Need suggestions for trailer to tow my '08 ACR

vviperr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't need an enclosed trailer as trips will not be that long. As ACR is so low don't know if any trailer will work. Would appreciate any suggestions.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As low as possible and ramp extensions will be key. You can use 2x8's to extend out the ramp so that you do not scrape.

Bruce

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rollback Trailers Kwikload Trailer Roll Back Trailers Kwik Load Trailer

My ACR works on the 20 foot model with just a 2x10 at the edge of the ramp on the ground to help clear. I have my front ride height at 3.5 inches on my ACR. My wife's car is at 4 inches and clears just fine with the track extension on. We picked it because we didn't want to go deisel. I wish I had a deisel and enclosed to be honest but am content with this as a great open trailer.

I have been happy with my aluminum model and now have a gas can rack and tire rack on it as well. We pull it with an Expedition. Good luck.

OP
OP
V

vviperr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Rollback Trailers Kwikload Trailer Roll Back Trailers Kwik Load Trailer

My ACR works on the 20 foot model with just a 2x10 at the edge of the ramp on the ground to help clear. I have my front ride height at 3.5 inches on my ACR. My wife's car is at 4 inches and clears just fine with the track extension on. We picked it because we didn't want to go deisel. I wish I had a deisel and enclosed to be honest but am content with this as a great open trailer.

I have been happy with my aluminum model and now have a gas can rack and tire rack on it as well. We pull it with an Expedition. Good luck.

I 2nd that. Mike's trailer is awesome and is what I am gonna get.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I 2nd that. Mike's trailer is awesome and is what I am gonna get.

I definitely agree that the Kwikload is one of the easiest trailers to load and unload. ( I own an 18' model.) Definitely a one-man job. Look around at the track and you often see people with conventional open trailers jacking up the rear of their truck, or trying to find a convenient depression in the landscape to park the truck in. I've also seen people with long boards to make up for their steep ramps. I've seen more than once a board go flying backward when a guy taps his gas pedal at the wrong moment going up the ramp. I've also seen a ramp fall off while a guy was putting his car on the trailer. He ended up with the frame sitting on the trailer on that side.

Also, when you get in and out, the driver's door is not next to the fender, at least on an 18 foot model.

The trailer is more expensive; but, the peace of mind and convenience is well worth it. IMHO

2BADD-4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I definitely agree that the Kwikload is one of the easiest trailers to load and unload. ( I own an 18' model.) Definitely a one-man job. Look around at the track and you often see people with conventional open trailers jacking up the rear of their truck, or trying to find a convenient depression in the landscape to park the truck in. I've also seen people with long boards to make up for their steep ramps. I've seen more than once a board go flying backward when a guy taps his gas pedal at the wrong moment going up the ramp. I've also seen a ramp fall off while a guy was putting his car on the trailer. He ended up with the frame sitting on the trailer on that side.

Also, when you get in and out, the driver's door is not next to the fender, at least on an 18 foot model.

The trailer is more expensive; but, the peace of mind and convenience is well worth it. IMHO

Great Post Guys!

Lots of good info!:2tu:

OP
OP
V

vviperr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All your great input has convinced me. Checked out Kwikload's web site and trailer is far and above conventional trailers. Will be ordering one next week.

Last edited:

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As low as possible and ramp extensions will be key. You can use 2x8's to extend out the ramp so that you do not scrape.

Another good tip is to jack your trailer up at the hitch to reduce the ramp angle, here's an extreme example w/a 5th wheel... yet with a conventional hitch trailer, leave the trailer hitched to your truck and crank it up (put a block of wood under the trailer hitch post), it helps.

You must be registered for see images

This is what I did with my old 68 Barracuda below... it also worked great for loading the Viper into the trailer.

Last edited:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Should I get 18' or 20'?

I do fine with an 18' and a stock height GTS. I'm guessing that a 20' might be better for your application given Smokin' 2s input. The tilted bed angle will be slightly less with a 20' than with a 18' I think (but not sure.) Also, if you want a "proper" tire rack, the 20' is more accomaodating, although I fit a tire rack on mine.
There are some photos of 18' and 20' in this thread: http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/531243-love-my-new-sloan-kwik-load-trailer.html

2BADD-4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another good tip is to jack your trailer up at the hitch to reduce the ramp angle, here's an extreme example w/a 5th wheel... yet with a conventional hitch trailer, leave the trailer hitched to your truck and crank it up (put a block of wood under the trailer hitch post), it helps.

This is what I did with my old 68 Barracuda below... it also worked great for loading the Viper into the trailer.

2000 Blk/RT10 At a first glance I thought your cuda was a Sox and Martin.....Sure looks like one!

Dave

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up a Aluminum 18' Texas rollback trailer whch works great also for stock height SRT10 but with the ramp extensions as stated by BlknBlue you should be fine.
trailer11.jpg

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One other thing. I was not sure about having a fairing, and was not going to buy one. I ended up buying an almost new traler that already had that option. I travel pretty far to tracks, and I have definitely found a lot of stone chips on the fairing that probably would have been on the car if it hadn't been there. Lots of chips on the trailer fenders also. I didn't add mud flaps to the truck until after I saw all those chips.

So, definitely make sure you have some large mud flaps on your tow vehicle. I couldn't tell you how effective they will be. I've read someone post that they aren't 100% effective.

The optional fiberglass fairing looks good; but doesn't accomodate a raised tire rack very well. Another option is a frame with an aluminum skin. You have to be careful about how much weight that you add to the front of the trailer bed; or, with the car off the trailer, the weight on the front will want to lift the rear off the ground.

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 18' open trailer for sale with extended ramps, winch and a toolbox in the front to prevent rock chips. It pulls great. I would let it go for a good price. If interested I can email pics.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like you're sold on a Kwick-load. If that's the route you go get a 20' if weight isn't an issue. Also get the front fairing as others have mentioned.

I've got an 18" featherlite. I bought a set of "race ramp" extensions for $300.00 and I don't have any issues loading and I'm finally out of the "board" business. My viper has the full splitter on and fairly low front suspension. What I really liked about the featherlite is the weight, 1300-1400 lbs and the large tongue area. I have 1 tool box, room for another as well as a tire rack, and I have a good fairing with room for my battery, winch and two spares tires behind it. Those kwick loads are real nice but the featherlite gave me more room and lighter weight. good luck Mike

OP
OP
V

vviperr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks again for the great info. This is what is so great about being a member of the VCA. If you have a question, so many members are ready to help.

FastGuy68

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is that your Goldrush trailer in this pic? I had one and miss it badly. :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc