Need advice on if the paint I am using is ok on my dash

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am in the middle of the project and painted first with sandable Duplicolor primer, 2 coats. Then I do 2 topcoats over the primer with Duplicolor general enamel flat black. The results are amazing but I didn't even think about getting special "plastic" paint like Krylon Fusion or anything. The primer does not mention what it can be painted over and it went on perfect to the plastic dash. Since the primer coat is on there first, does it matter that I didn't get a plastic specific enamel? What about the primer, should it have been plastic specific, I just don't want to have any problems down the road so I'd rather catch it now with only the center a/c-shifter bezel done. Everything else is in the "ready to primer" phase so it would be easy to make the change, but if I don't have to then I'd like to use up the product I bought and again the result was sooo nice on the bezel. Thanks for any help.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in the middle of the project and painted first with sandable Duplicolor primer, 2 coats. Then I do 2 topcoats over the primer with Duplicolor general enamel flat black. The results are amazing but I didn't even think about getting special "plastic" paint like Krylon Fusion or anything. The primer does not mention what it can be painted over and it went on perfect to the plastic dash. Since the primer coat is on there first, does it matter that I didn't get a plastic specific enamel? What about the primer, should it have been plastic specific, I just don't want to have any problems down the road so I'd rather catch it now with only the center a/c-shifter bezel done. Everything else is in the "ready to primer" phase so it would be easy to make the change, but if I don't have to then I'd like to use up the product I bought and again the result was sooo nice on the bezel. Thanks for any help.

I'd use plastic primer first.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are two reasons to use Plastic Compatible paints, solvents and flexibility.
Even if the surface didn't react to solvents in the primer I would think that you would want to use a paint that has added flexibility agents in the plastic compatible version.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, that is what I'm thinking, I'm going to leave the center bezel alone and just see what happens over time with it, if it flakes or something I'll pop it off and redo it. As for the dash duplicolor makes a fabric and vinyl paint that says it is specifically made for dashes and interior pieces b/c of the adhesion and flexiblity properties you were talking about. Thanks for the help.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't over-think it....

You must be registered for see images attach

It'll look great!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't over-think it....

You must be registered for see images attach

It'll look great!!

Hey man, can you tell me what paint you used. I went and got the flexible vinyl/fabric paint for dashboards by Duplicolor and sprayed the glovebox and it looks like $hit and I can't get the stuff off :omg: It Dried almost instantly, ****** me off b/c i'm good at painting parts this paint just *****. Guess I'm going after the Krylon Fusion stuff I've read about and am just going to scuff up the black paint on the box and recoat with the Krylon, good thing I tested it on the box before doing the dash. Please tell me what paint you all that have done this used, thanks.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I would think the Vinyl/Fabric paint is for just that - Vinyl or Fabric. As you know - the Viper dash is high quality plastic:D. I used plain old spray paint when I painted the dash on my '93 - primer, satin black, satin clear and it turned out perfect. The fusion seems to be designed so that you don't need to use primer.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how Dodge ever let that fuzzy gray out the door:dunno:.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
^^^^ Rocket, yeah I like using primer, I just can't seem to find any that specializes in "plastic" except for the krylon which like you mentioned doesn't say to use primer. Where did you pick up the paint what was the brand?

Also, I'm finding that no matter what I use it is very easy to scratch. From the regular primer/enamel I used on the center bezel, to the flexible vinyl/fabric on the glove box test pieces if I lightly run the back of my fingernail over the piece it will leave a scratch *** is this normal for those of you that have done this? On the flexible paint I do have to push harder but isn't spray paint suppose to be a little more durable, is this what a clearcoat would fix? I honestly don't know what to do at this point I'm hoping the krylon works better then Duplicolor. I saw this on their website and thought I might try it:

Krylon: Products: Matte Finish

Last edited: