NayKid Racing Vipers set Qualifying record at Mid-O

Scotty B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wanted to pop in and tell y'all how we're progressing with the new SRT10 Viper Hot Rods in T1 which has been dominated by the Z06 since 2001

We were at Mid Ohio Sports Car Course for the Buckeye Sprints last weekend with most of the top players in T1 last weekend and had some pretty decent results that are at least encouraging...

We took a refresher course at the Mid-O school on Friday and used it to work on both the setup of the cars and the loose nuts behind the wheel and it paid off in Saturday's qualifying with a new track record! of a 1:36.06 :headbang:

It was a pretty weird session as the rain started to drop a few spots on our windows just as we rolled out on track. We knew we only had one lap before the thunder storms came and that was it. Conditions were ideal for a lap record as it had been hot all day and there was rubber laid down and it dropped 20* in ambient temp 20 minutes before we went out. We followed the Z06 out that has been fastest around the country and as soon as we came around for the one and only dry lap we both dropped the hammer, of course my hammer has an SCCA Mandated 40% restrictor on it and 300lb added to it but none the less :smirk:

So it turned out to be I was the one who didn't make a mistake and got the pole by 1 second over the other Viper (not our team) with the fast Corvette in 3rd and our teammate Cindi Lux in 4th then a bunch of Corvettes & a GT3 Porsche

Man oh man you shoulda heard the Corvette camp scream bloddy ****** over that one! :rolleyes: They all seemed to forget last year when NayKid Racing was in Corvettes and set a new track record at EVERY single track we went to and 2 years ago when we went to this event and set on the pole by 1.6 SECONDS with a new track record and won it by 16 SECONDS... It's kinda what this team usually does and boy oh boy are we proud of the guys who work their butts off on these Vipers, we had some smokin good hot rods under us for the weekend and had only 3 events before (60 days) this weekend when we finnaly got some springs & sway bars approved for this car...

For some odd reason we still don't have the speed of the other Viper down the straight, it seems able to just flat flatten everything on the straight and several of the Corvette drivers were really having fits about that... Although even though we had our hands full on the straights with the Corvettes we still managed to be faster than the other Viper So that was good for NayKid Racing, KUMHO Tire, Forgeline, Redline Oil & of course Corsa Performance Exhaust :headbang: :usa:

Unfortunately the race didn't go as well for us as our driver in the car on pole, uhhh what's his name managed to have shifter troubles and selected 1st instead of 3rd on the second gear rollig start allowing about 20 cars to stream by before I, uhhh eerrrrr mean "He" got it in the correct hole and got it going again... :p

Long story short is the othe Viper led for a while and and then pulled in and went back to the paddock so we never saw it again, not even in tech after the race.

Then the super fast Corvette pulled in too with suspension problems, he was having trouble all weekend so we likely didn't see his best yet at this track...

By the end of the race we managed to claw our way back up to second with the #3 car and 4th with the #78

So it was

1st Z06
2nd SRT10 Viper
3rd Z06
4th SRT10 Viper
5th GT3 Porsche

Obviously not the end result we are all looking for but very encouraging to say the least after floundering around 30% restricted on stone stock suspension against race prepped suspension Corvettes & GT3 Porsches for the first 3/4 of the season

We now have 4 events under our belt with a the T1 springs and sway bars and we are getting stronger all the time, we're still down on power compared to the other Viper (a bunch) and the Corvettes (a little) but the cars are working well with the Motons and KUMHO's!

We'll keep diggin gang and do our best to hold up the Viper Nation flag! :2tu:

sbw

Stan Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scotty,

Great job Sunday at Mid-Ohio! It was a wild first lap and to come home clean in second place is a great result. I will see you in a few weeks at the big show, and hope you can move up a spot on the final results sheet.

:2tu:

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HHHHMMMMM.... Scotty, could return some of those kind words I have heard from you, but maybe, some of the Viper nation will wear off onto you. Even X Corvette drivers can see the light, so with that.....CONGRATS!
Best of luck at the runoffs.

OP
OP
S

Scotty B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HHHHMMMMM.... Scotty, could return some of those kind words I have heard from you, but maybe, some of the Viper nation will wear off onto you.

Point taken and I think it's already started... ;)

Even X Corvette drivers can see the light, so with that.....CONGRATS!
Best of luck at the runoffs.

Well let's hope so! Here's to a truce, we're on the same side now! Thanx Mike we'll give 'em hell and do our best, didn't now if you heard or not but we are ALL IN now! We sold 4 Corvettes in 90 days as soon as we switched to Dodge and all I can say is how much I wish we would have switched years ago :2tu:

sbw :usa:

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to see Vipers back in the T-1 mix. As usual the Corvette teams are always crying about the Viper performance, yet at the runoffs Heinrocket always has a very fast car, and waxes the field. That 3600 lbs and 40 % restrictor sure must make the Viper a handful.
Lou G in WCGT did the same as his car was always very fast, just wasn't reliable. Looks like he finally pulled it together.
Keep up the goodwork and get them gear shifts down! Again good luck to your team!

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scott,

Are you running 315's all the way around on your Kumhos? Has Kumho come out with the Viper sized tires for the rear? I ask because last time I was going to buy some, their biggest size was the 315. Also, are you runnin 18 inch wheels all the way around?

Scotty, you have done a ton of racing -- what is your impression of the Kumho vs say a Hoosier R3S04 DOT tire? Pricing seems to be real close (within $50) and I haven't yet run the Kumho's.

Manny

OP
OP
S

Scotty B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scotty,

Great job Sunday at Mid-Ohio! It was a wild first lap and to come home clean in second place is a great result. I will see you in a few weeks at the big show, and hope you can move up a spot on the final results sheet.

:2tu:

Hey Stan,

didn't even see this post. Thanx for the Kudos and same to you! For those who didn't know Stan hustled the SRT4 to a P2 last weekend in the same race we were in :2tu:

I'm all for seeing if we can move up another notch next month, give 'er hell dude! :usa:

sbw

OP
OP
S

Scotty B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to see Vipers back in the T-1 mix. As usual the Corvette teams are always crying about the Viper performance, yet at the runoffs Heinrocket always has a very fast car, and waxes the field. That 3600 lbs and 40 % restrictor sure must make the Viper a handful.
Lou G in WCGT did the same as his car was always very fast, just wasn't reliable. Looks like he finally pulled it together.
Keep up the goodwork and get them gear shifts down! Again good luck to your team!

I know what you mean about the crying... We pissed and moaned a bit when they made us run stock springs and ride height on these cars for the first 6 months but now that we have a bit more agressive spring/bar package for a few races we are starting to get these hot rods up to speed and we'll do our best to see if we can't run heinrocket down... :headbang:

I just have to remember to be more patient with my shifts in this hot rod, ya just can't move that shifter as fast when the rotating assembly weighs as much as it does... :smirk:

Thanx Mike,

we'll keep diggin! :2tu:

OP
OP
S

Scotty B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scott,

Are you running 315's all the way around on your Kumhos? Has Kumho come out with the Viper sized tires for the rear? I ask because last time I was going to buy some, their biggest size was the 315. Also, are you runnin 18 inch wheels all the way around?

Scotty, you have done a ton of racing -- what is your impression of the Kumho vs say a Hoosier R3S04 DOT tire? Pricing seems to be real close (within $50) and I haven't yet run the Kumho's.

Manny

Hey Manny,

we have actually done back to back testing on Hoosier, KUMHO V710 & V700 and the KUMHO's provided better lateral grip than the Hoosiers

We run a 335/30x18" V700 in the rear and a 315/35x18" V710 in the front with excellent results and this was the combo we used to achieve the new track record at Mid-O

There is a new V710 coming in Viper sizes soon, maybe even before the end of the year :2tu:

The KUMHO tends to be more forgiving, liniear and more consistant than th eHoosiers in my experience

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Scotty. I may order a set to try out at the track then. Do you get your heat cycled or do you do that in a session then put the tires away for a day?

-Manny

Scott,

Manny

Hey Manny,

we have actually done back to back testing on Hoosier, KUMHO V710 & V700 and the KUMHO's provided better lateral grip than the Hoosiers

We run a 335/30x18" V700 in the rear and a 315/35x18" V710 in the front with excellent results and this was the combo we used to achieve the new track record at Mid-O

There is a new V710 coming in Viper sizes soon, maybe even before the end of the year :2tu:

The KUMHO tends to be more forgiving, liniear and more consistant than th eHoosiers in my experience

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scotty, one other thing. For the V700, are you using the Ecsta or the Victoracer? Both have the V700 model. I assume the ECSTA since that is the newer model?

Lastly, Tire Rack says Kumho recommends you shave the tire before road coursing, otherwise exessive wear can happen in localized areas. I see the Ecsta V700's in the 335/30/18 size, but they don't offer it shaved in this size (285/30/18 is the largest in shaved.) What are you doing?

Thanks,

Manny

OP
OP
S

Scotty B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scotty, one other thing. For the V700, are you using the Ecsta or the Victoracer? Both have the V700 model. I assume the ECSTA since that is the newer model?

Lastly, Tire Rack says Kumho recommends you shave the tire before road coursing, otherwise exessive wear can happen in localized areas. I see the Ecsta V700's in the 335/30/18 size, but they don't offer it shaved in this size (285/30/18 is the largest in shaved.) What are you doing?

Thanks,

Manny

We can use a 305/30x18 on the front & 335/30x18 out back and we shave both of them, and yes we use the Ecsta V700 and we shave them all. We just heat cycle them at the track, if you allow them to cool between the first session and the second completly cooling, that should be good for heat cycling

you can use the 315/35x18 on the front but it picks up a ton of grip in the front and could tend to oversteer if your suspension is all stock...

Is this a GenII or III?

Shoot me a private email and I'll try to hook you up!

[email protected]

OP
OP
S

Scotty B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kai,

I honestly don't know what they are. All I know is they come from Dodge Motorsports or MOPAR as a complete kit for a T1 car. It comes with shocks, bars (front is adjustable), camber adjusters (replaces eccentric cams), springs and a couple more peices of hardware like adjustable drop links etc.

Bob Woodhouse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scotty, we all feel fortunate to have you and Cindi wheeling these Vipers around. I get such a kick out of reading your prose too. You have no shortage of passion, verve, color, aggression and experience. I just heard that you nailed the pole. Congratulations!!

OP
OP
S

Scotty B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NayKid Racing SRT10 Viper on Provisional Pole!

Well gang,

for the first time in 5 (FIVE) YEARS the is a name besides John Heinricy/Corvette at the top of the qualifying sheets in T1 at the Runoffs!

The name is Scotty B White & Dodge! WOOHOOOOO!! :2tu: :usa: :headbang:

Cindi Lux piloted the #78 NayKid Racing Viper is sitting in 4th place on the grid. Cindi & I will do our best to do you all proud this Friday, we hope some of you can make it to cheer on the NayKid Racing SRT10 Dodge Viper T1 team!

NayKid Racing, builders of the Fastest T1 Vipers in the Country!

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: NayKid Racing SRT10 Viper on Provisional Pole!

Congrats Scotty B! Good luck in the race and bring the T1 trophy back to the West Coast!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21