Need Advice..'08 ACR vs non-ACR

OP
OP

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris: Get the Coupe. ps. Use CAUTION in 'lowering the seat' due to the seat track airbag sensor, and the underseat translator-gateway module. SEARCH THIS TOPIC.

SRT Engineers Note: "Now that I could get the seat lowered....." ....Sells Cars.

JonB, I was under the impression that the silver module can be unscrewed from the black bracket it sits on and can be placed under the bracket. The seat sensor, i thought, did not have to be moved. PLEASE, PLEASE tell me I am correct. I would hate to take delivery then experience a problem. Chris

V

Venomiss

Or you can just get an 09 ACR......next to the red & black.
For the seat issue and talk with a viper tech about it too. Woodhouse or Tators might be best.
http://forums.viperclub.org/grail-trail/616997-relocating-air-bag-sensor-module.html

wacr2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For most people's uses on the street, I believe the standard Viper will out-perform the ACR. With the suspension properly damped, its too stiff for optimal handling on many street corners. Also, its tires do not work very well when they don't have much heat into them. In colder weather or without the sun on the pavement, I believe the standard PS2s may be better. You'll also experience more problems with ground clearance. Needless to say, the standard Viper is the faster car from a roll-on race.

1 or 2 track days a year isn't much; I'm shooting for 3 to 5 every month in mine. I'd let someone buy the ACR who will really use it. If you just like the look, why not a coupe with the aero kit? Its functional and cheaper.

I would take issue with several of these comments. The ACR has an ADJUSTABLE supension so when it's "properly damped" it's fine for the street, very little difference from a standard Viper. Now if it's set for the track it will deliver amazing handling on the track OR the street, so what you mean by "with the suspension properly damped it's too stiff for optimal handling on street corners" is beyond me.
The big tire issue is not about heat so much as it is about wet traction and how readily the tire will "cut" on the street thereby risking a flat, I run PS2's on the street to eliminate that problem.
As for ground clearance it just is not a problem, mine is lowered 3/4 of an inch and the clearance is exactly the same as my GTS, it looks dangerous but in real life it's fine. I know a fellow ACR owner that runs with the center section installed all the time as a daily driver and has yet to have a problem after 6 months.

And finally the comment that "the standard Viper is the faster car from a roll-on race is total nonsense. If you will take a look at the the SRT engineers comments the ACR tested 2 tenths of a second faster in the quarter mile than a standard coupe. The aero components actually help traction once the car is rolling over 60-70mph. So presuming a roll- on race will produce even higher speeds than the quarter mile the logic would work that the higher the speed the greater the advantage the downforce will bring to put power on the road. If you are presuming the race goes farther than 177mph then the coupe will pass the ACR. How many roll on races get past 177?
And a final point regarding the choice between a regular coupe and an ACR, regular Coupes are depreciating like crazy, ACR's are not, so you might pay more but you will hold better value in the long run. Simple law of supply and demand, they are not making that many ACR's due to limited supply of some of the parts.

Last edited:

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would take issue with several of these comments. The ACR has an ADJUSTABLE supension so when it's "properly damped" it's fine for the street, very little difference from a standard Viper.
Have you pushed your ACR with the dampers set significantly below the track settings? It is obviously underdamped. On roads which aren't very flat, it can feel like a car with blown dampers (which it basically is). The "proper" setup for handling over rougher surfaces is a reduction in both spring rate and
damping, but adjustable dampers only allow you to adjust damping. I'm not complaining, but good handling over rougher surfaces is obviously compromised on any car with springs as stiff as the ACR's. Of course, whether or not this is problem depends on road quality in your area.

The big tire issue is not about heat so much as it is about wet traction and how readily the tire will "cut" on the street thereby risking a flat, I run PS2's on the street to eliminate that problem.
I disagree. Driving on PSCs in 70F weather during the day time (sun on the asphalt) and driving them at night in 50F weather is a massive difference in my car, more so than I've experienced with other R-compounds. During the day the car gets total traction in 1st even around gentle bends, while at night it wheel hops and spins just rolling into it.

Mine is also lowered 3/4", and lets just say I'm very glad they included those tough rub-strips and made the center-section out of the same tough plastic. I plan to have a few more sets of those things made, because of the price Chrysler is asking for them. I guess ground clearance problems depend mostly on road quality though.

The standard Viper will fly past the ACR (if it wasn't ahead already) as soon as the ACR goes into 5th gear. Acceleration drops off dramatically, from 0.107 gee to 0.040. I suppose a lot depends on our definition of "roll on", but I'd bet if both cars floored it at highway speeds, the ACR would always be behind.

Of course you could always remove the wing and splitter center-section, you'd just need to plug the slits in the trunk lid with something.

Last edited:

als 08 viper acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just left a local dealer and saw in person for the first time a red/black ACR. Dealer also had several non ACR coupes in stock. Now that I could get the seat lowered I need to make a decision. Go for the ACR or a coupe. Had several great color/stripe combos.
The car will mainly be a street cruiser with occasional track time(If I am lucky once or twice a year). Those tires on the ACR sure do not look street friendly. Also, even though the ACR has an in your face personality(not that the coupe doesn't) the aero add- ons scream more function that esthetics. Also not a big fan of black wheels. But IT IS AN ACR. All you guys (and gals) usually give great advice, so what do you think. Thanks Chris

I just took delivery of a Red/Black 2008 ACR & unless you want a convertible I would go for the ACR not the Coupe. I drive it to work 2 or 3 days a week. The ACR is fine on the street. I feel because of the low numbers compared to the Coupes the resale will be much better & besides if you decide to take a High performance Driving class & track your car one day you will be ready.

I had a 2003 Viper Convert. & I never intended on getting an 08 (even with 100 HP increase) until I saw & read the specs on the Red/Black ACR on the front cover of a Nov 2007 Autoweek.

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 2003 Viper Convert. & I never intended on getting an 08 (even with 100 HP increase) until I saw & read the specs on the Red/Black ACR on the front cover of a Nov 2007 Autoweek.

Al,
How does the ACR ride compared to your '03 Vert w/ runflats? BTW, are you going to C&C tomorrow? I'm going but may not take the ACR.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an '04 Vert and an '08 ACR.

I love the Vert on those rare perfect days - it's simply wonderful and can't be beat.

The ACR is awesome all the time. I have a Hummer (a REAL one) and I simply love the truck and can't ever imagine myself without it. I feel the same about the ACR. My Vert. is a great car and I really like it but it feels like a car that I'll replace one day. The ACR feels like a keeper.

Once you get the ACR on the tack my bet is that you get hooked on it and will be back at the track every available chance.

Last year I had a student with an '07 coupe who came to our track school. He called me the next day and begged for track time. He went to the track and told the owner that whatever the guy renting the track that day was paying he'd pay double. He even tried to buy the track. Sure, this guy 'only' had a coupe but be warned - the ACR on the track is very, very, addictive.

As for PSC's in the wet.... Check this thread from 2 weeks ago at Sears Point. http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/620063-acr-dive-planes-extreme-use.html

crayne hurst

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well ive had 5 all verts,my last was 03.Been playing with the ford gts,And when that nice day comes around well nothing like the air.So to kill 2 birds with 1 stone,i just got a new vert with aero opt i wont track it so to me its next best thing.All the cars have
over 1000 hp, so the viper wont stay stock very long.By the sounds of things the gen 4
is nice car.

BigJag

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would go for the ACR. If you don't you will sooner or later feel like you settled. I have a coupe with the aero package and love it. When I bought it in August there weren't many ACR's around and I was leary of the suspension and the tires on the street. Also didn't care for the look of the black wheels. Now the wheels have grown on me and if I had to do it over again would probably get an ACR.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leaving aside the track vs. street discussions, think about the price. There is currently a HUGE price difference in the ACR vs. coupe. Coupes are a dime a dozen and the prices are falling. ACR's are holding their value near MSRP. I'm talking new here. Unless you are looking for an SSG coupe, you could wind up spending $30k less than an ACR. Definitely at least $20k less! That's a lot of coin, and the reality behind the $14k or so ACR premium. What I'm saying is, for $14k more there's no question in my mind that the ACR is the way to go. But for near $30k, you gotta wonder. If you have the money, I guess it's not an issue. I don't live in that world!

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well ive had 5 all verts,my last was 03.Been playing with the ford gts,And when that nice day comes around well nothing like the air.So to kill 2 birds with 1 stone,i just got a new vert with aero opt i wont track it so to me its next best thing.All the cars have
over 1000 hp, so the viper wont stay stock very long.By the sounds of things the gen 4
is nice car.

How do you plan to mod the Gen4 as no one has cracked the ECU yet? Put in your own standalone?

als 08 viper acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Al,
How does the ACR ride compared to your '03 Vert w/ runflats? BTW, are you going to C&C tomorrow? I'm going but may not take the ACR.

I am planning on going to C & C tomorrow & taking my ACR. Hope you bring your ACR, but there is always next time. What time should I get there to get a parking place in the first 2 rows? Would 6:30 to 6:45AM be OK?

Al

als 08 viper acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Al,

Forgot! I really am happy with the ride on the ACR. It seems to be less punishing than my Shelby GT500 SS (which I don't mind). I don't remember the ride on my 03- it was certainly OK, but I sold it in January of 08 so I really don't remember.

Al

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am planning on going to C & C tomorrow & taking my ACR. Hope you bring your ACR, but there is always next time. What time should I get there to get a parking place in the first 2 rows? Would 6:30 to 6:45AM be OK?

Al

Al,
I'll look for you when I get there but I just can't get myself out of bed that early. To be in the second row, you'll probably have to get there by 6:30. I won't be able park next to you anyway as by the time I get there (around 7:30), I will be in the back row. I'll come in my Heritage Ford GT tomorrow.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if your interested in an ACR...i have a 1/2 ACR. Orange,black hood, ******** package....mso....white is being offered, this is my color....

cheryl mccally

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you pushed your ACR with the dampers set significantly below the track settings? It is obviously underdamped. On roads which aren't very flat, it can feel like a car with blown dampers (which it basically is). The "proper" setup for handling over rougher surfaces is a reduction in both spring rate and
damping, but adjustable dampers only allow you to adjust damping. I'm not complaining, but good handling over rougher surfaces is obviously compromised on any car with springs as stiff as the ACR's. Of course, whether or not this is problem depends on road quality in your area.

I disagree. Driving on PSCs in 70F weather during the day time (sun on the asphalt) and driving them at night in 50F weather is a massive difference in my car, more so than I've experienced with other R-compounds. During the day the car gets total traction in 1st even around gentle bends, while at night it wheel hops and spins just rolling into it.

Mine is also lowered 3/4", and lets just say I'm very glad they included those tough rub-strips and made the center-section out of the same tough plastic. I plan to have a few more sets of those things made, because of the price Chrysler is asking for them. I guess ground clearance problems depend mostly on road quality though.

The standard Viper will fly past the ACR (if it wasn't ahead already) as soon as the ACR goes into 5th gear. Acceleration drops off dramatically, from 0.107 gee to 0.040. I suppose a lot depends on our definition of "roll on", but I'd bet if both cars floored it at highway speeds, the ACR would always be behind.

Of course you could always remove the wing and splitter center-section, you'd just need to plug the slits in the trunk lid with something.
Grant, Lee is right on about the ACR being the better car period, IMHO. My '08 ACR is my third Viper and it is so much superior to the other cars, they shouldn't even be mentioned on the same day. I leave my ACR set up for the track all the time and I drive it on the street all day every day, no problems. Well, there is one problem, all the time I spend answering questions about that "fantastic car" and everyone taking his picture. Now you can't snooze if it's raining or if you are driving thru the Walmart parking lot that has 20 speed bumps in it. I will put my Forgeline wheels with the PS2's on after my last track event Dec 5 and 6th. Then I will change back and forth for winter track events if it's wet on the track. That's what the ACR is for, it's a comp coupe racer on the track that is very civilized to drive every day if you want to. I love the car too much to drive anything else! But it isn't for everyone, some Viper lovers will like the standard coupe or vert better, that's why they make all three.

OP
OP

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Grant, Lee is right on about the ACR being the better car period, IMHO. My '08 ACR is my third Viper and it is so much superior to the other cars, they shouldn't even be mentioned on the same day. I leave my ACR set up for the track all the time and I drive it on the street all day every day, no problems. Well, there is one problem, all the time I spend answering questions about that "fantastic car" and everyone taking his picture. Now you can't snooze if it's raining or if you are driving thru the Walmart parking lot that has 20 speed bumps in it. I will put my Forgeline wheels with the PS2's on after my last track event Dec 5 and 6th. Then I will change back and forth for winter track events if it's wet on the track. That's what the ACR is for, it's a comp coupe racer on the track that is very civilized to drive every day if you want to. I love the car too much to drive anything else! But it isn't for everyone, some Viper lovers will like the standard coupe or vert better, that's why they make all three.

I undertsand that tires and suspension combos can make a big difference on the same vehicle but not to be mentioned on the same day....c'mon Cheryl?? Throw in some engine and tranny differences then sure...but the skeleton is basically the same for both cars.

markbrown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just left a local dealer and saw in person for the first time a red/black ACR. Dealer also had several non ACR coupes in stock. Now that I could get the seat lowered I need to make a decision. Go for the ACR or a coupe. Had several great color/stripe combos.
The car will mainly be a street cruiser with occasional track time(If I am lucky once or twice a year). Those tires on the ACR sure do not look street friendly. Also, even though the ACR has an in your face personality(not that the coupe doesn't) the aero add- ons scream more function that esthetics. Also not a big fan of black wheels. But IT IS AN ACR. All you guys (and gals) usually give great advice, so what do you think. Thanks Chris

going thru the same decisions you are right now, i love the acr but mine will be a daily driver. i noticed those tires also and would have to buy another set and store those original wheels or sell them. i would probably take the wing off also if i could and it would cap off looking ok. so i may just go for the vert since thats allot of car for the money opposed to other brand cars which get big premiums for verts.

i am very disappointed at the hardtop supposed fast back cause it is basically the shape of the vert top with just the glass making up the slant of the fastback. i like the pre 02 fastbacks better. the other complaint i have is those exposed door hinges which make me lean towards dark colors for the viper to hide that ugliness.

mb

Last edited:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doc, hope everything went OK today.If i can do anything to help you facilitate a deal you have my number.PS If you decide to go out of state make sure EVERYTHING is in writing BEFORE you ship your car,thanks Joe.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................
I just noticed your response, I'm a little confused as to whether you own an ACR or not but as to the first question...Yes, I have pushed mine quite ******* the street settings, and I was forced to play with the adjustment and break the seals as mine was shipped in full hard position in the rear. Have YOU broken the seals and played with the adjustment at different settings? Have you adjusted BOTH damping and compression? And mine is lowered 3/4 as well. If you are complaining about the ride I'm wondering if your rears are set on full hard as well the way mine were. THAT was a rough ride with the front set on soft.
As to the rough ride. when I'm on the street I'm running PS'2s, and for all the reason you mention regarding the cups I think that's a wise idea, I never run the cups on the street so I will completely defer to your judgement on that.
But with the PS2's on the ride is just fine, indeed it is much BETTER than my 06 Convertible with run flats. There is a slight "kick" from the rear going over really big bridge transitions on interstates that I would call 20% worse than my 06 with run flats. That's the 1000 lb springs no doubt, my solution is to go faster so the wing compresses them more. One of the reasons they are 1000 lbs is to compensate for the downforce.
As to the ground clearance issue I don't know where you are driving but I just have not had a problem, it goes up the ramps to my lift and anyone who has a lift knows that is a pretty steep incline.
As to the 5th gear drag race I agree, however I would not agree "at any speed" I think with the amount of downforce the car generates that is an unkown fact right now. The SRT Engineers say it's faster in the quarter and we know it will trap around 125-130 so up to that speed it's ahead, it's an unkown varaible at what speed the regular coupe can catch and pass it.
But the regular coupe has to make up the 2 tenths coming out of the quarter so it's reasonable to think that transition probably does not occur till around 140 or so. It's all speculation anyway untill someone puts them side by side or we ask the engineers who probably did it just for grins.
As to removing the wing you would have one hell of an unstable car at the speeds we are talking, the front aero would be generating so much downforce without the wing compensating to bring the rear down that the back of the car would be unbelievably light, seems a really bad idea for a high speed attempt.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
BEFORE YOU BUY A NEW VIPER................. lemme tell you about a VCA INCENTIVE in place on 08-09. One of your VCA MEMBER BUDS would like you to take a REFERRAL NOTE with you, to your dealer. Or fax it. PLEASE!

Your VCA Bud can read about it VCA Member section.......

XTREMDRM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris;
I can speak from 10 days experience. The car is all you that you are invisioning. I pick up my Blue Acr [1 of only 4 built in 2008 in Blue]
Track it probably not much. Enjoy the ride, Yes. Thrilled behind the wheel, Yes. Electric look, Yes. The incredable experience, Love it, Hell yes. You will not go more than a hundred yards without send some poor sole to the chiropractor for an adjustment. But oh so well earned.
I am removing the tires and rims. Storing the rims and selling off the rubber, not street or weather friendly at all.
I would buy another in a second if givin another second chance that I have recieved since crashing my 01 GTS. Good Luck with your decision. Glenn

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lee,

Yes I've played with the damper settings, quite a bit actually. I agree the car is downright comfortable on the street settings (this surprised the hell out of me), but my point was that for optimal performance on the street, I'd prefer both less spring and less damping. Of course, this is going to depend on the road quality in your area.

As far as 1/4 mile times go, this is what I got out of mine. My current best pass is 11.45 @ 126.2, while in worse conditions the car can go as slowly as 11.9 @ 123. When looking at these results, keep in mind my car doesn't pull away from a stock '06 Z06 from a 60 roll. It inches ahead a bit to be slowly passed in 4th gear. I haven't done a pull against a normal Gen 4 Viper, though.

I think you'd be ok with the wing and splitter removed for drag racing purposes. The rear of the car would still produce net downforce, just not as much as the front. If the dive planes weren't riveted on, you could probably just remove those and be fine.

cheryl mccally

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I undertsand that tires and suspension combos can make a big difference on the same vehicle but not to be mentioned on the same day....c'mon Cheryl?? Throw in some engine and tranny differences then sure...but the skeleton is basically the same for both cars.
You are absolutely right! I keep forgetting I put a lot of extras on my new ACR before I ever picked it up and drove it. The only other '08 I've driven was a friends vert but he had the Venom 650R pkg already, that car was fantastic too. I was really comparing a new, mods included, '08 ACR to my '04 vert when I made the "not on the same day" comment. And I didn't mean it as a negative just that the cars feel that much different. I loved my '04 vert but IMHO the ACR is lots more fun! I've had so much fun with him, I've been thru 3 sets of tires, 4 sets of brake pads, and he has 10,000 miles on him already. The only negative I have is I can't afford to buy another one and have two before they're all gone!

OP
OP

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are absolutely right! I keep forgetting I put a lot of extras on my new ACR before I ever picked it up and drove it. The only other '08 I've driven was a friends vert but he had the Venom 650R pkg already, that car was fantastic too. I was really comparing a new, mods included, '08 ACR to my '04 vert when I made the "not on the same day" comment. And I didn't mean it as a negative just that the cars feel that much different. I loved my '04 vert but IMHO the ACR is lots more fun! I've had so much fun with him, I've been thru 3 sets of tires, 4 sets of brake pads, and he has 10,000 miles on him already. The only negative I have is I can't afford to buy another one and have two before they're all gone!

Did I read that right..4 sets of brake pads!!:omg:. I guess that answers my question of whether you track the car.