My LUCKY day!

Reaction score
Maybe he just thought of it being very nice that you went ahead and pulled over for him. By the way Happy Late Birthday John.
You must be registered for see images

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uhhh, why did you pull over? Did the cop put his lights on? I never would've pulled over if the cop didn't put his lights on.

As for why he let you go, could be any number of things, including that he didn't get a radar or laser measurement. Could be he appreciated your (and your wife's) honesty. Could be he's a Mopar fan. Who knows. I've gotten into a couple of close calls with the police in my Viper, and haven't gotten a ticket yet (knock on wood). Not even a warning! They've only said "Great car."

One day about 3 years ago, in my pre-Mopar days, I was tooling down Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) on a Sunday evening in my '87 Esprit and got a ticket by the Artesia intersection (unsafe passing on the right). That part of Hermosa Beach is very heavily patrolled by police intent on writing tickets, as I later discovered, so I always try to cool it on that stretch of PCH (and I often notice many motorcycle cops). Anyway, one morning around 6:00 maybe two years ago, the only other car on that stretch of road was a Boxster, and he was baiting me. I finally took the bait and nailed it at 30 mph or so. He nailed it, too, and by the time we passed the motorcycle cop, we were going at least 65. (Speed limit = 35). I know that was incredibly stupid, but testosterone is a funny thing, as many of you know. So, I figure I may be losing my license here and am fairly alarmed. Worse yet, the cop pulls me over but not the Porsche.

The cop asks why I'm in a rush, and I say I have a meeting. (Yah right, at 6 am.) He doesn't even ask about why I was racing the Porsche. Doesn't even mention the Porsche. Just says, "Well, take it easy, and have a nice day." That's it! Same Hermosa Beach locale where they love to write tickets. So, who knows?

P.S., I always always always drive the limit on that stretch of road now. I learned my lesson after that!

Reaction score
I would have pulled over as well. I think they feel better knowing you are not a "runner". The same happend to me in my Jaguar (not doing 100+ but) almost the excact same ending.

regards

LADD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JOHN,
HOW DID SHE RUN WITH THE BELANGER HEADERS AND EXHAUST?HOW WAS THE INSTALL DOING IT YOURSELF?YELLOW VIPER SWEET.
LADD

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've thought of using the Belanger headers also. How did they sound. What is the projected increase in HP? Cost?

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too have always stopped. I have been very lucky too!

The week before I was due to get my Viper I was so excited, and got a little carried away on my motorbike as I pulled onto the carriageway. I glanced back in my mirrors to see a car coming after me flashing its head lights, I thought he wanted to race, then glanced a second time and saw blue lights flashing on the unmarked car...opps. I stopped...mortified, banned days before the arrival of my dream come true. He was a little surprised to discover I was female, but told me he'd clocked me at 130 mph and still pulling away from him, then he asked me what I did for a living, and told me I should know better, and to carry on my way, not 1 mph over the limit! I was so shocked, I couldn't get back on my bike and ride off for a while. He sure was a very nice policeman!

I think being blonde, female, and a nurse is a very healthy thing for the driving license! That's not the only occasion I've been let off!

John, I've just got the B&B headers and 3" exhaust (no cats), I think their headers are similar to the Belengers? Will be fitting it as soon as I've had it ceramic coated. Can't wait...must be careful testing it though, huh!

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Ferrara:
It's Sunday and I had just finished installing my Belanger headers and three inch exhaust-no cats. It's early, 8- 8:30, took my wife out for breakfast and to make some new exhaust noise. Took the Viper to 5th at about 140MPH, it's a 50 MPH zone- but no ones around, big divider, no cross roads- sorta safe. We go under the 85 overpass and start up the slight rise when, SURPRISE, a county police car with radar is going the other way! OK OK, no pompus remarks about blah blah, ok? I immediately slowed and waved to him as we pulled over. My wife asks, what'll happen? I'm going to jail, hope he lets you go to the house- get bail money ready. Mr policeman pulls next to Viper, rolls down window and asks "what's the hurry,sir?" I have no response for that question, still thinking about the jail thing. Oh no, my wife is responding to this, we're just testing the new exhaust- YIPES. Mr policeman says " nice car, have a nice day" and drives off. Questions- was radar on?, radar working?, appreciative I pulled over?, late for another call?, or just didn't feel like writing me? Anyway I'm lucky- took it easy the rest of the day. The wife says the devil protects his own. Maybe, maybe not, anyway I'm still lucky. John

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi all, couldn't help but read all the posts about John's Exhaust. He got everything from my company which is BTRVIPER.com. Check out my website at that address for exhaust systems for all vipers from 92' to present. Gen 1 complete systems are on sale for $ 2995. Gen 2 complete systems are on sale for $ 3795. I guarantee performance gains or your money back! We also have Lifetime warranteed half shafts on sale for $ 699.95 amongst other products.

Thanks again for reading. Im sorry to advertise on this post but could not help but answer the posts.

Feel free to contact me at any time as i am the Belanger Dealer.

tom Welch
352-622-6219
352-216-1075
btrviper.com

9 seconds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In Texas they can take you straight to the judge for going over 100 mph. I say "can" because I got caught going 115 and just got a ticket. I immediately pulled over and gave the keys to my girlfriend thinking I was going downtown.
In college I tried the "I didn't know you were chasing me" routine and made the cop turn around and catch me while I kept going 100 mph. I still had cuff marks on my wrists when I went to my part time job that night.
I will always stop immediately now.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A group of us was on the way the the Fall Foliage Run a few weeks ago and a trooper picked us up on the interstate. We were all going the speed limit (me in my trusty Shelby Dakota in the lead). He followed us down the exit ramp, and through a loacl commumity of gas stations before turning on his lights. Of course we all had our walkie-talkies and knew he was with us the whole time. Well, we all pulled over.

He walked up to the person in back of the line, said he had "improperly used a merge lane". I took a picture of him out the back of the pickup truck, and he let us all go without writing a ticket
Personally, I think he just wanted to see the four Vipers, or be able to tell his friends he pulled over a group of Vipers today.

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jay, being one of the four Vipers that was pulled over, I completely agree with you. I guess we "made his day"

Reaction score
I once had a neighbor who was a Houston cop. Great guy and he had great stories. Houston was a wild town in the early '70's. The experience of knowing him taught me not to lie to cops. They hear it all day every day and they know when they're being lied to.

I'm not proud of some of the foolish racing I did on the streets before I got hooked on the track, but it landed me 1 warning ticket and 7 total warnings (6 verbal) + 2 real big tickets.

130 mph in a 55 warning
60+ mph in a 45 warning
60+ mph in a 35 warning
50 mph in a 35 warning
several I don't know how fast, (I couldn't look down) in 55 mph areas

170 mph in a 70 ticket for 90 in a 70, (cops were laughing at me for showing them the GPS I tripped while slowing still showed 135) I pulled over for this guy way before he got up to speed, and it wasn't funny watching him try to gather it up, sliding when he realized I had pulled over. He turned out to be a really nice guy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog