New Bay Area Viper

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome!!!
We've got a great VCA region in Nor Cal.
Monthly meetings held the fist Tues. of each month at Mama Mia's in Campbell. We have the Brian Angen memorial track day event on Mon., Nov. 26 at Thunderhill racetrack.

In answer to your questions:
91 Octane is all we have here. There is one station in South San Francisco that has 98 or 100 unleaded gas, and one Union 76 station in San Jose with the same. If your car is mostly stock 91 is fine. If you do some mods, you may need more. I have been running my APEX LETHAL 650 package on 91, so you may be all right. We stock an unleaded race fuel concentrate in a 32 oz. can. 1/2 a can increases the effective octane to 96; great added safety precaution for track days and high performance driving events and it's much cheaper than filling your tank with the race fuels.

If your cats are on, it should pass the test. If not, we can try some tricks of our own....

Looking forward to meeting you, and stop by the shop when you get a chance. We are located in Santa Clara 408.562.1000.

Hope this helps!
-Wayne (LTHL VPR)

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score
I live in Pleasant Hill and have a 95 that I purchased 8 months ago. I bought it in Denver and I didn't have any problem at all registering it in Calif. How many miles on your car? Did you buy it in Calif? Are you going to use it on the track? Apex are great people to deal with in Calif. So is John B at the parts rack. Drive safe.

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris...we miss you here in Tampa
crying.gif

OP
OP
L

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris-
There is a place next store to us that we have worked with in the past. The do smog checks. As for stereo systems, I have experience with several shops in the area, depends on what you want to do and what you are expecting. Sounds like we need to meet soon.
I am in the shop if you want to call: 408.562.1000
-Wayne (LTHL VPR)

VEETENN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you live in San Rafael Sears Pt. Raceway is very close by, go there to buy High octane fuel. If I remember right they have 91, and two more grades something like 98? And 104? Union 76.

OP
OP
L

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris-
For a stock car, you may not need anything more than 91 pump gas. In fact, if you use 100 unleaded, etc.. and you don't need it, you may find that you lose some power.

As I mentioned above, we have had great luck with the RACE FUEL CONCENTRATE we use(NOT an octane booster). It comes in a 32 oz. can. Costs MUCH less than filling up a tank with high octane unleaded gas at the station, and the results are the same! With only 1/2 can you can raise your overall effective octane rating to around 97 when mixed w/ 91 pump gas. We have had a tough time keeping them on the shelves since the octne was recently lowered in CA. You don't have to worry about finding a station, just keep a can in your trunk at all times! Let me know if you want us to order some up for you.

In the meantime, a dyno tune might give you some piece of mind. We can check the air-fuel ratio, and have 2 of us listening for signs of detonation, but my guess is that your stock car is fine running on 91.

Speak to you soon.
-Wayne

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the Bay Area! Call Ted May at Valaya Racing before you do any mods to your car. He worked at Stevens Creek Dodge as a Viper Tech and Service Advisor for many years prior to opening his performance shop (specializing in Vipers). He is extremely honest, really knows Vipers, and his upgrades are very cost effective.
Valaya Racing - 408-448-8811

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome, we do have a great club here. If you can, come out to Thunder hill Monday the 26th of October.
Ted May is the man you should call for mod's or service of any kind.(see his post above)
Good Luck,
Dan

WCKDVPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Welcome Cherm,

If you can possibly make it to Thunderhill on Monday, November 26 there is a Memorial event which will allow you to meet a bunch of the NorCal Viper owners. http://www.Thunderhill.com/

I can speak for at least a few of us who would be happy to take you out for a few laps in our cars.

You can't go wrong with Ted May - he knows his stuff and built me a lot faster car than I can drive! At least that is what he keeps telling me
tongue.gif

Hope to meet you soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc