My Eight Consecutive GTS Driving Days...99 vs 00 ACR...Impressions

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last Wednesday I broke my silver 99 out and started driving it after weeks of $hitty weather. It rained 23 of 28 days in February here in my 'hood.

So the 99 got wet the first day or two. No big deal. I cleaned the hell out of it after the rain.

The 99 (42K miles) drives better than the 00 ACR (13K miles). Following five days of 99 driving, I spent three days driving my buddy's ACR. He rarely drives it, knows it needs to be driven, and I had the rose pinned on me a couple of years ago to maintain the thing. Life *****... ;)

This is based on just driving around...cruising. Maybe the ACR would be better for track events, as its supposed to be designed for racing. But on the street, after driving a non-ACR, you REALLY notice every small bump or undulation in a road surface in that ACR. I'm talking major testicular rattle here. I don't mind stiff suspensions at all, but for street "knocking around," I vote for the non-ACR hands-down versus the ACR.

The 99 feels faster, although not outrageously so. No seat of the pants difference I could feel at WOT, but at any throttle position less than WOT, I felt better throttle response and quicker acceleration. Creampuff versus non-creampuff? Anyone else notice this? Just wondering. Are there any significant cam differences that could account for this?

BTW, when people ask what "ACR" means I've been telling them "Air Conditioning Radio" at extra cost, although this car does have the comfort group. Hey, my bud may almost never drive his car, but he likes A/C and tunes when he does...

In any event, I enjoyed the hell out of eight consecutive days of Viper driving! Quite a treat considering the recent Seattle-like conditions here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog