My Gen 1 needs a new fuel pump… what are my options?

tarfungo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 95 RT/10 needs a new fuel pump. Cranks at startup and getting worse. Dealer confirms and says its $1050 parts and labor. Anyone know what the actual parts go for and how much of this is labor as I suspect that my dealer is not offering any parts discounts?

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might consider calling some of the people here for used parts and getting a Service Manual.

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg,
Send me your address and I'll send you one free. It may help a lot, but maybe not. The valve has been made "safe" (no excessive high pressures) but also not consistently a help (apparently doesn't cure starting problem all the time.)

If you want to call and talk about what it is and does, PM me a phone number.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you do need a fuel pump, I have one. Selling for a lot cheaper than the dealer, but that's only a small part of the cost. The labor to get to the fuel tank and remove it is intensive on a RT. Call Chuck Tator for any hints or clues.

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score
I recently had to replace the sending unit for the fuel gauge in my 95. It is part of the fuel pump so I had to remove the tank to get at it. This is not a difficult job but it is time consuming. If you have some mechanical ability and a few tools you can do it yourself and save quite a bit of labor cost. DON'T EVEN ATTEMPT IT WITHOUT A SERVICE MANUAL. List price on the pump is $616.00 but it available here for $226.00. http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=CTR&mfrpartnumber=P74659M&parttype=52&ptset=A. I had 55000 mi. on my car when I pulled the tank and I expected there would be some sludge buildup in the bottom of the tank but it was clean as it could be to my surprise. Good luck with your project.