My lucky day

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This morning it was wet and foggy. I was driving to work and taking it pretty easy, when I lost control of the car coming down an offramp. I caught the first slide, but the didn't catch the return and the car spun 180 and backed over the inside curb and the rest of the car followed. The car came to rest on its belly on grass and the front about 5' off the curb. The rear wheels were sitting at the start of about a 50' incline. I wish I had taken a picture. I got out and immediately called my good buddie Tom Sessions and woke him out of bed (not everyone goes to work at 6:30 am. I called a tow truck and hitched a ride to work until they could get there. Tom called and said he would meet me at the car to get it ready for the truck, so I caught another ride to my car. Of course when I got there, a HP officer was there and he had called a different tow driver. Luckily Tom got there before me and kept the other driver from damaging my car. We sent him on his way as my driver showed up. To make a long story short. We pulled my car up on the trailer and off the curb and then let it down back on the road. Miraculously, it looks like the car took no damage other than a few more scratches underneath and this is with a lowered car no less! We'll check the alignment next week to be sure, but it still drives great!

Even after 130K+ miles of daily driving these cars can still hurt you in an instant.

I figure I was in for a some good karma after the cancer diagnosis this year. And of course thanks Tom!

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow....glad you and the car escaped relatively unscathed. Getting backwards in this car must be scary.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds lucky to me. And that's from a guy that survived a head-on with a Semi in my Viper.

Ted

Quadcammer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so how did you lose control all of a sudden if you were driving sedately?

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave is very lucky,When I pulled up the the wrecker the HP called was getting ready to put the cable on the car.He was at a 45deg angle to the car with the bed of the roll back on the ground not on the top of the curb.He would have done alot of damage to the car.Some of the tow truck drivers are scary.What dave failed to mention at the bottom of the 50 ft slope was a drainage basin filled with rocks.The viper would not have looked good sitting on top of them.
Dave told me he was going back to his doctor and see if he left a horseshoe inside of him.I think I wold have gone and bought a lottery ticket if I were him.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We should all post up more of these stories (at least the one's with good endings). It's a good shot of reality to see just how lucky many of us are.

Great news to see that you and your Viper are safe (less a bit of a scare)! Also nice to see that Tom's such a dedicated friend!

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wowwwww, yes, nice to read a GOOD story, and nice to see a fellow Viper member helping you out.
Sorry about your cancer diagnosis...hope that your treatments help squash that venom...my thoughts go out to you...if you've got that horseshoe inside ya?? KEEP it there~~~Keep us posted, okay? ~juli
130K and daily driving the Viper...you are SOOOO LUCKY!!!!

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the opening is facing the wrong way (downwards) he may want to have them put it in the proper upright position ;)

Well, he seems to be having a good run of luck now, wouldn't wanna jinx it (let's HOPE the cancer treatments are successful) by moving it around!!! :D ~juli

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, he seems to be having a good run of luck now, wouldn't wanna jinx it (let's HOPE the cancer treatments are successful) by moving it around!!! :D ~juli

That's why I said IF the opening is facing downwards ;) Apparently it is indeed facing upwards or all luck would be falling out of his horseshoe.

OP
OP
S

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the good wishes. I'm doing pretty well with the treatments, but still have a long way to go (29 more weeks). Most of the time I feel lucky its colon cancer and I have a pretty good prognosis. One thing is for sure, I don't take feeling good for granted!

I was really counting on putting the car on the track this year, but I'll probably just have to save up for next year.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the good wishes. I'm doing pretty well with the treatments, but still have a long way to go (29 more weeks). Most of the time I feel lucky its colon cancer and I have a pretty good prognosis. One thing is for sure, I don't take feeling good for granted!
I was really counting on putting the car on the track this year, but I'll probably just have to save up for next year.

Please know that we are pulling for you. Treatments take a VERY long time, but are so needed. Here's hoping that you get thru them and glad you have a good prognosis.
No, we can't take feeling good for granted at all! We've got you in our thoughts~~~juli

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4