My annual "Viper Vermin Alert"

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My annual \"Viper Vermin Alert\"

A chilly hello from Iowa;

Yep, it's time for the Mice, Rats, etc to start seeking out the comforts of our garages and the CRITTERS LOVE WARM VIPER ENGINES TO NEST ON! From my experience, the top of the engine is "the place" for them to make a nest. Then again, they like the dash, your carpet, and seat foam almost as well.

They chew stuff like carpet, towels, and seat foam and carry it somewhere in the Viper to build their nest... then poop, ***, and find things to eat (electrical wires.. yummm).

So, if you live in a cold area; close your garbage tightly, remove any food source like Dog Food, and pick up any towels and newspapers that they might use to nest. If you can, put your Viper up on a lift or seal it in a "Car Capsule" inflatable bubble thing. Put mouse traps around an IN the viper.

Oh yea, they ate a big hole in my car cover too. Varmint Kong! This calls for drastic anti-vermin defense. Prepare thyself!

Jim :eek: :smirk: :usa:

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: My annual

It was 80+ degrees here yesterday....no winter varmits yet. I keep my dogfood in the trunk. Does anyone know if the ultrasonic things really work?

Franz

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes, the ultrasonic devices work. Supposedly they can't be used around pets though. I have had the pleasure of needing to store my car in my barn from November to April every year since 1995. I have not had a problem with mice getting into the car and destoying anything. However, I use everything at my disposal:

1) Ultrasonic device.
2) Traps and poison at the doors of the building.
3) Liberal use of Mothballs around the wheels. The mice hate the smell.
4) I also wrap mothballs in a paper towel and place them directly in the vehicle (on floor and in trunk).
5) Place a few mothballs in the engine compartment for good measure.

Never had a problem with mice around or in the car even though they seem to be everywhere else.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

3) Liberal use of Mothballs around the wheels. The mice hate the smell.
4) I also wrap mothballs in a paper towel and place them directly in the vehicle (on floor and in trunk).
5) Place a few mothballs in the engine compartment for good measure.

Gawd, Enough with the vermin but moths big enough to use their balls! :eek: Wow! Never smelled a moth's balls but I can imagine. Ugh! :eek:

LOL

Franz

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gawd, Enough with the vermin but moths big enough to use their balls! :eek: Wow! Never smelled a moth's balls but I can imagine. Ugh! :eek:

The hardest part of the whole procedure is getting their little legs apart. :)

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Be real careful of birdseed too, I had a herd of the little beasties last winter from leaving a bag of birdseed unnattended on a workbench. I killed 9 mice in 6 days, get the smaller traps, use the stick cheddar cheese and mush a little ball of it down over the release mechanism so the really have work to get at it, they can't ****** and grab. Put the traps right up against the walls as they hug the edge of the fllor when they travel around, I also put them around the tires on the floor. I also like the idea of putting them around the entrances into the garage. But once I perfedcted the above technique I bagged at least one a day. I kept putting the traps back out until nothing happened. I also just decided to leace them there even though I wasn't getting any action. 2 months later I got a straggler who apparantly liked VERY aged cheese. By the way don't assume these guys are just on the floor. I watched one of these suckers go right up the drywall, go across a ladder suspended from the ceiling and disapear into a crack into the garage attic.

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No, not kidding. It helps with wheelspin at the dragstrip. Two 50 pound bags of gravy train.

Gravy Train is for Mustangs. Any sensible Viper owner would only use Eukanuba or Science Diet.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My Viper is in a heated garage,so no problem.I completely service my tractor and snow blower at the end of the season and they always start on the first key turn.Except once.Cranked the tractor 4-5 times then reached for an old ether can.Turn key and DUCK!Stuff flying all over the place.Seems some little vermin baxtards were stealing bird seed and packing it into the exhaust for safe storage. Bruce

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with the heated garage comment. I installed a threshold that is supposed to keep the critters out and it has done well (knocking on wood). Previously I have had the vermin chew threw the door seal and frolic about. I have full tile floor and no signs of any trespassers anymore.

The threshold provides a great transition from the tile to the outside and provides a lip so the bottom of the door (metal portion) is very close to the threshold. No space for the little monsters to gain access. I was skeptical but it has worked well. I live with a large woods surrounding the house with just about every kind of animal present. Wish I had similar secrets for keeping the squirrels, chipmunks, racoons, etc off the deck and roof. A shotgun comes to mind but the roof would probably start to leak.

Oh. I purchased the threshold from Home Depot.

LittleFish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

:D I reached for a new paint roller cover in my garage door and it weighed a ton. Looked at it and mice had packed the inside to the roller with corn. Plastic still on the cover and everything except for one small hole on the other side. No other sign anywhere. I'm off to get some poison to lay out......