My 2001 GTS got keyed

Hiper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Unfortunately, my 2001 Sapphire Blue GTS got keyed a few days ago! Some $%^&*@ was obviously jealous of my car, so he/she placed an 8-inch long key scratch on the rear panel, just above the rear wheel
frown.gif

The scratch is quite deep
frown.gif
Should I only get the rear panel painted?
confused.gif
Keep in mind that the Sapphire Blue is hard to maintain, and although my car is about 5-months old, it has lotttsssss of swirl marks
dead.gif
So given that I have to paint the rear panel now, should I get the whole car painted??? is it worth it??? I don't want to have different shades of Blue on my car if I only paint the rear panel!

I need your feedback guys....I'm desperate! I can't bare looking at the scratch!!!
crying.gif

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Hiper is more worried about having a clean surface amid older panels that have swirl marks. I guess if money is not a concern, then go for it, if you are really worried that it will look funny. Otherwise, I would just paint the panel. (I am cheap)
smile.gif

p.s. If insuranceis going to cover it, see if you can talk them into painting the whole thing.

artman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Bill. Just paint the panel and find the best detailer in your area to remove swirl from rest of car. An experienced detailer can make any car's paint near new again. Look to pay around $250 for quality. Good luck.

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry @ your car. Where were you when it happened? How were you parked (upfront, double parked, regularly parked)?

I'd only paint the one panel, not the whole car! Definitely not. I'd also try Zaino to get the swirl marks out. I think you want the Z5, which is specifically for swirls, then follow up w/ the Z2 to make it shine. You may need a couple coats of the Z5, depending on how bad the swirl marks are. You've GOT to be absolutely POSITIVE that you get it ALL off though. I thought I'd done a great job until I came outside from a restaurant & found ALL of the wax that I'd put on the car ALL over the entire car! It'd gotten cold & I didn't wipe the wax off thoroughly enough.

I had swirls too & I had to change the cloths I was using to wipe down my car & the sponge I was using to wash it.

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is why I'm still searching for a video surveillance box. Something with four cams and activates itself based on motion.

Steve

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would also just get the fender painted and work on reducing the swirl marks with some Zaino treatments.

Jim

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RECOIL:
This is why I'm still searching for a video surveillance box. Something with four cams and activates itself based on motion.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And I assume you'll pass along that info when you get it?

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RECOIL:

Steve
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And Flame Throwers under the side sills???
You must be registered for see images

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been looking at the possibiliy of the x10 cameras; wireless, to a recording mech in the trunk.

I haven't tried this yet. I wouldn't want something to drain the battery though.

Anyone else? None of my Vipers were ever messed with, but I did have my Saleen keyed once.

Steve

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Actually, it would not be too difficult to set up surverillance system. all you need is a rotating camera, which can be had VERY small thses days, and a digital recorder in your trunk. the recorder would be good for 5-10 hours or so... now who here would ever leave their Snake unattended for 5-10 hours in public anyway? you dont really need it while it's at home... A local place called Spy Outlet could set something up i'm sure... I will definatly be investing in something-I dont care if it "just" gets fixed, I sure as hell want to know who did it so I can beat them senseless with my 3/4 inch torque wrench.

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is exactly what I was thinking about. I wanted four cams though. A "fly-by" keying may be quick and I want to make sure I don't capture just the back of their head.

I wouldn't beat them with a torque wrench, but I would have the law deal with them. I guarantee the repair will cost more than $200, which I believe is the threshold for felony charges.

Steve

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine