Need Help Dealer wants to to do TBI 2 on my viper what is it exactly?

IL96RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As some of you remember my viper was stalling at stop lights, so I took it in to the local viper tech here in chicago and he says I need an ACI motor for $455.00 parts and labor plus tax,(also says it will take him 7-10 days to get this motor) and he said that while this thing was going bad it increased the amount of carbon in my intake and he also wants to do a TBI 2 (throttle Body Fuel Induction service) (sp) for $169.00 per throttle body so another $340.00 tech says it will clean out throttle bodies and increase performance. He says should be done every 30K, and I have 35K on her know.
So basically do I need this service every 30K or b/c my ACI motor went out?
Are these realitic prices for the service involved?
any input would be greatly appreciated.
I have completely stock 96 RT 10 35K miles on her never been serviced b/4 except recalls back in 97 and 98.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its probably an IAC motor(Idle Air Control).

The throttle body service can be beneficial if your intake is filled with residue, the price is a bit high but its the dealer.

The fuel induction service usualy involves running a bunch of chemicals through your manifold/T bodies.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it is infact the IAC Motor the price quoted for the part and replacement is out of line. I changed out my IAC motor in about 5 minutes. It took me longer to find my lock-tite than it did to actually change it.

The throttle body service seems expensive too.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Domenic, RUN away from that Dealer!! :eek: They are ripping you off!!!! :evilmad:

AIS motor [automatic idle speed] #5245354 MSRP $164.00 AIS gasket #5245373 MSRP $8.85 Most of the time they can be cleaned out and they work just fine! Changing it 15 mins, cleaning it 30 mins! T/B cleaning 30 mins!

With that many mile on her, it may just need a tune-up?

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What dealer is this? I never want to go there :) I didnt think there were any or reputable viper techs in the chicago metro area. I'd rather take the car down to roanoke.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they are charging too much and you can do it yourself. Clean everything first before you buy anything. Plugs and wires will always help :2tu:

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Listen to what Chuck and everyone else is saying, clean the IAC and throttle bodies yourself. It's a simple process and not that hard to do. Just be careful not to damage or loose the O ring inside the IAC. I had the same problem with my Gen1. Cleaned everything adjusted the throttle bodies, runs perfectly. If any parts have to be replaced call Chuck Tator he'll give you a 10% VCA discount on parts and fast service.

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Domenic, RUN away from that Dealer!! :eek: They are ripping you off!!!! :evilmad:

AIS motor [automatic idle speed] #5245354 MSRP $164.00 AIS gasket #5245373 MSRP $8.85 Most of the time they can be cleaned out and they work just fine! Changing it 15 mins, cleaning it 30 mins! T/B cleaning 30 mins!

With that many mile on her, it may just need a tune-up?

You can't get a better answer then that!
Having the Wizard is like having a mole behind enemy lines! WE ARE VERY LUCKY!

OP
OP
I

IL96RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There are not too many viepr techs in Chicago. This place is South Oak dodge in Matteson IL.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PM sent.

What town you located in?

Waistin, you know of good Dodge Dealerships in Chicago, that have Viper techs? I have to go out to skokie, and even they dont really have one thats up to date. He was a few years ago, but never went back to school to keep the cert. But thats the only thing I could find in chicago. All the other ones said "we dont have a viper tech and cant work on vipers."

So I'm kinda lost as to who to go with. Roanoke isnt an option, since Bill Pemberton and John Gastman were fighting for my business and Bill won, John said he wouldnt work on my car :(

Give me options please.

Jon

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I'm kinda lost as to who to go with. Roanoke isnt an option, since Bill Pemberton and John Gastman were fighting for my business and Bill won, John said he wouldnt work on my car :(

I have known John & Bill for many years and yes there is some competition between Dealers but I realy dont think he would say that to you Jon unless you had it coming. :buttkick:

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have known John & Bill for many years and yes there is some competition between Dealers but I realy dont think he would say that to you Jon unless you had it coming. :buttkick:

Doh! :bonker: Busted by the Wiz! See that, all of those things people say about you ARE true.

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
PM sent.

What town you located in?

Waistin, you know of good Dodge Dealerships in Chicago, that have Viper techs? I have to go out to skokie, and even they dont really have one thats up to date. He was a few years ago, but never went back to school to keep the cert. But thats the only thing I could find in chicago. All the other ones said "we dont have a viper tech and cant work on vipers."

Give me options please.

Jon

Jon, give Sunnyside Dodge in McHenry a call. They have a viper tech named Gary who has a few good reviews here. I also read one bad review about Sunnyside. I took the car to them twice to get gaskets replaced and had to leave the car there for a couple days on both visits. No problems at all and there were no fun drives. Gary states that no one but him even move the car within the service center.

Hope this helps.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
STAY AWAY FROM THAT DEALER. THE INJECTOR-CLEAN SYSTEM IS SNAK-OIL, AND GIVES SNAKEOYL A BAD NAME. {there are times on 96-97 that it might be needed, or on badly-tuned, black-smoke cars...)

If you are in Chicago-Land you can use Samponaro Automotive, the IL-VCA "preferred vendor" in that area, or Roanoke Motors 75 minutes West.

but DO NOT TAKE PARTS FROM CHUCK THERE, THEY'LL JUST RIP YOU OFF ON SOME OTHER ELEMENT OF THE ****-AIR BILL.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there are only 2 dealers in this world im ever gonna deal with. TATOR and WOODHOUSE. id never trust any other dealer..