Need Recomendations for a Radar/Laser Detector

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Pretty much any detector in the $200-plus cost range will have all of the radar detection range you need - I've had detectors that would notify me of a radar for many miles ahead of time, to the point I'd just about decided that the radar was behind me and that slowing down perhaps was not the correct response, THEN I come across the trap about the time I'd decided to speed up.

So, the features *I* look for are false rejection and radar location. Valentine-1 has some of the best false rejection without hurting range, and, until their patent runs out, is the only one with the directional arrows, which makes the decision fairly easy.

PowerKraus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BEl 65 here, and still run some of the older Bells with success. POP mode has a little itchy trigger finger, as when it goes off I rarely see the law. Could be true/false on POP, just have not visually verified the POPer.

jaydoc1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yep, my V1 will pick up automatic door openers wwaaaaaayy farther away than my Bel RX 65. It just doesn't pick up cop radar at any longer range than the Bel. I do like the arrows though.
Door openers run on the same frequencies as police radar, so, this implies it would indeed pick up on cop radar at a longer ranger than your Bel, at least on this frequency. Perhaps you are comparing X-band (most door openers) to K or Ka band.

Yeah I was referring to X-band. Just giving you Valentine boys a hard time. I think any of the top three perform equally well (****** Passport 8500, Valentine 1, or Bel RX65). Pick any of those three and you can't go wrong. Most people do seem to love their arrows on the Valentines though!

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah I was referring to X-band. Just giving you Valentine boys a hard time. I think any of the top three perform equally well (****** Passport 8500, Valentine 1, or Bel RX65). Pick any of those three and you can't go wrong. Most people do seem to love their arrows on the Valentines though!
Agreed. I like the bogey counter and arrows; the arrows I use every time it goes off, the bogey counter I rarely will take note of - I think I've wanted to know that information only a couple dozen times in more than 150k miles of driving. Other than the arrows (which are invaluable to me) and superior false rejection, a Valentine-1 is on par with others. Although I've been a happy Valentine-1 user for over ten years, I do wish they could make a more user-friendly/smaller/less-bulky case. :cool:

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed. I like the bogey counter and arrows; the arrows I use every time it goes off, the bogey counter I rarely will take note of - I think I've wanted to know that information only a couple dozen times in more than 150k miles of driving. Other than the arrows (which are invaluable to me) and superior false rejection,

I do use the bogey counter, probably like Randy above. Here's an example of how well it works. Driving home from work a few years ago..and passing by the same store daily on the highway (55MPH)....which always set off the X band (which can be de-programmed if you like)...you tend to take the same signal daily for granted. In the middle of the strongest stretch of this X signal....the bogey counter picked one more ..then another. The arrows were flashing forward and backward in addition to a sideways signal as I was passing the store. The V1 was lit up!

Turns out I was sandwiched.....radar in front...radar behind...and X signal from the store. I've been in a sandwich situation several times over the 750,000 miles I've been running Valentines. The cops weren't after me, but a regular detector would have gone off in the regular place it always does 'at the store' and you would have no clue what was ahead or behind. I feel naked without the arrows and I pay some attention to the bogey counter as well.

After a while you kind of become "one with your V1" ;) .....you kind of know when it's the real thing

Steve

CaptainDavid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've installed a Bel 65 pro and hard wired it to the rear view mirror so there are no wires hanging all over the place. Glued the bracked to the windshield. Works perfect, not obvious nor in the way. Plus I never miss a drugstore..