Need help pls Kw coilovers for 96 wont fit

dandimand

Viper Owner
Reaction score
HI I just purchased a set a kw variant 2 coil overs for a 96 gts viper is there a different fork for the Rear that must be used as Im replacing the Aldans that were in there and these coil overs are at least an Inch longer and I cant get them in with the stock fork thanks Dan . Ive tried prying the A arms down and still a no go .

OP
OP
D

dandimand

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I figured it out You must remove the spring collars to get the shock in . Now does anyone have the stock ride height dimensions lets say measured to the fender lip or the rocker panel to the ground pls I want stock ride height or close to it thanks . right now rear rocker panel measure in front of rear tire is about 4.125" from ground .

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fenders are a poor reference. The correct place to measure is from the frame rail bottom to the ground in line with each axle group. 4.5 front, 4.75 rear.

OP
OP
D

dandimand

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the info this car had a broken frame previously and I didnt realize the driver side rear tie rod end arm was bent down almost 5/16 lower than the passenger side Ive since remedied this problem and hope this car will now with a proper alignment become actually driveable as its been sitting for 6 year for this reason as it was all over the road when crusing around the car had previously been run very hard with nitrous at the race track and went low 10s in the quarter . does anyone have any advice on the shims for the outer bolt on the rear tie rod can you buy these shims or do you just make them ? and would the 5/16 lower bent tie rod end on the driver side cause these afformentioned drivabitly problems ? ps car has new ps2 tires on it inflated too 30 lbs

Last edited:

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those shims are there to control bump steer which is something you never worry about til it's out of whack. They are availabl thru Dodge and you should carefully inspect the inner bracket for damage. Vipers are extremely sensitive to bushing preload on shocks and wishbones. Follow the service manual ballast and torque procedure and you will be happy and safe.

OP
OP
D

dandimand

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did the frame repair and made a pinion support years ago but didnt realize at that time the tie rod end was bent down on the driver side the front repair to the rack was done before I got the car in here for work to be done the pinion support I made works very slick goes under the front of the dif in those two bolts and is welded onto each side of the frame with adjustable neoprene Rod ends . Like I said Ive never driven a car as bad as this and just trying to keep my customer happy I know alot about bump steer etc... as Ive been building race cars for 25 plus years mainly Drag cars though but this is my first forray into a double wishbone rear suspension . Racing - Drag Car Fabrication&Components, ProGas Engineering is my website .I will test drive the car tomorrow to see if its somewhat closer to working properly Thanks for all your help ride heights are now set according to your reccomendations Is there any advantage to me putting this car On the wheel scales and setting corner weights ? I have scales .
ps the reason for replacing the Aldan shocks is the passenger side rear was blown .

OP
OP
D

dandimand

Viper Owner
Reaction score
just drove the car now its a dream compared to what it used to be Its actually drivable now what a difference very happy . nice ride as well with the new coil overs no more bump steer and took it down bumpy rutted roads . Customer will be elated as car is finally drivable

OP
OP
D

dandimand

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im going to try to post some pics of the car and some of the work Ive done and yes agree aldans are junk would never use them In any of the cars Ive built .

Attachments

• 96 viper Gts pics 001.jpg
    96 viper Gts pics 001.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 96 viper Gts pics 004.jpg
    96 viper Gts pics 004.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 96 viper Gts pics 008.jpg
    96 viper Gts pics 008.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
D

dandimand

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here is a few more pics .Sorry wouldnt let me post as guess I reached the limit

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got to thinking after I made the last post on my crackberry that the frame failure you mention sounds an awful lot like the kind of thing that the 998/999 factory recall was created to fix. (broken pinion & diff. support structure) Also, if the outer tie rod is high or low, that can be fixed by adjusting the caster angle or replacing a bent rear knuckle (they are a known weak point). The only accurate way to measure rear caster is with the factory service tools.

OP
OP
D

dandimand

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes your right on that The owner never did take the car in for this fix . It has heavy duty driveshafts in the car as well, As many were broken in the past . the next thing that will need addressing will be the trans as it can pop out of third gear on occasion do I get this one rebuilt or just use it as a core and get a new one from keisler or someone like that I know I just ordered the t56 For my own personal hot rod from them .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajya