NEED HELP WITH PLATE TICKETS

UVBINBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
has any one tryed to fight this front plate nosense any paper work from dodge saying a front plate stops the flow of air or anything like that also has any one worked on making any kinda hide a plate or any thing like this. this is now the 3rd time the same front plate ball busting cop has pulled me over no tickets yet but this time he pulled me over in front of a school all the kids loved that one. has any one tryed calling the dmv or getting a letter from a judge thanks jon

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not from NY, but I think most just keep the order form from Dodge(for the front plate) in the car as to the proof they will comply. Can't help that they are backordered for 6-8 months :D Do a search!

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jon - i've heard of some people keeping the plate under the passenger seat. when/if you get pulled over, throw it up on the dash...i've heard a few say its worked for them

OP
OP
U

UVBINBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i tryed that one putting in on the dash he said nice try it must be mounted

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's too bad that some states require a front plate.
I don't feel that I need to offer the cops an easy excuse to stop me whenever they feel like it.
Put on the front plate.

Even if you have a letter saying that you are waiting for a bracket or you pull the plate out from under the seat, you still get stopped.

I don't want to deal with these jerks. I don't trust them and I don't want them pulling me over.
Some of them hate you just because you are driving a car that's worth more than they make in a year.
They hate their life and here you are doing what they wish they could do.

Go out to eat with the wife and have one beer with dinner. Then get stopped for no plate. They will have you marching up and down the side of the road.
"Mr. Brown, I smell alcohol on your breath".
"But officer, I only had one beer"
Now they have determined that you have been drinking. The question becomes how much.
"Please step out of the car".
Screw them. Put the front plate on your car.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel the same way about a beer with dinner. I got tired of getting screwed with & bought the bracket someone on this site makes. It uses existing holes to mount a small bracket. It looks good & I don't worry anymore.
I will see if I can find the link to his website.
I have a brand new suction cup bracket that will suction cup to the front I will sell. (never used)

Andy

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It isn't illegal to drink & drive, only to operate while impaired.

The field sobriety test is usually what the police use to establish probable cause & subsequently haul you in to administer the official BAC test used in court. The official BAC test is the one that mandates license suspension for refusal. (Other probable causes are falling down drunk....obvious...or mandatory administration after fatal accident where aclohol is suspected.)

If you are not impaired & do not participate in the establishment of probable cause, there are no results to record on the probable cause affidavit (required). Hence, the official BAC can not be administered, much less refused & subsequently reported to the license bureau for what would otherwise result in a suspension.

Obviously, not being pulled over for something as silly as no front plate precludes any of the above.

I have seen this work.

Mach500

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to court and pleaded guilty, and told the judge the car did not come with the front plate bracket MOUNTED on the bumper. The judge threw it out and found me NOT guilty. But I do agree with some of the posts above in that why give these nothing-better-to-do cops a chance to pull you over? I've been thinking about using plastic tie wraps to mount them on the front bumper on long cruises, and removing them upon arrival by cutting the tie wraps off.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have seen what work? Telling the cop that you refuse to take the roadside test but you would be glad to take the real test if he takes you in?

You want to call his bluff? Is that it? If he can smell any alcohol on you he will take you in. In handcuffs, perhaps tow your car.

I'm not talking about being drunk. I'm just talking about really having one or two beers an hour ago with your tacos.
You should be able to do that. But if you get close to a cop, you will be asked to touch your nose while cars are driving by looking at you like you are some kind of perp.

I know very well that the cops can't charge you with anything if you have really only had one or two beers.

The problem is, they have every right to make you jump through any kind of silly crap they want, right there by the side of the road.

The only probable cause that they need for that is the smell of alcohol on you.

They can't just pull you over for nothing, well, they aren't supposed to. If you have no front plate you stand a much better chance of having a, close enough to sniff", encounter with the law.

I have the plate on the front.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simple solution---register the car in a different state. How about groups of viper owners buying property in a state which doesn't require the front plate and everyone using that address??===Kidding of course, but the different state idea works well. Another thought along that line- would the dmv allow a po box as your address? Here in Georgia, we have emission testing for a handfull of counties-- many folks just register at the parents, friends or the mountain home. Problem solved. John

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe - i agree
Big Medicine - it is illegal to drink & drive around here.
you don't have to be drunk, but any liquor on you is enough reason to bring you in. Around here, NJ,CT,NY you can get a DUI (driving under influence) permanently on your record for one beer. DWI (while intoxicated) is another.

Anyways, lose the plate when you're sober. If you're that worried about the fuzz get a temporary fix for the front when you booze

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia the need for a front plate is all about the fine for red light running. With cameras at many intersections to capture images of red light runners, a front plate is necessary to identify the culprit.
Rumor has it that the absence of a front plate now carries the same penalty as running the light, $330. I first heard this rumor only recently, don't know it for fact.

newredrt10

Former VCA National President
Administrator
Reaction score
I looked in to the missing plate law in Ohio. There is a movment in the state to stop the requirement for the frount plate, because of this I was told to get a ticket and go before the court. I was to plead no contest and explain the reason for not having the plate and let the judge rule. If he rules in my favor, I was to asked for the court varience(letter) stating the case and the judges ruling and their statement that the car is not required to have the plate. Then if stopped show the letter to the officer and he should not do anything [key word should not]. I have not tried this because no statetrooper has stopped me, followed almost every time the see me but have never stopped me. Just rememeber if the judge is having a bad day it could get expensive.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YES, I have used it once & seen it work on 3 other occasions. They don't take you in. It drives them insane b/c this is not a well known loophole.

READ this

http://www.drunkdrivingdefense.com/general/field-sobriety-tests.htm

http://www.drunkdrivingdefense.com/general/lawrence-taylor.htm

If they don't have probable cause to believe you are impaired, they cannot administer the test.

tim721, I disagree. While some states differ, they can't get around the old bill of rights. They may haul you in, b/c they can do anything they want if they are dishonest. But the cops don't give you a DUI, a judge does, & when the cops show up to court w/o evidence (refer to probable cause affidavit & no test results), the charges are simply reduced or dismissed. In all likelyhood, hiring a lawyer will result in the same by haggling with the DA before you ever get to court.

They must have probable cause to believe you are impaired to take you in.

You have seen what work? Telling the cop that you refuse to take the roadside test but you would be glad to take the real test if he takes you in?

You want to call his bluff? Is that it? If he can smell any alcohol on you he will take you in. In handcuffs, perhaps tow your car.

I'm not talking about being drunk. I'm just talking about really having one or two beers an hour ago with your tacos.
You should be able to do that. But if you get close to a cop, you will be asked to touch your nose while cars are driving by looking at you like you are some kind of perp.

I know very well that the cops can't charge you with anything if you have really only had one or two beers.

The problem is, they have every right to make you jump through any kind of silly crap they want, right there by the side of the road.

The only probable cause that they need for that is the smell of alcohol on you.

They can't just pull you over for nothing, well, they aren't supposed to. If you have no front plate you stand a much better chance of having a, close enough to sniff", encounter with the law.

I have the plate on the front.

Dave Adkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most agree that it is a long shot, but I've talked to a couple a WA State troopers and they've all agreed that someone must be having a bad day to ticket you for this.

One guy in Canada has used this form I cooked up successfully in court to get out of a ticket:

Exemption Form for Viper

I haven't yet got a 'no front plate' ticket.

There is precedence set in Washington State in that the Panoz Roadster has a legally authorized exception to RCW46.16.240.