rather ordinary front suspension - on a road course against a Viper, it will have a tough time keeping up.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uhhh... brakes? ABS on Mustang vs. two-wheel brakes on Viper? I hope the road course has lots of straights.

(admittedly, a very self-serving comment)

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uhhh... brakes? ABS on Mustang vs. two-wheel brakes on Viper? I hope the road course has lots of straights.

(admittedly, a very self-serving comment)
As it should be :D:D

hey Tom, can you make the website in your signature a click able link?

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this thread needs to be deleted
the VCA does not condone street racing
you should be tarred and feathered for even thinking of posting that on here

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this thread needs to be deleted
the VCA does not condone street racing
you should be tarred and feathered for even thinking of posting that on here

I'm sure its on borrowed time already, and some one will delete it, this evening.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Who said anything about streetracing? I do believe this thread originated on a Mexican racetrack, no? "Traffic" is Spanish for "Corvette". YOU GUYS ARE SOOOO SENSITIVE!

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A stock GT 500( driver dependent) is a mid to low 12 second car while a Gen 1 Viper on its best day stock is a very high 12 second car -it should get you by more than a nose.I see you are from Middlesex County.If thats the Middlesex County in NJ you had better watch yourself If the cops catch you by the time they are done with ALL of the tickets (racing on the highway,reckless driving ,speeding in excess of 40 mph over the limit )you can easily have a 15 plus point day with fines in the thousands .

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This past weekend a gt-500 came up behind wanting to give it a go, I really had no idea it was a gt-500 ..anyway this car has some balls!! I own a 95 rt/10 stock besides thermostat and green air filters..We where rollin at about 45mph, i was in 4th gear and down shifted to 2nd as i usually do when playing around ,the gt was nose to nose as i stepped on it going into 3rd i had him by a nose as he was coming up we where doing about 78 at this time traffic was ahead and he just started pulling away i was just going into 4th and he had me by a bumper, as i slowd down and down shiffted due to traffic. This is the first time i really raced a gt-500 at the time i thought it was a reg mustang but knew this thing had work!Now i am curious as to what perf mods can be done ,,,moderate that is to bring my hp up.?:omg:

Say three Hail Mary's, make a few minor mods and upgrade your brakes. I assume that you were going 78 in a 70 zone. I think it was very mature and wise of you to back off and drive safely.

OP
OP
J

jbrasco70

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im really not a fan of street racing i do admit it was immature but then again i did back off.A 40 y/o racing some kid on the street wouldnt look good.But im sure we will meet again hopefully cruising at 90 or so...lol

vipzilla

Viper Owner
Reaction score
sorry guys i have to get in on this a gt500 (again im the service manager for hyannis ford ) we work on all gt etc. ) has 373 gears from the factory on the hyway at 70-80mph against gen 1 viper with 307 gears it doesnt have a chance plus (jbbrasco70) doesnt even own a viper this whole thread is a dream dont let me run into a mustang on the mexico hywy

OP
OP
J

jbrasco70

Viper Owner
Reaction score
sorry guys i have to get in on this a gt500 (again im the service manager for hyannis ford ) we work on all gt etc. ) has 373 gears from the factory on the hyway at 70-80mph against gen 1 viper with 307 gears it doesnt have a chance plus (jbbrasco70) doesnt even own a viper this whole thread is a dream dont let me run into a mustang on the mexico hywy

thats exactly what i was thinking catch him at about 80 - 90 mph :drive: and yea i wish this was all reality..:usa:

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yeah seriosly it is a mustang. For God's sake you have a now classic piece of american history and some HGH sled takes you by a nose? not to worry...

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Current location of the Mexican International Freeway is somewhere's in Oklahoma City. Continued expected growth rate is unknown at this time. Just keep an eye out for the burrito wagons and ice cream peddlers. They tend to block traffic - safety hazzard ;)

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
should be a good street race between the two and especialy since the GT50 most likely has some bolt ons. id rather see you take it from say 65mph and go from there...id bet a different outcome.

a LOT of these mustangs will **** a near stock viper regardless of year. TONS of them are modded pretty heavily and the guys/kids know how to drive since they do it often. dont ever take any car for granted.....

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
should be a good street race between the two and especialy since the GT50 most likely has some bolt ons. id rather see you take it from say 65mph and go from there...id bet a different outcome.

a LOT of these mustangs will **** a near stock viper regardless of year. TONS of them are modded pretty heavily and the guys/kids know how to drive since they do it often. dont ever take any car for granted.....

I agree with that. The few times I've gone out it's all been fox body Mustangs, Trans Ams, 'Vettes and Camaros, along with some imports. Nothing that'd impress you at first glance, but these guys dump all of their money into these cars and race whenever they can. I go out there with my near-stock Viper and no racing experience and get beat up on. It was enough motivation to do a few more mods and learn a few things about properly shifting/launching. As Plum said..."take no car for granted."

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just like racing at a track, it take a lot of experience to be good. these kids HAVE that experience from doing at EVERY stop light or chance they get. THATS why they hand a lot of viper guys their a$$es. its not from a "better" or faster car necessarily.

for the price of a full header, cat back exhaust on our cars, the stang guys can really up the boost and power.

just another reason to "practice" in mexico as often as possible...... :)

PS: jbrasco70 , are you in NJ by any chance ? i see middlesex cty

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just like racing at a track, it take a lot of experience to be good. these kids HAVE that experience from doing at EVERY stop light or chance they get. THATS why they hand a lot of viper guys their a$$es. its not from a "better" or faster car necessarily.

for the price of a full header, cat back exhaust on our cars, the stang guys can really up the boost and power.

Exactly, go to Englishtown NJ on any test and tune WEND and you will see a ton of 10 second Mustangs (and even some 9 second cars )driven in from the street by a host of teenagers .

OP
OP
J

jbrasco70

Viper Owner
Reaction score

yes, I am im in south bruns, a f/f in the city of new bruns.