Never been asked that before!

VenomAddict

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thought I share this story about some questions asked by a young kid at the gas station.

After re-fueling my Viper I went inside to pay and was bombarded by questions by the clerk.

First question was... "What year is that?" Normal question, right?

Second question was... "How much did that cost?". I told him that new Vipers cost around 90k. Going good so far.

Third question was..."Is it yours?" :confused:

Fourth question was... "What kind of gas mileage does it get?" I replied about 10 MPG. Thinking that gas mileage doesn't matter.

Fourth question was... "Do the 2007's look like yours? I explained that there were no 07's. No biggie, lot of people don't know about the non existent 07.

Thought we were back on track until the last question....

"WHAT MADE YOU BUY THAT?" :bonker:

Sleekride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I have found out in my short tenure w/ mine, not everyone gets it!

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could tell him that you used to work in a gas station and after years of breathing gas fumes you tend to make strange auto choices!

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the same thing the first week after I bought mine. A CPA (who smokes in our office bathroom) in the suite next to mine asked...

1. What is that?
I said its a Dodge Viper

2. He said how much does that thing cost?
around 85-90k out the door.

3. He said, "And why did you buy that?"
I said, "Well, its like smoking, even though its a dumb thing to do, it feels really good and makes me happy!"

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had some 50 year old guy ask me, in a smartass way, if I just had $80k I didn't know what to do with. As I turned to reply he was getting into the passenger side of his shank girl friends beat to shiiit chevette. I thought, "this guys a little older than me and that's what he achieved in his life".

With my mouth stuck open looking at him and what he's riding in, I just said Yeah, and drove off.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the same thing the first week after I bought mine. A CPA (who smokes in our office bathroom) in the suite next to mine asked...

1. What is that?
I said its a Dodge Viper

2. He said how much does that thing cost?
around 85-90k out the door.

I said, "Well, its like smoking, even though its a dumb thing to do, it feels really good and makes me happy!"

LOL :headbang:

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I like that answer even though I do not smoke.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought it because I liked it better than anything else in the price range; there was plenty of fine vehicles in that range but this one stuck in my head as I test drove others.

Wicked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why did I buy my viper?

Because it puts a smile on my face everytime I see it!

I had to fill mine us this morning, and almost forgot the gas cap is on the passenger side. Avoided that embarrassment, but barely!

Jason

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought mine for two reasons: Its gorgeous and is as AMERICAN as you can get. It is mean as hell, takes no prisoners, and is totally no-nonsense. Its not cute, its not *****, its in-your-face raw power. It is not over-priced and does not come w/ a lot of useless hoops wings and scoops. Out the door it will bust the ass of 99% of everything made. And w/ minor mods it will bust the ass of anything and everything that can be driven daily. Period.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The best place to get great questions is in a group of Harley Riders. Never fails when you run into a group of HD bikers that they ask:

1. How fast will it go?
2. Can you smoke through all the gears?
3. What is the top speed?
4. What kind of mods have you done to it?

I usually comment that a Viper is a Harley with 4 tires and just like a Hog some folks don't get it --- just pure , mean , American muscle. Always get great responses, always get good solid gearhead questions, and have never yet in 8 years of ownership been asked how much it cost, or why I bought it. No, I don't have a Harley, but alot of Viper owners do, and there is a kinship.

Nuff said.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
wicked------LOL----i've did that last year with a dozen people looking at me when i pulled in..., i actually got out put my card in and grabbed the pump and then noticed i was on the wrong side.....lol

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I like that answer even though I do not smoke.

Well Tiger you could use this!!

"Well it's like getting a woman pregnant you just met, it's a dumb thing to do but it made me feel real good and happy!" :D

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at the mall a couple weekends ago wearing my Viper jacket that has Sneaky Pete on the back and says "Viper RT/10" across the shoulders. I was going down the escalator with 2 guys in their late teens/early 20's behind me. 1 said (obviously loud enough for me to hear) "Viper RT/10? My buddy John has a 2007 Viper SRT (while REALLY stressing the "S"). I wanted to turn around and ask him how cool is it to have imaginary friends with imaginary cars that dont even exist, but I just smirked to myself and got off the escalator and walked off :bonker:

Back-In-Black

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I bought my first Viper I had a typical old time Mass-hole ask me in a cynical way at a gas station...

"What kind of rich boy car is THAT? A Ferrari?"

To which I replied,

"No,actually its a Dodge"

and he responded..

(laughing) "You must think I was born yesterday!"

I retorted..

"Jealous stupidity is usually a trait of infantile youth"

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got this yesterday..

did those wheels come with the car? answer: no

why would you put them on then? answer: i like em

there kinda cool but i saw this DUB wheels i think those would be better! answer: cool

if i had a viper i'd put some spinners on it! answer: ok

i don't like vipers because my buddy said his cobra can beat them! answer: cool

your vipers so sweet can i sit in it! answer: nah dude go find a cobra with spinners you'll be a lot happier :smirk:

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i get quite a few of these

wanna trade?

wanna race?

how fast does it go?

do a burnout!

rev it! rev it again!! one more time please!!!

do you have to fill it up everyday?

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its great the stares these cars produce. In my state of CT there are more Ferrari's on the road than Vipers. And just for the record, I dont smoke, I was mocking my ******* CPA neighbor who does. Is it just me? Or have you guys noticed that its usually kids under 23 that know its a Viper...seems most older people usually go...

What the hell is that?
Whatever it is it sure is nice!

Also, I was driving my car to a real estate closing on I-95, doing 90 mph (I know, I know..) and before I knew it a State Trooper was right on my ass...too late for me to downshift or brake. I pulled over into the right lane...he pulled in the right lane behind me...after about 10 seconds of riding my bumper he pulled back in the left lane and got on his loud speaker: "Dodge Viper?" I nodded. He said "Nice ride" and went on down the highway. He was one of those red blooded Americans who "get it".

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its great the stares these cars produce. In my state of CT there are more Ferrari's on the road than Vipers. And just for the record, I dont smoke, I was mocking my ******* CPA neighbor who does. Is it just me? Or have you guys noticed that its usually kids under 23 that know its a Viper...seems most older people usually go...

What the hell is that?
Whatever it is it sure is nice!

Also, I was driving my car to a real estate closing on I-95, doing 90 mph (I know, I know..) and before I knew it a State Trooper was right on my ass...too late for me to downshift or brake. I pulled over into the right lane...he pulled in the right lane behind me...after about 10 seconds of riding my bumper he pulled back in the left lane and got on his loud speaker: "Dodge Viper?" I nodded. He said "Nice ride" and went on down the highway. He was one of those red blooded Americans who "get it".

I was out for a ride with my 6 year old son in our Viper. We were driving thru a busy downtown business area when a local police officer stuck his hand out to stop us. Pedestrians were very interested as they probably thought that we had done something wrong (for once I was law abiding). I stopped about 10 feet from them and we gave an innocent look back at them. The police officer shouted from the curb "you want to race that Viper?". I responded pointing at his patrol car "Only if we can race title for title!" He laughed and waved us on. My 6 year old still talks about it.
Jim

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
When I am off the beach I get sometimes at gas stations the usual ***** who comes and says "Yeah, this minivan is not really mine, I drive the "explorer" with the "V8".... fill in the quotes with whatever cheesy car you can think of...

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont want to hog the post w/ my stories, but my town of Hamden CT is a relatively small. The first few weeks I got my Viper I averaged one or two incredibly beautiful women following me to my office, the grocery store (one followed me into the store!), or home. Almost all of them were in BMW's or Benzes. They would pull up and usually pretend they were lost. Then say, "that is a gorgeous car. I have never seen anything like that before." Then they would start the flirt routine. If I wasnt married I would probably be IN A LOT OF TROUBLE right about now. I should have bought this when I was single!

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question:

Why did you buy it?

Answer:

Just because I can.... :)

Question:

Is this your daily driver?

Answer:

But Yes, of course! Every time I am on a racetrack, it is my daily driver.... :)
----------------------------------
Vypr Phil
SoCal VCA Member
2005 SRT-10 :usa: :usa: :usa:

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've only had one person give me negative attitude about my Viper. This was as I was leaving a night club with my wife. This skanky woman was sitting on a stone wall right next to were my Viper was parked. She was smoking a joint and sitting with some scruffy looking guy. Conversation went like this:

HER: "Why would you buy a car like that? I guess you just like to show off, right?"

ME: "No. I bought it because I like it and it's fun to drive."

HER: "Yeah, right. There's nowhere around here you can even really drive a car like that." (Pretty much a true statement. I live in a congested area)

ME: "Sad but true. When I really want to wring it out, I take it to the track."

HER: "I bet you don't even know how to drive it."

ME: (Getting annoyed now) "I managed to get it here, didn't I?"

HER: "You're just another one of those stuck-up rich guys who who thinks a flashy car will impress people. Well, I'm not impressed."

ME: (seriously annoyed now) "You sound bitter. I guess that's because you're just another one of those envious losers who never got anywhere in life because you were too stoned to get off your a*s and work for the things you wanted." (My wife starts laughing now)

HER: (speaking to her boyfriend) "Are you going to let him talk to me that way?"

BOYFRIEND: (Giving her a puzzled look) "What? I think that car's bad-a*s. I'd LOVE to have one of those!" (Gives me a thumbs up)

HER: (speaking again to her boyfriend) "YOU A*S HOLE!!"

At that point, my wife and I were both laughing hysterically. Got in the car and drove away.