My car, APR and jackstands

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In summary, my car has been on the jackstands since last Thursday and hopefully will not have to stay there for much longer. The skinny: got APR made CF splash, side skirts and front lip. As advertised, both skirts and lip were supposed to have the same weave as the splash guards. What came however is not so. Somehow the front lip has a completely different weave than the other parts.

Tried to test fit the lip on the car, somehow it did not fit worth crap on the car. The instructions require removal of the front bumper to put it on which is pretty crazy in my opinion and the piece should fit on the car or at least be close as possible to fitting while the bumper is on the car, regardless of how it is mounted. Called APR, complained about poor fitment and weave issue. APR insisted on removing the bumper cover to install the lip. Fine, I took the bumper cover off and tried to test fit the lip off the car-still did not fit worth crap, not to mention the different weave which actually makes it look it is of different color than the other pieces.

I wrapped the lip the way it came and put it back in the box. Tackled the skirts, they actually did fit after figuring out to install them from the rear first and then moving on to the front. However, they did not fit perfectly and the double sided tape APR used is real junk, pretty thick foam tape that expands instead of forcing the skirt to comform to the sill (feels more like weatherstripping variety than mounting tape). Had to take the skirts off and spend a while removing that tape, then installing my own, rubber backed heavy duty stuff that is way more heat resistant than APR junk, has stronger adhesive and very strong backing that does not give.

Oh, APR person on the phone made it sound like it is not a big deal with mismatched pieces-well, it is a big deal actually, for the money this stuff costs my car should not look like it has been pieced together.

Not sure what will happen now, the vendor is involved dealing with APR, trying to have them exchange this front lip for another one, with the same weave as the other pieces and hopefully fitting better but it seems my car will be on jackstands for a while, especially if they do not have a matching piece in stock and have to manufacture one, assuming they are willing to do so. If not, I think I may just send that thing back their way and file dispute with my CC. I guess I should have contacted APR and ask about weave pattern first? Honestly, I expected better.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of our local members here has the APR splitter, canards, etc. I believe the install was done by Chuck Tator. Trying giving Chuck a call to see if he had the same issues or not and what it took to actually install the splitter.

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of our local members here has the APR splitter, canards, etc. I believe the install was done by Chuck Tator. Trying giving Chuck a call to see if he had the same issues or not and what it took to actually install the splitter.
I do not have the splitter, I have the smaller piece called air dam... I still need to resolve mismatched parts issue.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not have the splitter, I have the smaller piece called air dam... I still need to resolve mismatched parts issue.

Ah! Well then I would've gone with the splitter as I know it was not an issue. :D

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah! W,ell then I would've gone with the splitter as I know it was not an issue. :D
Technically speaking, they are both splitters since they both are designed to split air into high and low pressure areas. Not sure why APR called this one an air dam, air dam is NASSCAR style, vertical, blocking the air from passing under the car and creating low pressure behind it but let us play by APR naming convention, LOL. The one that is called air dam lacks the rigidity of the full splitter with the undertray that mounts to the frame of the car. After dropping the bumper cover off, I actually see it would not be all that difficult to modify the air dam to retain the rigidity, a simple bracing to the bumper reinforcement would take care of the center flexing, the side flexing could be eliminated as well. I want to fix up my car for the street, doubtful I will be making high top speed runs but who knows...

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So here is a quick update. After talking to APR guy, it seems the checker board weave is discontinued, the air dam uses the new weave. My side skirts were done using the old weave to accommodate the weave on my splash guards which I think was a very nice gesture. However, too bad APR did not bother to let me know about it and did not do the air dam with the same weave.

However, they will make a new air dam for me using the old weave and will laminate a couple of pieces I want to build to reinforce the ends of the air dam and stop them from flexing. The only problem is this will take between 6-10 weeks to build new air dam and then another 6 weeks between me building the extra pieces and APR laminating them for me. This means my car will be on those jack stands past Thanksgiving and hopefully back on the road before Christmas...:omg:

I guess I'll make do with my Vette in the meantime.

I really do not feel like tightening the bumper all the way because the car looks funny right now, with side skirts and splash guards but with nothing up front.

Here is the weave on the side skirts, the blue liner covers the APR foam tape that caused me to remove the skirts off the car after first install and replace the tape with my own, too bad I did not catch on before even installing the skirts the first time.

You must be registered for see images

and splash guards.

You must be registered for see images attach

and here is the weave on the air dam, I would say the difference is very noticable.

This is what you need to do to apparently install the air dam, there are marked locations on the inside of the bumper to drill but I guess I will not drill until the proper air dam arrives

Here is the car with splash guards and side skirts on, I really like the looks, I wish I had the air dam to balance the front, I will not take this thing out looking this way though. The bumper is only finger tight.

I really like the way side skirts blend in with the rear and front splash guards.

I would say this whole thing is definitely not for a novice without practice doing this stuff or without patience to peel off APR tape on the skirts to install better stuff.

The pieces I want to build are along the lines of the pieces on the front bumper of my vette (I built them all around the car, 8 of them but for Viper, I just need two front pieces)

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm glad they make chocolate, vanilla and strawberry.

Good luck with your issues. It sounds like the vendor is going to take care of you, although it would've been nice to know beforehand.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Good luck with your issue. I have found the APR guys to be honest and reliable. I've always worked with Peter and he has always worked hard to resolve any issue I have had. Sorry to hear about your problem I am sure they will come through.

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm glad they make chocolate, vanilla and strawberry.

Good luck with your issues. It sounds like the vendor is going to take care of you, although it would've been nice to know beforehand.
Actually, both vendor and manufacturer will take care of it, I hope. The checkerboard CF looks extremely well on graphite Viper. Obviously not everyone's cup of tea but after all dust settles, I know it will make me very happy. I build fiberglass stuff, including ground effects and usually try to make them fit the car, not the other way around but whatever it takes in this case, I suppose. The waiting part ***** big time but it is what it is I guess...

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck with your issue. I have found the APR guys to be honest and reliable. I've always worked with Peter and he has always worked hard to resolve any issue I have had. Sorry to hear about your problem I am sure they will come through.
My namesake does seem like a very cool guy. I do not think they will complain when the car is finished. I hope they do not have to deal with too many customers like me, LOL...

EXHLR8N

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Peter, I know we spoke already, but Peter Chung at APR Performance has always treated me fairly, I have found their work to be excellent, as well as customer service. In your case, I believe you purchased the product through a 3rd party ..... not through the vender directly (where you could have asked all the questions before ordering). I have spoken to Peter Chung directly, and I understand that he has been working with you to solve your issues. I think the Viper Club would welcome vendors who stand behind their product and will try to even make the most discerning customers happy.

Their product is used extensively in many drift cars, Corvettes, Mustangs, etc. They even make the year-end Drift trophies. So I want to make sure all other Club members know this is a quality vendor.

From my own personal experience, I have the front splitter, canards, rear wing, side splitters and rear diffuser (all from APR). I have tracked my car extensively and done several Silver States, where I am running at speeds close to 165mph for 20 minutes at a time (in order average 150mph). I totally stand by their products both from a visual and functional standpoint.

Peter, I hope you get your issues solved to your liking, and that you will be able to follow up this post with some positive news once settled. Too often in the world there is bad news, but then there are no headlines when something good happens.

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peter, I know we spoke already, but Peter Chung at APR Performance has always treated me fairly, I have found their work to be excellent, as well as customer service. In your case, I believe you purchased the product through a 3rd party ..... not through the vender directly (where you could have asked all the questions before ordering). I have spoken to Peter Chung directly, and I understand that he has been working with you to solve your issues. I think the Viper Club would welcome vendors who stand behind their product and will try to even make the most discerning customers happy.

Their product is used extensively in many drift cars, Corvettes, Mustangs, etc. They even make the year-end Drift trophies. So I want to make sure all other Club members know this is a quality vendor.

From my own personal experience, I have the front splitter, canards, rear wing, side splitters and rear diffuser (all from APR). I have tracked my car extensively and done several Silver States, where I am running at speeds close to 165mph for 20 minutes at a time (in order average 150mph). I totally stand by their products both from a visual and functional standpoint.

Peter, I hope you get your issues solved to your liking, and that you will be able to follow up this post with some positive news once settled. Too often in the world there is bad news, but then there are no headlines when something good happens.
I did not purchase anything from a third party, authorized dealer only. I agree Peter is a very nice guy. I am also pretty sure that once information available to consumers is updated quickly, none of this will happen again. I am fully inclined to buy the rear diffuser as well, assuming it is in the matching weave and Peter is aware of it.

Matt162

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So many guys dig these side skirts and Fender gaurds, I dont get it. I wish everyone viewed the viper as if it were a Lamborghini or Ferrari....In other words, no adhesive tape for body panels. Will those skirts actually remain on at 150+mph?

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So many guys dig these side skirts and Fender gaurds, I dont get it. I wish everyone viewed the viper as if it were a Lamborghini or Ferrari....In other words, no adhesive tape for body panels. Will those skirts actually remain on at 150+mph?
The skirts are not held in place with adhesive tape, they are bolted down using factory side sill screws and they are supported with screws in the front and rear, the tape is there to make them fit tightly and conform better since there are variation between vipers in body panel fitment. If the tape fails, the skirts will not fall off. There are side skirts available for Lambos and other exotic cars as well, just a matter of what yanks your chain. BTW, never underestimate holding power of adhesive tape, you just have to know how to install it and what tape to use. To answer your question: yes, you will have no issues at 150, unless you think extra high speed stability is a problem.

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The replacement splitter is on its way, cannot wait to mount it and fabricate a few additional pieces myself. Designing and building your own stuff to make your car more unique is a lot of fun.

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The replacement is here. Will be installing on Thursday. Much better now.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any pictures or updates on this? I have been looking at APR parst and interested to see how they look installed.

Thanks,

-Tim

OP
OP
P

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any pictures or updates on this? I have been looking at APR parst and interested to see how they look installed.

Thanks,

-Tim
I am building some own stuff to go with the APR side skirts and front spoiler. I decided not tu use the partsrack splash guards and build my own stuff instead among other things. The car is pretty much covered in masking tape right now so you would not get a good view of APR stuff. I may have to redo the canards I built and still have rear spoiler to build and rear bumper extensions so this may take another couple of months.