Need help/pointers removing side sills

05yellowSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm installing Mopar exhaust and am trying to take off the sills. Piece of cake for most fasteners but I'm having a real problem getting to the 2nd 10mm nut in the side vent. The one that is all the way forward against the wheel well.

There is just not enough room to swing even a small wrench. Instructions aren't much help other than to advise patience...

Is there a particular trick to this? Do I need to drill a hole in the wheel well from the other side to get access to the nut?
Appreciate any pointers
thanks, Gerald

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a thread on how to take them off. I found that taking the plastic snap-fasters off the wheel well covers and pushing them(plastic well covers) forward gives some exposure to the screw in question. Better yet I tapped out a hole(1 1/2inch)on the well cover near the screw so that in future occassions its a matter of accessing it that way. In all cases you need to remove the front wheel. By the way the access hole I created is covered by a round piece of 3M clear bra(not visible). It removes quickly and at the same time it prevents dirt and water from penetrating. Feel free to PM me as I take them off at least every four months to clean them.

Dagger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just removed mine the night before last. The easiest way, pointed out to me by Rob @ Atro Racing, was to cut a small piece away. Just in front of the nut, inside the wheel well. Very inconspicuous, and easily repaired. By doing so I was able to remove that inside nut in less than 2 min. Save me a whole lot of headach..as I'm sure your finding out now.

Since I am about to replace with new exhaust myself, guess we'll be mirroring each others efforts. Let me know how it works out, and what the end result. I'll be posting the same next week.

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've probably taken my sill off 10 times (exhaust heat problems...) and I didn't cut the plastic wheel liner or remove the wheel. Insert a long screw diver between the plastic liner and exterior panel beside the nut so you can "push" the liner back exposing the nut. There is an inner panel seam you can use as leverage with the screw driver so you don't damage the exterior panel. Once you've pushed back the liner you can use a deep socket to access the nut in the notched area of the outer panel. This is lots better than trying to get a wrench back between the panels. Good luck.

ccronald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the wheel removed, removing the fender liner is very simple and takes less than 5 minutes- a few plastic fasteners and a couple of screws. It's worth considering replacing the plastic fasteners with the newer design the dealers stock now- they are more positive than the original fasteners that came on my 03.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've probably taken my sill off 10 times (exhaust heat problems...) and I didn't cut the plastic wheel liner or remove the wheel. Insert a long screw diver between the plastic liner and exterior panel beside the nut so you can "push" the liner back exposing the nut. There is an inner panel seam you can use as leverage with the screw driver so you don't damage the exterior panel. Once you've pushed back the liner you can use a deep socket to access the nut in the notched area of the outer panel. This is lots better than trying to get a wrench back between the panels. Good luck.

This is the exact method I used but I'll tell you that I had about 5 pounds of duct tape on the fender so I wouldn't scratch it in case Murphy showed up. When re-installing, I put that bolt back on only finger-tight. Now, removing them again will be a snap.

OP
OP

05yellowSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips. I finally got them off using a 10mm wrench with flanges ground back. I also had to tie a string to it as I lost a couple of wrenches down the vent...

If I ever have to do it again, I'll go the front fender well route.

I intended to leave the cross-over but since I had to take off floor plate to loosen cross-over to remove stock muffler, I just removed the entire cross over. Am amazing amount of piping. Sills stay much cooler now. I was concerned that it would be too loud without the cross over, but not so.

New exhaust (Mopar Performance/Borla) definitely attracts more attention.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dagger, Another way is to drill a 1/2" - 3/4" hole and buy a plastic plug to snap into the hole after. This is what Rich, ( Yelloh ), requested that I do on his viper.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With the wheel removed, removing the fender liner is very simple and takes less than 5 minutes- a few plastic fasteners and a couple of screws. It's worth considering replacing the plastic fasteners with the newer design the dealers stock now- they are more positive than the original fasteners that came on my 03.

Please describe how you did this in 5 minutes. I couldn't get the inner fender well clear without first removing the side panel.

Getting off the side panel didn't require any cutting or drilling, just use a 1/4" drive socket after the inner fender well is sprung slightly inboard.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3104MVC-016S-med.JPG

3104MVC-017S-med.JPG

You really don't need a screwdriver, just strong fingers.