Need some info on CALIFORNIA cars

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill P (master of all things Viper) said recently that all Viper SRT's are california certified - or actually I think he said all SRT's had "50 state stickers" on them. This leads one to believe any SRT is OK for registration in California.

On the other hand, I have heard that Cali cars have not yet rolled down the line.

Question: What happens if someone who has already taken delivery of their SRT was to attempt registration in California? On the one hand, the car has a California sticker on it, so I'd say it would be OK. On the other hand, people "in the know" say it may not be OK. On the other other hand (!), apparently California cars have not yet been made, and if they were all the same, they wouldn't be holding back California cars.

So, what is the DEFINITIVE answer? Can a Viper SRT that rolled off the delivery truck TODAY that has a 50-state sticker on it be registered in California? If not, what is preventing it?

Second question. If the answer to the above is NO, then what event needs to take place before a Viper SRT could be registered in California? And when will that event take place? And what will distinguish SRT's made AFTER this event from those made BEFORE this event?

As I understand, California has not yet "rubber stamped" the SRT for emissions. Therefore, while the CAR is ready to be registered in California, CALIFORNIA is not yet ready to take registration on an SRT until they rubber stamp the vehicle. Once this happens, ANY SRT would be register-able in California. Is this correct, and if not, where am I wrong?

Thanks!

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The way I understand it...

"if it has the California or 50 State stamp under the hood - it CAN be registered in California"

I think what has been said is that they have not built any cars yet that were ordered in California.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THey probably weren't going to build the cali cars in case they needed more equipment to pass inspection but now are probably building them because the system on the car will in fact pass for all 50 states. Don't forget the cars that are being shipped were probably produced months ago and were just sitting in the shipping bay.

Dead President

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 97 RT/10 came from an out of state dealer and despite assurances of a California certification, it had none. When I couldn't register it and as the dealer already had my cash, he simply ordered a sticker from D-C and sent it to me. I put it on, and guess what? The emissions on my car suddenly improved and I was able to register it.

These cars are all the same. It is just paperwork.

Frank

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope Steve Furgeson doesn't mind me posting this news:

"Todd, we had dinner with 7 key PVO people tonight and they all told us that the Cali Cert came in 2 days after the rest, so there should be no issue. They have even delivered over a 150 SRT/10's so far. "

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mike:

I heard the CA delay wasn't from the CA cert, but because the SRT-10 requires 93 octane gas. Of course CA has 91 octane crap.

I have not been able to confirm this, but it makes better sense than anything else I've heard.

Brad

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now for the official word from PVO on the California cars. I just returned from the VCA national meeting (held in Detroit this weekend) and this very question was answered yesterday.

When the cars are sent to be certified by the EPA they are 50 state certified however, California requires additional emissions certification (and 4 additional states also require the California cert) which, is started once the Federal EPA is finished. So with the delay of the EPA certification this held up California car builds. The sticker under the hood needs to have "Title 1" nominclature which, says that it's California approved. PVO rep said that the "Title 1" stickers were delivered to the plant on Friday and they will begin applying them to all the cars from this day forward.

If any of the cars delivered so far (and none of them were to California owners) end up in California, and a DMV person makes it an issue because the "Title 1" nominclature is not on the sticker, than contact your selling dealer to order this new sticker and apply it. The unforseen EPA hold-up delayed the California Certification program and any California car builds. By the way, the line is full of cars destined for Californians. Be patient.

Richard Hamielec
National VP Viper Club of America

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may be wrong but I think they are Maine, Vermont, New York, and Massachusetts.

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New York and Massachusetts are 2 of the 4. I can't comment on the other 2 states listed. Anyone from either of those states who can confirm if your state requires California certification?

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made a mistake in my original post....its "Tier 1" and not "Title 1" which designates California EPA approval. The stickers were delivered to the plant last Friday so I presume that left coast Vipers are heading down the line.