Need Help Fast

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to Englishtown NJ to time my car in the 1/4 mile. I've never done it and have some questions.
Question 1: In order to get the best times, what type of tire should I buy? I have a set of 18" HREs with MXX3s. I don't want to use them. I have the stock rims and would purchase a set of slicks, or whatever you guys suggest. I also must drive it there if that matters.

Question 2: With all the mods to my engine, it is very difficult to launch the car without wheel hop. I do have a penske adjustable suspension, car is very low. What can I do?

Question 3: since this is my first time dragging, can anyone give me tips on launching, ie., RPMs etc.

Thanks.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am interested in launch info as well...I am beginning to think that riding with someone experienced is the only way...The old, put rpms ~2500 and feather the clutch is easier said than done...For fun at a secluded stop sign I tried a fast launch starting with the revs at 2000...I could feel the adrenaline rush, just the sound gets you going, and you know what happened...wheel spin...dohhhhh

Fun, but not what I wanted. I am sure I would be a complete disaster if I were sitting by the tree!!

Tomer

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never been to the dragstrip.

I read this board quite carefully.

Here is my EXPERT advice: :-D

1) Slicks? Yes.
2) Big-a$$ burn out? You becha. You need to see smoke, and lots of it.
3) Launch at 3750 on the last yellow and quickly release the clutch, feathering ONLY if you need to.
4) Shift 1-2 5900 rpm
5) Shift 2-3 5700 rpm
6) Shift 3-4 5600 rpm

Suspension setup: Fronts Rebound damping, none. Bounce Hard.
Rears: Bounce damping, Rebound damping, hard.
Result: You win!

Ahhhhh ha ha ha...how's that, non-posers?
(thanks Ben--Can I be your 1badgts?)

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year your car is, and therefore what size your stock rims are, will dictate alot about tire choice.

Assuming stocks are 17", a Kumho DOT in 335 is a nice piece that sticks like a **** for around $170 a tire, can't go wrong there, I am burning thru my MXX3s as fast as I can to get those bad boys mounted up.

Englishtown is a great track, many records set there nationwide, so find that happy medium between spinnning and bogging and lay it down and see what happens!!

Let us know!
Check the media section and find my video I put on there a few weeks back, pretty nice burnout there, too bad about the slick track and resulting mid 12's, yuck, at 118.5 though, MPH was there......
best of luck,
Ryan

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg:
If you get slicks or even street leagal Hoosiers, you are not going to drive the car on those tires for two hours to the track through city streets and NY bridges and highways. NOT going to happen. You'll have every pice of garbage on the road stuck to your tires by the time you get to the track. You need to have someone drive your truck or my truck to follow. We'll change the wheels there, which is why we have to leave early. It's on a Sat....should be someone who would want to come.

I'd rather see you on 4 Hoosiers so you can have them for a while and do other events besides just 1/4 mile with slicks.

I'm not expert, but as for the launch...you don't want to spin at the light. You might burnout before hand, then approach the line for the start. For a best reaction time, I would go on the last yellow which would just about get you across the line on the green. Keep the revs low.....2k, maybe 2500. Just take off with a chirp and then nail it!

We'll talk tomorrow.......

Andrew

OP
OP
U

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a feeling I'm going to screw the whole thing up. I should have mentioned before that the stock rims are 97 GTS.

Any more advice would be appreciated.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Michelin Pilots launch much better than the MXX3s.

For a more drag specific setup contact John Purner at Complete Custom Wheel. (386) 258-0083 or (888) 577-0144

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I launch @ 900 to 1000 rpm with the pilot sports @ 20 lbs. This has been good for me, but Im no pro. Check out the performance chat & search for launch.

Reaction score
97 stock wheels are 17" John Purner can likely set you up with wider wheels to take a wider rear tire. Hoosier is a good choice if you have to drive on them to the track. Check with your local club members, perhaps some one will trailer your snake or take wheels/tires to the track for you, in which case go with slicks. Good luck.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Since you have 17", try the Kumhos.
I have em under $650 / set of 4

You want the front to raise, and the rear to SQUAT.

You could even disconnect one end of the front sway bar.

Burnouts to clean the tires but NOT in the water box w/ treaded tires.

I would NOT suggest a rookie launch above 2500. Semi-bog the start at 2200 to avoid wheelspin. HOOK UP.....then zoom-zoom-zoom.

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One more poser suggestion:

The pilot sports are good launching tires when new--this is experience, not hearsay.

Try this before you go: Air down your pilots to 20psi in the rear. Go out to some deserted road, and practice launching at about 3300 rpm. It works. You bump the car forward with the clutch to get it moving, quickly feather a moment to avoid spin, and quick release the clutch at that point.

When it's done right, the car seems to leap forward and the RPMs sag just a little under 3K. This is how I get the 0-60 times down under 4.

I believe that the best thing you can do to prepare is to practice your launch technique over and over on a deserted street.

When you get to the track, if you stay all night, you'll get 4 runs in. On run every 40-minutes to an hour if it's like most tracks. (this is why I refuse to go)

You'll be so excited when you finally get to your run, that only practice BEFOREHAND will prevent super-spin.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Besides the above advice, I will give you this. If you are experiencing wild wheel spin, off the line or the 1-2 shift don't try and ride it out unless you feel they are catching. There have been more than one Viper owner who put the car into a wall because he thought he could ride out the spinning. Probably not a concern with a near stock car but food for thought. There is always another run but you can only put the car into the wall one time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AIllick