New best drag strip time - [email protected]

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been toying with a 120mph ET for a while now, but tonight I did it! [email protected]. I've run better ET's than that, but the track was pretty bad last night. Best 60' was 1.96 but most of them were 2.1's.

My car ran an 11.78@119, so with the better MPH, I think I can get the ET down - just need a cool night and a better track!

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

Yes, you should be able to run better e.t's, but your mph was up probably due to wheelspin. The viper chassis is very inefficeint for drag racing which does not allow the car to reach its potential e.t. for a given trap speed ie; 120 mph trap speed with a manual transmission should equal low 11 second elapsed times. Take a look at some of the saturday night bracket race cars and note their trap speeds. They are far better in the first 60' than the viper......and thats where the elapsed time is made. Unfortunatley the only way we can get a better 60' time without sacraficing the rest of the 1/4 mile is to install an automatic transmission, and a dana 60 series or similiar solid style rear end with a coil over/4 link suspension.

This is something that i have been toying with for some time. At the 135-140 trap speeds of my car, with an efficeint chassis easy mid nine second elapsed times are realistic.

It all comes down to how drivable do you want your car vs. how fast do you want to go. Throw some nitrous on that thing and you will be amazed at the mph you will run.....even on street tires.

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,

You're absolutely right - there are other cars running low 11's or even 10's with that MPH! Of course, they are on drag slicks and they launch like you wouldn't believe, but their MPH is close to mine.

I still haven't tried out my Nitto 555R's yet - I don't think they will cure my traction problem, but I think they will help. You still running them over the BFG's? A bunch of the Vette guys at my track still like the BFG's better than the new Nittos - but you (and a couple of others) seem to like the Nittos better.

I'm sure at some point I will be going for the NOS setup - I need to do some other work first though... soon... soon
You must be registered for see images

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well then, allow me!

John Purner's slicks & skinnies combo is the setup for drag racing your Viper. 16" rear wheels with Mickey Thompson cheater slicks, and light front wheels & skinny tires make for a great launch and less weight to hustle down the track. Most board members I know of who drag race, including Tom, use John's combo and get fantastic times on them. I personally own a set as well.

If you have a 2001 car, you will need to modify your rear brake calipers to fit the 16" rear wheel. APEX motorsports handled my car, and did a fine job.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21