need some help from the MD viper guys

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just wondering if you happen to know about the used car buying laws in maryland, I bought an 04 from a dealer in md, upon pick up I was told "btw there was a tap from the valve cover so we had it at a shop down the street to be repaired and it cost $1800 bucks" I actually took delivery of the viper from this shop down the street.

Drive it home, park it for a month or so, start it back up TAP TAP TAP, at the moment shes at Tators but my real question is the dealership and or this shop on the hook for this? I have less the 500 miles on this car since the time of purchase.

also the car was under 60k miles when I bought it but IS over 60k NOW

thanks guys any help would be awesome

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you purchased AS IS, I dont think your going to have any luck holding them responsible, not to mention the month or so timeframe you had the car without making the dealership aware of the issue. I assume the tapping was gone when you picked it up?

Id ran this pass a lawyer. If they sold you the car knowing the problem wasnt fixed, you might have a case but its slim if you purchased as is. You could try the angle of "when you agreed to purchase the car, there was no tapping, but when proceeded to pick the car up, they informed you of the issue.

Good luck to you.

OP
OP
S

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes I NEVER heard tapping, on the test drive no tapping at all, but whe I picked her up they said THEY noticed it and had it repaired

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It might be helpful to know who the dealer is, some are more straight than crooked and we tend to know who is who. I suggest you PM me that to preserve your options as your best bet will be getting the dealer to leverage the shop they paid. As you picked it up there the story sounds as if they really did try to fix it.

Having said that you best bet would be to have the shop that did the work do it over until it's right, if Chuck is already working on it that option is sort of gone. I doubt you will ever get the shop or the dealer to pony up and pay Chuck.
But the dealer may well go to bat for you and have an interest in making the shop perform as it's sounds like they really paid the shop and the shop may have screwed them as well..

Pm me the name of the shop if you have it as well and we will see if we can dig up any intelligence for you.

Review your paperwork to see if there is any implied or expressed warranty for any period of time but absent that wording the state of Maryland will be no help.

Other than that you're gonna need help from the guy who whose boat shares your user name.:rolaugh:
And welcome back by the way, now rejoin VCA!

OP
OP
S

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pm sent, thanks for the help, on a side note, the guys at the actual dealership were really cool guys an I think you hit the nail on the head, THEY got screwed as well imo

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wait a second..... Isn't there "supposed" to be a noticable engine tap (Gen. III engines)? The tapping you're hearing may be normal. If your test drive began with a cold engine, the tapping sound is not very noticable but once the engine warms up, you will notice a tapping sound (lifters). There have been several treads on the subject over the years.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just got the dreded call, #10 rod spun

Oh crap. Sorry, man. Mind sharing what dealer that was with me, so i know in the future. Good luck, at least it's at a place now that you can trust with your life.

OP
OP
S

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
to be 100% honest im not so sure the dealership knew about the issue, their "shop" mentioned it and claimed to have fixed it, then this, I never heard the noise and neither did the dealership

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang