NEW BORLA EXHAUST - TOO QUIET?

greatbeyond

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was planning on getting the new Borla catback (part 140049) but from talking to a few guys it seems like it's much quieter (less thunderous bass) than the old borla catback (part 14663). Does anyone have the new system? If so, how would you describe the new sound?

GB

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the new system and it is quiet. Don't get me wrong it's still louder and deeper than factory and muffler delete. However, I tend to think getting it any louder would drive you mad while cruising. I spoke to Borla and they told me if I wanted louder that I would simply remove the rear muffler.

Thanks

OP
OP
G

greatbeyond

Enthusiast
Reaction score
V10 Mafia, I am currently running stock cats, but planning on getting Random Flows. I doubt that I will ever take them off altogether.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Casey who is the Hottie in the New Years Eve photo? She has the same lines as the yellow R/T

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Random Tech should make the car a little louder. Sean Roe Cats may be even a little louder than Random Tech. Check with people that put on Sean Roe Cat. My Random Tech's added a nice tone and aren't too loud. Add B&B Headers that will definitely bring up the volume.

GTS234

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sbkim,

I have also been thinking about the new Borla system. I went to Viper Days at VIR a couple of weekends ago and liked the Borlas that I heard the best (but they were all the older, no rear muffler systems). Did you buy your set up from Roe (including the cats)? I'd figured I would get it from Jon B. with Random cats, but I had also thought about checking with Roe.

Also, how did the Roe cats fit up during the install (direct fit? any cutting and fitting?)? How did the Borla syestem fit up? Thanks! :2tu:

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS234. I bought mine from a speedshop in Texas. The fitment wasn't too bad. The hardest part was cutting out the factory cats. I bought the Roe HF which came with band clamps to tighten onto header pipe. I did get some exhaust leak so for the time being I am using exhaust tape. I am planning to weld it next time.

97fatboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just purchased the RT cats and RT Catback from Jon B. The RT Catback has the rolled edge edge tips and a crossover. I will let you know when I get it installed. I would definitely take a look at the system if you like the sound of Borla with less drone but like the Corsa tips.

GTS234

Enthusiast
Reaction score
fatboy, I had seen the RT system on Jon B.'s site but have not seen any reports from anyone who has purchased/installed one. Please let us know what you think when you get get done.
PS-Nothing like a shop full of V-twins and V-10s, huh?! :headbang:

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the RT Cats and B&B catback installed about a month ago (purchased from John B.) Sounds great. Fairly loud at idle and up to about 1,500 rpms. From 1,500 to 2,500 it is rather tame, above 2,500 the sound starts to come on again. I can cruise at 65-70 mph in fifth at about 2,000 rpms and it is quieter than stock. Once you downshift it wakes right up. At WOT it's very aggressive. Great sound on decel, lots of burble.

The Viper tech who did the install said he had no fittment problems. Said it appeared to be higher quality than a few others he had installed. Welded the cats on the block side, clamped everything else on back.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any pics of the rear mufflers on the new Borla system?

97fatboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
radta7

I sent the RT catback sound file to you by email. I was impressed by the sound, tips, and X pipe on the RT catback. I will soon have first hand knowledge as soon as I get them on.