Need advice...What to do to the car before Viper Days???

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like we're headed to Viper Days thanks to Bill P. :D

What kind of bra would you recommend?

Any tips of any kind as far as what to do to the car before the track would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

S

SUN RA KAT

I changed brake fluid to high temperature brake fluid and had my stock brake pads put back on. I never had even the slightest suggestion that my brake set up was not easily up to the task.

Also, check all your fluids and make sure the caps and dip sticks are securely in place. Check air pressure - I ran 29 psi because I wanted my Viper to feel like it does on the street, but 34 psi will give you better times.

I only needed a bra on one session - a Viper up ahead of me was having some tire shredding issues and chunks were hitting my Viper. But how can you see where you're going with a bra on your windshield?

Leave your floor & trunk mats at home.

Try to get a good night's sleep the night before - you'll soon have your brain full learning how to safely and smoothly learn how to drive your Viper at speeds that you never thought you'd be doing.

Drink lots of water at the track - it will help you stay alert while driving.

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Birvini,
Bill P. is an incredible guy....huh? The most important thing to do before you get to the track is to make sure that you have completely flushed and replaced your brake fluid with DOT 4 or better (synthetic is not necessary). Make sure that the entire system is flushed and bled. When your car is teched by Tom Sessions, you'll note that he wants to make sure that all fluid levels are up to ***** and that the power steering pump oil cap is on super tight.
Save yourself some time and make sure that everything is out of the car and glove box BEFORE you get to the track. No radar detectors, no garage door openers, cassettes, et. al. If you have a RT-10 and you have a hard top, bring it. I'm not positive, but I think that RT-10's must have a hardtop or roll bar (I might be wrong on that though).
If you don't already have a bra for the car, I wouldn't worry about it. Tire rubber makes marks on the paint but they come right off. If you have a bra [for the car] then bring it. If you have a bra [for yourself] you can bring that too! (only fooling). Don't forget your helmet!
This is going to be the experience of your life. I've seen your posts and look forward to meeting you at Mid America. I'm #98.

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "yellow masta" has some good advice.

You need to remember that Viper Days offers more track time than any other venue other than renting the track yourself for a private track day.

You will have more track time than you can mentally handle the first weekend.

Thus, don't try too hard or over drive the car. You hav PLENTY of time to gradually increase speeds and learn sections of the track one at a time.

KEY to remember: The first time you hit the turn in, apex, and track out properly you will be carrying an unexpected amount of speed into the following corner!

Be prepared and think ahead. Keep your EYES UP! You have to look further ahead the faster you go.

Lastly -- HAVE FUN! You should never feel uncomfortable or unprepared with the calssroom and instructors. If you have a question ASK IT because there are no stupid questions! The whole crew is all about helping you.

see http://www.viperdays.com/about.html for more of what you can expect.

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You very smart guy seeking this advice.
DRINK LOTS OF WATER
FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS
SLOW IN IS FAST OUT
MAN ARE YOU IN FOR THE TREAT OF A LIFETIME
SAVE MONEY FOR FUTRE TRACK EVENTS - YOU WILL NEED IT - BIG TIME.
Ditto on all of the above
Work your way into it - slow at first, build confidence - you will be much quicker later.
Thank you for doing this event - I personally believe all Viper owners need (say it again) need to run open track events - otherwise why own such a fantastic car.

Running your car on the track is kinda like the difference between mast...bating and the real thing!!!

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Change your brake fluid to a high temp fluid (Castrol SRF, AP 600, etc.)
2> Change your power steering fluid to Redline synthetic.
3. Bled your clutch fluid. Use same as brake fluid - usually.
4. Make sure oil is fresh.
5. Check tires - you want good ones - not original MXX3s.
6. Bra - I have 3 that I am getting ready to sell. However, I might suggest paintable latex. Our neighbor did this to his yellow 2001 before a heavy track weekend and when he washed his car after, it just came off in a big sheet and underneath was perfect. It's nice becasue it won't cover up that pretty blue and white nose. :) You can also paint behind the rear tires to protect those, as well.

Have a great time! Wish we could make the trip - it's still a possibility, but doubtful....

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neighbor used this product:
http://www.platz.com/philslatexpaint.html

My guess is that you could get something similar at a large paint store (?)

He was VERY pleased, and if I was running my street car, this is what I would use instead of a front end cover. It does NOT interfere with any cooling, it's doesn't flap or rub, etc. He used a brush to apply, although a roller would be a faster application and less noticeable. He didn't put it on his side sills - I would be concerned about heat there, but everywhere else it is just perfect.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960