Need some feedback from Viper GTS Owners

FalconFlyer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone.. just about to pull the trigger on a 2014 GTS Viper ... unfortunately I was not able to test drive the car for more that about 5 min.. my test drive was mostly at road speeds. I keep hearing how loud the Viper is inside (my wife has a F Type R and I have a M6). I thought it was as loud at the F Type (which is what I am looking for.. .much more involved), however I have read several posts on other boards where driving at highway speeds (around 70-80), the car is very loud, hard to talk, etc. I wanted to get feedback from current owners as I tend to do a lot of driving on they highway.. no more than 30-45 min trips at one time. Could you guys give me your feedback with the car.

Thanks in advance.

elitex

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a SRT which is louder and IMO, it's not that loud.

JETSTAR

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
GTS is not that loud maybe just a little more than my ZR-1
The SRT has a lot more road noise
If your in Palm Beach FL anytime soon you can drive mine
and I can fix your Falcon :)
thanks
Wayne

OP
OP
F

FalconFlyer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Wayne..... in Palm Beach all the time and I have no doubt you have worked on "our" Falcon's.. thanks for the report. Watching all the Youtube reviews out there, and all the reports claiming how loud the car it... just got me a little concerned...

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS owner here. There's more sound mitigation in the GTS than in the base SRT. There's a drone as you accelerate still but it's not unbearable. Personally I wish it were louder and have considered Belanger and corsa exhausts. The sound is music. You won't even want to turn the radio on. But if you did you can certainly hear it and could have a conversation with a passenger. I've owned Jaguar before. Nice car. But the Viper us way more exclusive and more special. What is your objective in ownership? DD? Track toy? Weekend fun?

OP
OP
F

FalconFlyer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Policy Limits.. .thanks for the information. My objective to ownership is I want something comfortable (in terms of seats) but a lot more "raw" than my M6. When my wife picked up her F-Type R I realized what the press meant when they said how BMW has engineered out all the fun. Yes it is fast as hell... but you would not know it. In my wife's car I never turn the radio on and feel like a little kid when it comes to the sound it makes. I love going fast, and will take the car to the track as well.... and I am looking for a car that when I get done driving it... I say.. wow... that scared the hell out of me.. lets do that again!

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't get any more raw than a hot side pipe exhaust, V10 engine, 3 pedals on the floor and a double bubble roof to fit a helmet. The GTS comfort is great. The CEO drove from Southern Florida to CA to do an episode of Leno's garage to prove it. The laguna sepia is mine is one of my favorite interiors and I've owned Bentley, Lamborghini & Maserati. The italian influence is self evident & everything is wrapped. The Sabelt seats utilized are the same ones they put in Ferrari's. See if u can rent one for a weekend. Hope this helps.

LS6 Molester

Viper Owner
Reaction score
this is not the type of car to worry how loud it is. if that's the main issue this isn't the car for you.

mblgjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's loud enough to be fun.

I have driven 10-12hr stints in it.

8hr straight with my wife one time; she doesn't consider it too loud. FWIW.

OP
OP
F

FalconFlyer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys... well pulled the trigger on a 2013 GTS... got a great deal on it. Love the comfort (seats are actually better than my M6), and really like the fit and finish. The only issues I have with the car is there appears (on my car) to be a real drone at 2000-2300 rpm.. which just happens is around 70-75 mph which is where I do a lot of my driving. I talked with a local shop that does a lot of my car work and they are working with one of my aviation suppliers to put in some tuned insulation in to take the drone out. Love the sound, but the not drone at 70 mph (I really like the sound above 5000 rpm). I figured it might be an issue with this car since some of the early production GTS's had this issue (I have seen some videos on this subject). Any information out there would be helpful

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
falcon, I'm not familiar with the Gen 5, but the drone is a characteristic of the Viper Engine and is an engineering problem. IMHO I would doubt any slight mod to the exhaust will help. it seems like the drone bothers some people and not others. not sure exactly why. I personally did not care for it.

I had a 2001 GTS and put a Corsa Exhaust on it and that made a huge difference., I really like the exhaust sound. I also had a 2006 Coupe and that car had a merged exhaust in stock form which to me sounded pretty good, There was a little drone at 1300 and just tried to stay out of that range. keeping in mind the 2006 gear is way different and at 1500 RPM in 6th you would go around 70+ MPH.

Not sure if driving faster or slower on the highway will help to stay out of the drone range. Or perhaps a Corsa Exhaust would help. maybe some Gen V Corsa owners can chime in. Corsa exhausts are known for reducing drone on the Viper.

OP
OP
F

FalconFlyer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will do..... going to pull the interior next Tuesday. I have aviation grade sound deadening material coming in, should knock down the drone but not effect the engine noises, so we will see how that does. That is going to be step one... the second step with be the exhaust. Other than that, loving the car!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave