my hard top is starting to creak??

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have started to adjust the rear clips but would like to know if the hard tops creak when they are too tight or too loose???
Its a mopar top.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get a wide selection of noises from mine, creaks, knocks, rattles, figured that was just the way it is...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by slaughterj:
I get a wide selection of noises from mine, creaks, knocks, rattles, figured that was just the way it is...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here.

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The question should be: Is there a hardtop which doesn't creak?

I've always figured it goes with the territory.

Ambient temperature clearly plays a role.

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My problem is a creaking that comes from the door. Seems to be around the top where the black plastic vertical portion is. I always thought it was bad craftmanship but if anyone has a fix please let me know.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took mine in for rattling right behind the driver seat.
After the tech took the rear clip off the hardtop
ajusted them reinstalled them. no rattle or creaking.
none. the top is on tight. maybe alittle too tight.but
he did it so being a vipertech i guess it is okay.
but no sounds after about a 20 min adjustment.

i would have you take it in let the tech adjust it and go from there. the top feels much, much more secure now that it is tight.

good luck
JIM
smile.gif

JetMec

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine was clunking behing the driver seat. I used some thin chafe tape around the rear bolt (just one wrap)... no more clunking.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried putting some weather stripping around the rear latches bolts, but haven't notice any difference.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Per the mention on having a tech do an adjustment, I took a look at my rear latches, and noticed one was way out of wack, so I adjusted it myself, plan to try it out this weekend when it gets cold again, and will report back my results, perhaps not in a run-on sentence.

Hot Rod

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had a similar problem a few months ago - the rear clips are most likely too loose. I made the adjustment to reduce the amount of travel and increase the down force. I took a little trial and error but I haven't heard a creak ever since. I would suggest you not try to make the adjustment without a helper.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hot Rod:
Had a similar problem a few months ago - the rear clips are most likely too loose. I made the adjustment to reduce the amount of travel and increase the down force. I took a little trial and error but I haven't heard a creak ever since. I would suggest you not try to make the adjustment without a helper.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Without a helper? I used a small-tipped torq-driver, is that a helper? LOL What do you mean?

Hey JMcGuire, I hadn't ever looked at the latches before, but when you put the top upside down on your oriental carpet, you'll notice the rear latch mechanisms have two torq-driver requiring bolts that hold on one part of the latch. This part can slip out of place, like happened to mine, so I just unscrewed the two bolts and slid it back into alignment like my other side which appeared correct. You may have to do a little trial and error to get it right for your car, but it seemed pretty easy, and I'm far from mechanically inclined. Once I put it back on and try it out (this weekend), I'll report back whether my hardtop flew off, LOL.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JMcGuire,
The adjustment done by my Vipertech was to completely remove the entire clip assembles from the top.
don't recall how many screws (think 4 each)
then take them over to the work bench put them in a vice to straighten them (pretty bent up) adjust the depth of the clips then reinstall.
He added some glue to the weather striping that needed to be moved.

Now top is very tight to car and no rattles creaks or problems.

if under warranty let your Vipertech give it a shot.
if he can't fix it he can always get you a new top
laugh.gif

jim
smile.gif

OP
OP
K

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My top never creaked, then two weeks ago its crackling in my ear.
I tried to adjust it up and down but the crackle persists. I am ready to pull out my sledge hammer and pound the top or pound the next person that asks me whats that crackle noise?
My lock down clips are slightly bent so maybe thats it!