Need advice on exhaust

SCOTTB

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok so i got my hands on some exhuast tips from a 2008 and i was told that i can put those on my 03 has anyone done this?
If so pics of the process, what to expect if i try to do this myself, is it worth doing help

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they are factory exhaust tips whyeven bother? They look no different than the factory Gen III tips... and in all honesty will do nothing for the car.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think they will extend the tips further out beyond the surrounding panel. Maybe 1/2-3/4 inch. Which IMO does not look particularly better.

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Not on subject [you do not have PM's turned on], but I noticed you are in Altoona, PA. I have family in Johnstown that I visit regularly and drive the viper there during non-winter months. May be next time I'm there, we can meet somewhere for a beer and drive around.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They may not look any better, but if it gets rid of the 24 pounds of crossover it is definately an improvement

OP
OP
S

SCOTTB

Viper Owner
Reaction score
About the exhuast does anyone know will it sound and perform better i mean you are deleting the crossover pipes and going straight out right?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
ScottB,

If by 2008 tips, you mean the exhaust pipes and tips from the muffler back for each side, yes, do this.

Pull your side sills and belly pan, remove the crossover pipes, install the new exhaust pipes with tips and you'll drop some weight, about 28 lbs, and will notice an increase in hp and tq plus a better sound, but not too loud.

Several of our guys have done this and like it very much, especially for the very low cost involved.

Dan

OP
OP
S

SCOTTB

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the info i just didnt want to get into a 1500 bill on new exhaust when new tires are in the very near future.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ScottB,

If by 2008 tips, you mean the exhaust pipes and tips from the muffler back for each side, yes, do this.

Pull your side sills and belly pan, remove the crossover pipes, install the new exhaust pipes with tips and you'll drop some weight, about 28 lbs, and will notice an increase in hp and tq plus a better sound, but not too loud.

Several of our guys have done this and like it very much, especially for the very low cost involved.

Dan

Do you need to install the 08 mufflers, or can you just take the crossover out and put the tips from the 08 and put them on, also do the tip mounts line up with the 06 mounts....I am hearing conflicting stories

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ScottB,

Dan

I absolutely agree with Dan. "Tips" usually refers to the most outbound portion of the exhaust system that's often replaced for "looks" (and I guess sound amplification sometimes). If you can also remove the crossover then it's an entirely different question. Absolutely do that if you are considering it. It should also reduce some cabin heat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960