Needed: Gen4 Viper in Portland, OR

John Reed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to scope out a few signals on a Gen4 for a new ECU system. No modifications would be made to the car, I have a PNP jumper harness to put inline with the stock harness to do all the probing on. I could come to the car also, or can do it at the shop.

Shoot me a message here or email might get a faster response: [email protected]

Thanks!!

John Reed

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you are crazy---- no one in there right mind would let you do this

OP
OP
J

John Reed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Already had a couple offers, but none local yet so I guess it isn't too crazy! Hoping to not have to jump on an airplane to do it but may come to that. I am just scoping a few signals out, not doing an endurance race with it. :DI would very likely sweeten the *** with some free dyno time or something.

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Already had a couple offers, but none local yet so I guess it isn't too crazy! Hoping to not have to jump on an airplane to do it but may come to that. I am just scoping a few signals out, not doing an endurance race with it. :DI would very likely sweeten the *** with some free dyno time or something.

I would almost drive my car down there for John 1700Km if I wasn't working! It would be an honor to work with him! Good luck John

Wiretech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all due respect I have scoped and taped into bcm, pcm, etc and sometimes one wrong move can cause engine lights, or permanent damage. sometimes when I unpluged the computer and reconnect it's ok sometimes not. And don't forget years down the road when you have problems there is always a question mark.

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all due respect I have scoped and taped into bcm, pcm, etc and sometimes one wrong move can cause engine lights, or permanent damage. sometimes when I unpluged the computer and reconnect it's ok sometimes not. And don't forget years down the road when you have problems there is always a question mark.

Then don't volunteer your car simple!

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ummm.....

I am assuming you never heard of John Reed....? UGR..?

Torquemonster06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will check with a buddy of mine down here in Salem. He doesnt get on here much but he is a member. I WILL let you know tomorrow afternoon. You cn PM me your # if you want to do it that way.

OP
OP
J

John Reed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And thanks for all the replies, I have a couple good leads to follow up on.

I guess I could have done a bit more of an introduction before asking for the keys to someones Gen4 Viper!! I still know a fair number of Viper guys but haven't been around the forums as much as I used to be.

Here is a teaser shot of why I need to do the data gathering:

You must be registered for see images attach

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
John-

I have been eyeing up the M190 for a while now- looks to be a nice piece of hardware! Curious to see how it turns out for this application.

OP
OP
J

John Reed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I was able to get the data I needed and really appreciate the help!!!

There may be need in the near future to actually test the new kit out on a car, which of course will require a bit more than just scoping a couple signals. The kit would get installed (just plugs in, no mods to car) and then some dyno testing and tuning. Might not be for everyone, but if you are already leaning toward modifying your Gen4 and want to see some of the new engine management solutions in action (before they are released to the public) it will be a good chance to do that.

My schedule will end up dictating if the testing happens here in Portland or in Charlotte at Underground Racing so if owners from either city have any interest in this when the time comes just let me know!

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I was able to get the data I needed and really appreciate the help!!!

There may be need in the near future to actually test the new kit out on a car, which of course will require a bit more than just scoping a couple signals. The kit would get installed (just plugs in, no mods to car) and then some dyno testing and tuning. Might not be for everyone, but if you are already leaning toward modifying your Gen4 and want to see some of the new engine management solutions in action (before they are released to the public) it will be a good chance to do that.

My schedule will end up dictating if the testing happens here in Portland or in Charlotte at Underground Racing so if owners from either city have any interest in this when the time comes just let me know!

I'm obviously too far away for either, but if you get results (either stock PCM or the Mopar PCM vs. Motec), I'd be curious to see what can be done with good tuning on a Gen IV.

OP
OP
J

John Reed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm obviously too far away for either, but if you get results (either stock PCM or the Mopar PCM vs. Motec), I'd be curious to see what can be done with good tuning on a Gen IV.

Would be interesting to see on a stock one, what can be gained with tuning. I have done a few MoTeC M800 on Gen4 but they were all twin turbo cars. I can tell you the gains on a stock car will not likely be worth the cost of the kit (unless you were taking advantage of other features such as the data logging, traction control, throttle control, etc) but the forced induction guys will be the big winners with the level of control.

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would be interesting to see on a stock one, what can be gained with tuning. I have done a few MoTeC M800 on Gen4 but they were all twin turbo cars. I can tell you the gains on a stock car will not likely be worth the cost of the kit (unless you were taking advantage of other features such as the data logging, traction control, throttle control, etc) but the forced induction guys will be the big winners with the level of control.

You got an email John!

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, didnt know you do this all the time, my bad. playing with this stuff sometimes brings out monsters that make you scratch your head and wonder why....

OP
OP
J

John Reed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, didnt know you do this all the time, my bad. playing with this stuff sometimes brings out monsters that make you scratch your head and wonder why....

No worries man, like I said I do know quite a few Viper guys but certainly far from all of them and to those I don't know my post probably sounded like some 18 y/o kid asking for the keys to a Viper to take a chick out in.

Which now that I think about it sounds like a lot more fun than recording some signals.......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte