My Supercharger /Heads Project Begins

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been planning on doing this since before I got the Viper and was at Atco for a Viper Day with my Vette about 3 years ago. Of course I debated the Paxton and Twins but without 15 to 20k to spend, for the money I think this can't be beat. Also I enjoy working on the car and the roe kits allows me to do that - hopefully without getting in over my head.
Roe S/C heads have been ordered as well as the s/c with an 8lb pulley. Water / **** will probably be added later as will a MSD boost a pump and wideband. Yesterday I started and took out the airbox, valve covers, intake, and disconnected the headers. Today I will remove the T&D rockers and the heads and replace the thermostat with a 180. The only difficult part was getting the plugs disconnected from in back of the coils, and a few of the lower header bolts. Everything is pretty straightfoward.
Here is a pic of the engine now
P1000558_50_.JPG

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Covered the intake ports. GOOD!! I dropped a screw down one of them ports before I had a chance to plug them. Fortunately, I was able to fish the screw out with a magnet through the spark plug hole. Pulling the heads was not in my project plans! Ditto on the progress pics!

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With a S/C and and some heads you really need to think about a Cam. It will complete an already impressive set-up.

Good Luck with your project

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know its easy for ME to spend YOUR money, buts its really not smart at that point with the heads off and all. you're most of the way there.

call greg good and see what he says. or your head guy.

who IS doing them ?

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are the Roe heads made for their s/c. I was under the impression that the cam in the 99 (708 cam)? was pretty decent. I have no experience in putting a cam in and the car is apart now so I can't take it to a shop. Isn't it very complicated to degree in the cam? Can you email me directions :dunno:. I know a couple of mechanics- maybe if it isn't that complicated they can stop over and help me out?

Thanks
Gary

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also consider getting a new belt tensioner from Tator's!. It will be a perfect time with the heads out of the way.

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While you have everything apart i really hope you upgrade the power steering pulley AND bracket to the CNC billet ones. Especially with a S/C you want to upgrade those parts, they cost about $250 for both.

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS pump and pulley are done as is pinning the crank. But my low profile rapid pump jack just took a dump on me. This is the secong one I had do this.
P1000559_50_50_.JPG

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this fairly accurate-
Camshaft Removal
1. remove rockers, pushrods
2. remove heads
3. remove alignment yoke and remove tappets
4. remove generator
5. remove air cont. compressor - drain oil
6. Remove crankshaft pulley & damper
7. remove crank oil seal
8. remove timing chain cover and chain
9. remove camshaft thrust plate
10. remove cam

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After a broken jack messed me up yesterday I got some needed help from my son. It was a lot easier with the hood off, but it is a messy and time consuming job. Especially scraping the gaskets off the block and thermostat housing. There must be a better way:confused:. Here is today's progress.

P1000574_50_.JPG

P1000577_50_.JPG

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW am I nuts or is my service manual wrong. I was putting the wires back on the coils and referred to my 99 manual. It was completely different than how I had my wires. Not merely reversed but totally different. I downloaded an image off the web site and it matches how my coils were wired.

viper_manual_wiring001.jpg

Viper_cylinder_wires.jpg

pedro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:dunno: No need to change the cam 708. All that time wasted removing radiator cross bar timing cover etc. NOT WORTH IT

Viper ACR Lover 02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:dunno: No need to change the cam 708. All that time wasted removing radiator cross bar timing cover etc. NOT WORTH IT

I am sure that's exactly what he wants to hear at this point in his work. Enjoyed the progress pictures, by the way.

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here I have the Roe heads that have been surfaced installed along with the T&D rockers. Should have the s/c later this week. Does anyone have instructions for the s/c so I can read up on the installation ahead of time?
P1000625_50_.JPG

Thanks
Gary

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the S/C today. Almost done but I will have to wait about a week some parts to get powdercoated.
P1000626_50_.jpg

P1000631_50_.jpg

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its funny how close in progress we both are :)
I'm about a day behind you

I just took off my intake manifold today and started changing my thermostat
I'm also doing the p/s pulley and bracket
the s/c should be in tomorrow and done this weekend
I'm not doing heads though

good luck with yours and keep the pics coming!

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you replacing the injector clips? The first couple were a b**ch. After I got the hang of it they weren't so difficult. let me know if you need some tips. Luckily they threw in some extra connectors;)

Gary
Its funny how close in progress we both are :)
I'm about a day behind you

I just took off my intake manifold today and started changing my thermostat
I'm also doing the p/s pulley and bracket
the s/c should be in tomorrow and done this weekend
I'm not doing heads though

good luck with yours and keep the pics coming!

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
someone mentioned replacing the clips but I wasn't sure why
do they break when you take them off?

mine all came off easy
one was even kinda loose

are there supposed to be thin wire clips around them?
mine don't have this, and I've seen a lot injector clips like these that have a small wire clip around the connector to help hold them on

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang