Need tire help a.s.a.p........

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am picking up new wheels. I tried to order the pirelli's in 345/25/20 and they are on back order for 3 months. I guess my other choice is the Ps2's. I hate the huge sidewalls but I guess I have no choice. My question is do I have any other choices. The wheels are 19/20". I would have to go down to a 335. I have to call the guy back today to get them ordered. I would be running the 285/30/19's which are the exact same diameter as stock. The rears at 335/30/20 are .5 taller than stock. Please advise because I'm kind of lost here.

Thanks,
Mike

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the Michelins may be your only choice, while they are a hair narrower and slightly taller, the Pirelli's are a tad wider and slightly smaller. I like the look of the Pirelli's. But if your stuck, you dont have much choice right now. I wish we had more choices.

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
we are on the same boat here, I am solving exactly the same problem except of I did not want Pirellis, they're too soft for my taste.

Don't worry about the diameter. I sense your concern is visual - your are not going to have more visual rubber (larger sidewall) then stock.

I'd be more concerned by the type of tires. 335/30-20 is an OEM tire for Porsche Carrera. Both tirerack.com and Michelin reps I had on phone strongly discouraged me from mixing OEM and non-OEM tires stating different inner tire construction which would result unpredictable handling in certain situations. Both 275/30 and 285/30 are not OEM.

The truth is that such behavior may occur at 130mph on a german autobahn...

The matching tire is 265/35-19 which will have larger diameter by 0.7 inch vs. stock although the sidewall remain the same. Because the rear is getting larger too by about 0.6 the height ratio wil stay the same.

So to sum it up by using PS2 in 19/20 combo you are to gain (supposingly) better and more crisp tire then Pirellis. You are not to loose any sidewalls visually. It comes down to personal preferrences, what's right vs. looks ...

OP
OP

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
we are on the same boat here, I am solving exactly the same problem except of I did not want Pirellis, they're too soft for my taste.

Don't worry about the diameter. I sense your concern is visual - your are not going to have more visual rubber (larger sidewall) then stock.

I'd be more concerned by the type of tires. 335/30-20 is an OEM tire for Porsche Carrera. Both tirerack.com and Michelin reps I had on phone strongly discouraged me from mixing OEM and non-OEM tires stating different inner tire construction which would result unpredictable handling in certain situations. Both 275/30 and 285/30 are not OEM.

The truth is that such behavior may occur at 130mph on a german autobahn...

The matching tire is 265/35-19 which will have larger diameter by 0.7 inch vs. stock although the sidewall remain the same. Because the rear is getting larger too by about 0.6 the height ratio wil stay the same.

So to sum it up by using PS2 in 19/20 combo you are to gain (supposingly) better and more crisp tire then Pirellis. You are not to loose any sidewalls visually. It comes down to personal preferrences, what's right vs. looks ...

I looked at tirerack and the 285/30/20 is the exact same diameter as stock so I don't know why they would advise you against it. The rears are a little taller than stock. The search continues.

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it's not about the height. the problem lies in the inner structure of the tire. Maybe (guessing) how it expands at speed, sidewall stiffness etc. It is the inner structure why they do not advise mixing Porsche OEM and non-OEM tires. I am not talking about Viper OEM - that's regular Pilot Sport and not in the sizes we need.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I looked at tirerack and the 285/30/20 is the exact same diameter as stock so I don't know why they would advise you against it. The rears are a little taller than stock. The search continues.

He isnt looking for a 20" front tire.

thewb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wheelsboutique has the tires in stock 345/25/20 1-866-51wheel

OP
OP

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wheelsboutique has the tires in stock 345/25/20 1-866-51wheel

Bro,

What's your name? I'm going to name my first kid after you~! I got the tires coming. I'm very happy. Thanks for the post.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good for you. Situations like this and guys like Thewb are what really makes this website great.

Good luck and dont forget to post pics.

Also you may want to think about purchasing an additional rear just in case... I have one sitting in my garage. The last thing i need is a flat and having to wait months for a new tire. Just an insurance policy.

OP
OP

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good for you. Situations like this and guys like Thewb are what really makes this website great.

Good luck and dont forget to post pics.

Also you may want to think about purchasing an additional rear just in case... I have one sitting in my garage. The last thing i need is a flat and having to wait months for a new tire. Just an insurance policy.

Thats a good call. I am calling them back to get a spare. Forums like this are absolutley invalueable to gear heads. Thanks for the help guys.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Michelin also makes tires in the stock oem size that are not run flats. They breally work well on the street. They are a lot sticker, smoother riding, and quiter.

Robbie

MICHELIN 275/35ZR-18 PILOT SPORT TIRES, FRONT
MICHELIN 345/30ZR-19 PILOT SPORT TIRES, REAR

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte