Need Window Regulator

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got a 97 GTS that needs a new or used passenger side window motor or complete regulator assembly. I've checked Scharf Auto, X2 Builders, and Parts Rack, but so far no luck.

My coupling broke, and the cabled ended up wrapped up inside the motor. After spending several hours trying to get the cables back out, they became TOO LONG! Not sure how that happened. After replacing the coupling, I tried to cycle the window up and down in hopes that the cables would tighten back up, but instead I think the cables got tangled up again.

While I'm trying to fix this regulator, I'd still like to get my hands on a new one in case this one cannot be fixed.

Jason
Hampton Roads, VA

OP
OP
J

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No I haven't. Checked the link, it takes me to the main page of the forum.

Mike, you there? Help :)

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got a 97 GTS that needs a new or used passenger side window motor or complete regulator assembly. I've checked Scharf Auto, X2 Builders, and Parts Rack, but so far no luck.

My coupling broke, and the cabled ended up wrapped up inside the motor. After spending several hours trying to get the cables back out, they became TOO LONG! Not sure how that happened. After replacing the coupling, I tried to cycle the window up and down in hopes that the cables would tighten back up, but instead I think the cables got tangled up again.

While I'm trying to fix this regulator, I'd still like to get my hands on a new one in case this one cannot be fixed.

Jason
Hampton Roads, VA
Hi Jason, The wires got all chewed up in my motor assembly too.
I fixed the motor assembly in a vice horizontally then carefully drilled out the top of the rivet that holds the metal cover. DO NOT DRILL DOWN TOO FAR, just enough to remove the bur ed edge of the rivet. This should then reveal a light blue nylon/plastic cog that the wires attach to and wind round.

Next job was to remove the cables and straighten them!

Putting one end of the cable in a vice, holding the other end of the cable with a pair of grips pull tight on the cable and gently use a small gas blow lamp, this will straighten the cable.

Next attach the cables to the clip then with the motor assembly back in the vice, wind the cables back around the blue plastic reel, (i found i had to take the blue plastic reel off the main motor shaft, wind the cables to the correct position, tension, then attempt to push the reel over the metal main shaft!
Its a hell of a job and took me a few attempts but it will go! Those cables are tight!
The cable reel will want to keep slipping off the shaft, so if there's an extra pair of hands available, Grab em :)
Then get the Metal cover on quick.

I then got a small drill and drilled a hole in the center of the main shaft that we drilled the head of earlier, then carefully with a self tapping screw, washer and some red loctite, cut a new thread into the end of the main shaft to hold the cover back on.

Hope that helps.
Mark
:uk:

If your cables are too long you do not have then wound correctly.
Its a very tight assembly and those clips take a lot of strain!

OP
OP
J

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Jason, The wires got all chewed up in my motor assembly too.
I fixed the motor assembly in a vice horizontally then carefully drilled out the top of the rivet that holds the metal cover. DO NOT DRILL DOWN TOO FAR, just enough to remove the bur ed edge of the rivet. This should then reveal a light blue nylon/plastic cog that the wires attach to and wind round.

Next job was to remove the cables and straighten them!

Putting one end of the cable in a vice, holding the other end of the cable with a pair of grips pull tight on the cable and gently use a small gas blow lamp, this will straighten the cable.

Next attach the cables to the clip then with the motor assembly back in the vice, wind the cables back around the blue plastic reel, (i found i had to take the blue plastic reel off the main motor shaft, wind the cables to the correct position, tension, then attempt to push the reel over the metal main shaft!
Its a hell of a job and took me a few attempts but it will go! Those cables are tight!
The cable reel will want to keep slipping off the shaft, so if there's an extra pair of hands available, Grab em :)
Then get the Metal cover on quick.

I then got a small drill and drilled a hole in the center of the main shaft that we drilled the head of earlier, then carefully with a self tapping screw, washer and some red loctite, cut a new thread into the end of the main shaft to hold the cover back on.

Hope that helps.
Mark

If your cables are too long you do not have then wound correctly.
Its a very tight assembly and those clips take a lot of strain!

Mark - I actually read your older post on this. I did use the search engine, I found it to be helpful. Meant to say that in my original post but forgot, sorry you had to repeat, but what you said above is in a little more detail, so thanks, I'm going to give it a try.

In the mean time, I located a source for remanufactured regulators and ordered one, $490 shipped minus the $75 core charge if I return the one I have. Figured it is worth a shot. I'll let you know if they did the same thing you did.

Jason

JjohnsonRx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
can you send me the source where i can order that $490 window regulator assembly? my plastic clip on the track broke, then the cables wound up in the motor, i'm screwed, and just need a whole new setup.. thanks!
Jon

OP
OP
J

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bad news, the source called me back and told me they had made a mistake, and that they don't have a regulator for the GTS. We're at the mercy of Dodge for new ones, unless someone decides to get into the market of rebuilding them.

On a positive note, I tore apart the one that got all jacked up and managed to get it put back together and working! It actually didn't take long either.

One hard part is tapping a screw into the shaft to re-secure the casing back on the motor. Not sure how Mark was able to get a screw in his, but when I did it I think the screw moreso stripped while going in. As an added security measure, I used some 5 minute epoxy around the edges of the casing and strategically installed some zip ties to keep it together. It's been several weeks now and no issues.

Mark is right about the cables, they can get twisted up. To help straighten mine out, I used a low heat torch with a vise and gently heated the wire until I could get it straight. That is very important for the wires to ride in the grooves of the spool properly. If you do this, you may experience some smoke, which is the grease burning, no big deal, just don't heat the wires up too quickly, else they may get brittle. Took me about 20 minutes to do this.

Another big factor is whether or not the plastic spool inside the motor got damaged beyond repair. Those grooves are delicate and need to be in good condition in order to affect a repair.

If anyone has a fouled regulator and is not willing to venture to fix it on their own, I'd be willing to take a look at it and fix it for a reasonable price if it's possible. PM me if interested.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pleased it worked for you Jay, I have had no problems with mine since I repaired it :)

Your right about those grooves in the cable reel, Luckily mine were OK.

Mark