Need input on this exhaust setup

Carl 2002 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've installed metal hi-flow cats and B&B exhaust. The drone is unbearable through most of the RPM range above 2000. A guy at B&B said their setup was intended for stock cats and noone has complained of drone before. Would the resonator assembly at the rear end of a Corsa system fit in-line with my B&B setup? Also, would replacing my X pipes with the Corsa resonators and H pipe make much difference? It looks like both systems are fairly similar until they get past the rear axle anyway. After dropping the money on the B&B's, I'm trying to find an inexpensive alternative to replacing the whole thing. Does anyone have another suggestion that would still keep my side sills cool, keep the sound mean, eliminate the drone and keep my costs down?...besides replacing the B&B's all together.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
High flow cats and Corsa catback = No cabin drone at all at any rpm range. Can't help with what you have already installed but I thought the x pipe was supposed to reduce the drone.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corsa needs both the in sill reasonators and rear mufflers to work, (and they don't sell the individual components) so if drone relief is the desire, I think EBay'ng your B&B's are the next move...

Some seem to hate any drone (like me) and others seem impervious to it.... They are your customer

OP
OP
C

Carl 2002 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason why I am suggesting this alteration is that the B&B's also have the side sill resonators. It appears that the only difference between the Corsa and B&B systems is what they do after the rear axle (I have no idea if the side sill resonators for both systems have the same interior design, however). So I was kinda hoping that replacing the last two feet of the B&B 's, where the x-pipe is, with the Corsa resonators would give me the same effect. I haven't thought about how to acquire the Corsa piece, maybe from a wreck. I just wondered if was even feasible.

cgmaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have heard that the crossover tube or xpipe is what will reduce the drone. I know magnaflow makes an xpipe and a crossover muffler. I have seen both of these but not on a viper. They look like good solutions. Another cheap thing to try would be to put a crossover pipe in anyone could do this cheap. I know it would be hard to do but the closer you get the crossover to the engine the more effect it will have.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try Sean Roe. He uses the B&B set up on his car. Don't know whose hi-flows you are using but brands could make a difference. Sean should be able to give you some advice.
Good Luck

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Carl,

The typical drone most people talk about in GTS's occurs between 1,500 and 2,000 RPM at a steady cruise, such as cruising down the highway in 6th gear. A crossover, H or X pipe eliminates / greatly reduces this. Corsa and B&B both have these features. A crossover can be put in a Borla with the same results. We have tested 7 different cat back configurations on our shop GTS for extended periods of time over the last 3&1/2 years.

The drone you describe may be something different. The indicators are that it's above 2,000 RPM and your post here http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=314712&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1
I've only got 4000 miles on my 02 and have noticed that it's starting to run poorly with a ton of vibration (Actually, I'm not sure it has ever run as good as it should have since I bought it new off the showroon floor). Anyway, at a friend's advice, I removed all of the spark plugs and found that the entire left bank is crudded up. There is clumps of crusty ash-colored build up on all five plugs and even a noticeable amount of oil on the last cylinder plug (I guess that would be the 9 cylinder?). The right side is perfect and shows no problems whatsoever. My recent mods were T&D's and a VEC-1. I can't see how either of these mods would create this asymetrical situation. Is it possible that I have a factory defect in the valve seals in that one head? Has anyone else run across a similar problem? I've got Larry Macedo looking into it for me and am hoping it can be corrected under warranty. Is there any possibilty at all that I could have broken something by driving too hard or is it way to coincidental that there is a problem with all five cylinders on that side? Help, please.
Sounds like you should get that car in and have it checked out by the dealer.

Regards,
Sean

OP
OP
C

Carl 2002 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's input. The guy in a previous post who added a longer muffler in the sills got a quieter sound but still has to deal with the heat. Eliminating the heat was most of my reason for changing exhaust originally. I know the B&B is sopposed to have limited drone because of the X-pipe, but in my case, the drone is quite substantial. So I have stock manifolds, Random Tech metal hi-flows, B&B cat back with side sill resonators and an X-pipe in the rear. Does anyone else with this setup find that their car sounds any different?
Sean, I believe I have solved the rough motor condition simply by replacing all of my plugs (at least until I can get the seals installed). So I don't believe my motor problems are causing the annoying exhaust note. Could it be VEC-related? Could the advancing or retarding of the timing be causing it?

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sean, I believe I have solved the rough motor condition simply by replacing all of my plugs (at least until I can get the seals installed). So I don't believe my motor problems are causing the annoying exhaust note. Could it be VEC-related? Could the advancing or retarding of the timing be causing it?

Glad to hear you've got the engine running right. From the previous post, it had sounded like there might be more to it than plugs.
Regarding the VEC1, doubtful that it is the cause of the drone. However, you could simply turn the knobs to 0/0 while driving to see if it changed.
The drone you describe is unusual for a system with a crossover pipe. The only ones I know of that experience that are the cat-back systems without one.
Have you compared yours to any others or let Larry listen to it yet? The only part of your system I have no experience with is the particular cats you're using.

Regards,
Sean

Mighty GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just put the B&B catback with stock cats on my 97GTS
and it drones. I guess you have to give a little to get
a little, the idle note is awesome, as is the WOT sound.
The drone can be irritating, but with gear selection and
speed modulation, it can me "managed" to some extent.
I was thinking Corsa before my purchase, but I didn't
want it to be too quiet at idle, so I went B&B.

As others have stated, it would be best to attend a rally
or something and check out the systems in person, but this will only give you a preview of idle sounds, not highway
cruise droning effects.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A guy at B&B said their setup was intended for stock cats and noone has complained of drone before.
Boy, that sounds like a dumb answer to me :rolleyes: .
Headers made for stock cats only?

Max

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
MAXED GTS- we are talking about a CAT-BACK, not Headers. It makes perfect sense to design it for use with stock cats, as most people dont bother changing them out.

CARL- I have a B&B with RT Metal Substrate Cats (the LOUDEST combo), and I dont have very much drone at all. However, a couple things to remember;
-First, the B&B system will drone VERY loud until it is warmed up-(the 3 systems that I have installed did the same thing)-this drove will be mainly around 2000RPM. It is a Full and REAL Stainless Steel system, so warming it up will take a few minutes. (SS transfers heat poorly)
-Second, a Vec-1 will help the drone a little, as I noticed the drone and the "popping" changes with tuning of the vec-1. when you reach a good setting, it will pop and drone less.
-Third the more windows you have open, the less drone you will have. when I cruise with both windows open, I have zero drone. even with both windows up, it is still not much. you may want to check over your install again and make sure everything is sealing correctly, not touching the frame, etc.
-Lastly, you will get very accustomed to this sound after a while, and miss it when you dont hear it. As stated above, you have to give a little, to get a little. I am no fan of the way a corsa sounds, so for me, B&B was the only choice. (borla sounds similar, but drones MUCH more than a B&B)

OP
OP
C

Carl 2002 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again, thanks for all of the feedback. Dan, I greatly appreciate your input. I believe I purchased this combination due in part to a post from you several months ago. I'm already getting used to it but my wife will not ride in it...and since I do need the occasional cup holder... Interesting what you said about the sound being different after it heats up. I kind of felt like that was the case but thought maybe I was just getting used to it. I will have a more knowledgeable person, or at least someone who has heard a few Vipers with these mods, to see if it is supposed to sound like it does, or if there might be something I need to tweak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine